“Half Price Sushi & Cocktails”
Review of Sevruga Restaurant

Sevruga Restaurant
Ranked #179 of 1 288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Sevruga is a culmination of a lifetime of work, and our complete dedication to perfection. Although perfection is almost always a step away, we always endeavour to exceed your wildest expectations, offerings lush interiors, exquisite dining and an intimate atmosphere seating up to 350. From the New York style entrance, polished marble and solid wooden floors, to the fabulous American walnut bar counter and designer chairs with opulent, imported fabric, it is clear that no expense has been spared. Our philosophy when creating Sevruga was the same as when we create our signature dishes. We use the best possible raw ingredients, combined with professional and creative suppliers and craftsmen to create a truly amazing experience. An elaborate menu offering a vast array of wines and meals ranging from humble dishes to taste sensations, with more complex tastes and flavours. The service is relaxed yet professional, while the view from both inside the restaurant and out on the terrace, will take your breath away! As part of giving Sevruga customers an all-round experience, a Functions Manager for tour and incentive groups is always on hand and, from the entrance to the kitchen, Sevruga has steadfast principles in place to guarantee an over-all experience of grandeur. With especially designed set menus, we can cater for any function. It's no wonder that every now and then we are delighted to have famous faces, both local and international, grace our establishment. A-list Hollywood stars such as Harrison Ford, Calista Flockhart and Tom Hardy, have been spotted dining at Sevruga, as well as our beautiful Benoni Blom Charlize Theron. You never know you might just bump into Brangalina! "The only reason to visit the V&A Waterfront". - The New York Times.
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

What a treat. The restaurant is placed right next to the harbour with views of the sea and boats. The sushi is delicious and you’ll be wanting more than one cocktail to satisfy your thirst.

Go on a sunny day to really maximize the experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 666)

67 - 71 of 1 666 reviews

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

We have eaten at this restaurant many times and enjoyed. We have visited it twice during our 10 night stay in cape town this time around. It's standards if service a good quality has dropped. The kingclip fillet served was not hot and not of the quality expected at a restaurant that claim d to provide quality and service. The prices were typical of this now very commercial location at the V&A so it's not a cheap night out anymore. Service was average. Food not served hot and not a place we will visit again. Disappointed to say the least and failed to impress. Offering a free desert to compensate for a poor quality main event - the fresh fish - is not the answer. We did in fact pay for the sweet in the end. Let's hope they take the constructive feedback in the correct manner and better check the quality of the food that leaves the chefs hands and eyes.

Glyn

3  Thank 136glyna
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

We went to Sevruga for my dad’s 70th birthday. We did not book but walked up and the restaurant offered us a table inside.

The restaurant is beautiful, comfortable and clean which is always a good start!

Our orders were taken, a mixture of sushi, scallops, dim sum, calamari, fish and beef fillets. The drinks came quickly, including a few cocktails (which were very good, best espresso martini I have ever had!). Then the wait started!

It took a while for our starters to come but we were patient and our starters were good. Everyone was happy with their starter and so more drinks were ordered, and then even more drinks until we finally started asking for our main meals. We were told our mains would not be long, so we waited some more and then told the waiter that unless our food got to the table soon we would be leaving.

We asked whether some of the food was ready and whether delay was being caused by the waiter wanting to get the food to the table at the same time. The waiter confirmed that was a concern so we told him to bring the food to us as it was ready. Well, it still took him 10 minutes to get the food to the table. In total we estimate it took around an hour to get our mains to us following our starters.

It was obvious that some of the mains had been left under the hot plate. The fish was over cooked and dry, as was the cray fish. This was such a shame as our party enjoyed the food served (apart from fish and crayfish), the wait for it just ruined the meal. For a majority of the time we sat around discussing when we thought we’d get our meal! Not a great way to celebrate a significant birthday.

This was one of the most expensive meals we have had in Cape Town and one of the most disappointing.

I would recommend that the restaurant simply turn away customers if they can’t cater for them. It is obvious that the food quality is good, they just need to turn it around more efficiently.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Worst pick for our last dinner in CT. Suggested by the owner of our flat as cozy fish restaurant infact it's not.
Lobby and internal room are elegant (very big), outside space is not elegant at all.
We ordered a mxed sea platter (line fish, prawns, calamari and mussels), mussels terrible, probably old covered in a cheese sauce, calamari covered in a hot sauce, line fish not bad.
Worst part has been service, the waiter suggested the biggest sea platter (2800R for 2...), too big for us, so possibly disappointed by such refusal started to ignore us. We have not been asked if we wanted a dessert, I had to call a different waiter to get the bill. The bill arrived with a double espresso we never ordered, removed immediately.
Just go elsewhere.

1  Thank roundaround
Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

Not impressed. I have been before and not experienced service or in my case a lack of service like I did now. Hostesses are great and friendly. I was escorted to bar while table was allocated. No bartender approached me offering a beverage at all while waiting. Another lady showed me my table. I sat there for over 5 mins and no waiter came over - too busy setting tables. Another couple came in and were sat near me. I'm guessing regulars are treated more than other people. A waiter approached them welcoming them back etc plus offering drinks but yet again waiters are walking past me with no acknowledgement. I walked out and managers standing in front but no-one asked my reasoning for leaving. Doubt I be back. I'm in management myself and not happy with the experience.

Tamsyn