“Fantastic steak, awesome service. An unassuming gem!”
Review of Nelson's Eye

Nelson's Eye
Ranked #24 of 1 288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

When we arrived, having never been here, we questioned if we where at the correct place. The place looks a bit run down. Boy where we mistaken. The Nelsons Eye is a Cape Town institution, according to our Cape based colleague. The decor shows the character, and you are faced with the grill as you walk in. No doubting what we had come to eat.

The owners immediately made us feel at home, and the fun started as we walked in.

My steak was slightly, and I mean slightly, overdone, but the rest of the table had the best steak they have ever had. So based on that, the fun atmosphere, attentive service and overall experience, I have to rate this restaurant 5/5!

Everything on the menu looked good, probably stay away from the salads... steaks rule here.

A must visit restaurant!

Write a ReviewReviews (1 153)

59 - 63 of 1 154 reviews

Reviewed 28 March 2018

I went here for dinner having seen a recommendation back in the UK and having done my Tripadvisor research. I booked a table that afternoon for 6.00pm - it was relatively quiet then but by shortly after 7pm the place was heaving and v nice atmosphere.
I went for portobello mushrooms with mozzarella, large sirloin and their mint dessert - everything was excellent though I would hesitate to say this was my best steak ever. Really enjoyed the whole meal and the dessert was a really nice surprise ( can’t remember what it was exactly called but would recommend). Pricier than I have been paying over recent weeks but a bit of a treat for my last night in Africa. Taxied there and back to my downtown hotel were 50 rand each way. Staff very welcome and helpful.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

After 8 days in the Cape Epic we were in desperate need for a steak with a glass of good wine. Already at the entry we knew we were right. While waiting for the we could see the meat being prepared with craftsmanship. We ordered a sirloin medium rare and it was as perfect as perfect can be. If it wasn’t we had enough we would have ordered another one. Atmosphere and service were personalwithout being pushy. Would definitely go going, maybe tonight ;-)

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Nelson's Eye was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel in Cape Town. He was lucky enough to get us a reservation, because it is a busy place.

We had to wait for our table but we got one on the main floor (they have two floors and it was packed). The wait staff were run off their feet.
We could view the cooks ( one of them being the owner) busy pushing out orders.They worked in sync.

Our steak was one of the best we have had anywhere... really!

Ambience was good.. older building with pub style decor.

A short uber ride from Green Point.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Visited Nelson’s eye on recommendation of a local! Booked for Friday night, place was busy and had to wait nearly 30 mins for our table. We ordered some drinks while we waited and I enjoyed watching the magic happen in the kitchen!!

Steaks were delicious, creamed spinach beautiful accompaniment and highly recommend the mushrooms. Deserts were ok, 6 weeks in Cape Town, we had better.

Wine was expensive by CT prices, we picked a delicious one for 240 in the reasonable priced menu, Alto I think.

One of our more expensive meals of our 6 week trip, but worth every penny and we returned again on our last night for our farewell meal. Would return without question.