“Great ribs and steak.”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2016 via mobile

A low key Restarunt that is obviously a favourite of the locals . The service was quick and the food was very good. I had the peri peri ribs that if I had to be objective lacked heat and was a little sweeter than expected , however they where so well cooked and obviously good quality that I did not care and quickly enjoyed it . My wife had fillet steak with garlic and mushroom sauce flambé , her only criticism was that the steak was again so well cooked and fresh she probably would of preferred the sauce on the side . They also have a reasonable wine selection . The whole meal including wine and tip was 800 rand that we thought was value since the pure quality of the meat. Well worth a visit

1  Thank chrisandre72
Write a ReviewReviews (1 098)

366 - 370 of 1 098 reviews

Reviewed 3 June 2016 via mobile

This is a must for any meat eater! I honestly don't think I've ever had a steak this good before. The ambience is very relaxed and unpretentious (so no need to dress up!) and it really is all about the food. I had the ostrich fillet and it was just divine - now trying to see if I can fit in another visit before the end of my holiday!!!

Robyn L, Public Relations Manager at Nelson's Eye, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2016

Dear Sara

Thank you for the complimentary review. We highly appreciate feedback.
Kind regards
Robyn

Reviewed 29 May 2016

We enjoyed some of the best steaks we have ever eaten in this very relaxed atmosphere at the Nelson's Eye. The steaks come in their different cuts and weights, with or without sauces, with chips or baked potatoes, veggies and a salad if wished. We loved the humorous sayings on the place mats, love them or hate them ☺
We went a few times and must say, nowhere else did we enjoy a better piece of meat!
The staff are very friendly and attentative.

Good day

We are very pleased to have satisfied a discerning palate. Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and look forward to having you back.
Kind regards
Robyn

Reviewed 21 May 2016

I was amazed by the large menu selection but was in the mood for a steak. Reputation of the place preceeds any visit. I loved the local pub type atmosphere and colloquial feel. Had a group of 6 Australians and myself and we squeezed into the place but soon forgot the relatively cramped space as we just relaxed and enjoyed every moment. Wine list was interestingly different and wine size servings were really generous.
My guests almost all took on the ribs while I ordered a 500g T-bone and the remaining order was for a Hollandse Biefstuk. We were warned that the ribs would take time but this was not even an issue.
Our waiter (sorry, can't remember his name) was efficient and pleasant. the meal was great and the folks were unanimous that this was a South African culinary highlight. No room for starters or even desert after a meal that was lip-smacking and left no need for wet wipes!!

1  Thank Garth J
Reviewed 21 May 2016

We tried this "off the main street" restaurant at the recommendation of our hotel for our last night in South Africa. Great choice! Franz was our waiter and gave us good advise, without being overbearing, for choices for our meal. We had kudu caparccio and bobotie for appetizer and ostrich for main course paired with a pinotage. Superb! A must-go

1  Thank Gillian C