“Our favourite restaurant in Cape Town”

Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Addis in Cape! Voted best African Eatery in Cape Town, an authentic Ethiopian restaurant that caters for Non-vegetarian, Vegan and Vegetarian clients. We provide a unique communal dining experience you, your family and friends will remember. From traditional hand-wash ceremonies to our traditional Ethiopian coffee we promise a memorable experience. Ethiopian cuisine is famous for its rich aromas and generous use of herbs and spices. The country was historically situated on trading routes that included the trade of many exotic spices; this history has had a tremendous influence on the taste of Ethiopian food as we know it. Today most of the herbs and spices are blended and prepared in the home with great love and attention, as are those used in Addis in Cape. The dishes that you taste here are unique to Ethiopia and we are proud as a restaurant to share them with you.
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This was definitely our favourite place we went to during our visit to Cape Town - and you can tell it’s good a it’s full of locals! The food is great and the whole experience unlike anywhere I’ve ever been. The service is great and they are very attentive. Would 100% recommend this to anyone travelling to Cape Town and looking for a new dining experience!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stumbled upon this restaurant by chance. I was staying at the 91 Loop and had to go through the Church St to go to the main tourist area. I didn’t even know it was popular in TripAdvisor.

Anyway, I decided to try it and just went in. Reservation might be needed for a large group (more than 3), but as I was alone, there’s no problem accommodating my seat.
I had no idea what to order and didn’t do any research beforehand, but the menu provided all the necessary information. Plus the waiter was very helpful responding to your queries. I ended up with the set menu with 2 main dishes and true to the menu suggestion, the portion was enough for two people.

There are two types of bread-pancakes to be chosen from. The regular white one and the brown one (teff). I ended up with both.. LOL. Taste wise, the bread tasted like a combination of dosa-thosai & idli (Indian pancake), i.e. on the sour-ish side because of the fermented batter.

For the main dishes, I choose the lamb and the prawn. Typically, the Ethiopian doesn’t eat the prawns, but I feel like having a seafood that night, so perhaps this want a real Ethiopian experience but a good choice nonetheless.

The lamb (Tibs) was cooked in herbs (rosemary). It was tender and fragrant. The prawn was cooked to perfection. The gravy was sourish-with a hint of turmeric ( I think).

People who are used to spices might think the food is bland and tart. Enjoy the meal with open mind and understand where / why the food taste like it was and you’ll enjoy the meal tremendously. That was my first experience and I enjoyed it very much.

The service is one the other hand was snail paced. The drinks and the bill took sometimes to arrive. As I was on vacation, I didn’t mind the slow service, but if you are in a hurry you might want to ask for the bill mid meal.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Addis in Cape Town absolutely deserves a five star rating. The atmosphere is welcoming and as far as we can judge authentic (we were almost the last ones in the restaurant the night we went, so there are no people in the picture below ;-)). The service is very friendly and explained the Ethiopian cuisine and eating culture to us, since it was our first visit to an Ethiopian restaurant. The food itself was fantastic from starter to dessert and tea/coffee (we ordered a set menu for two that gave us the option to try 8 different dishes - 4 vegetarian and 4 with different kinds of meat). From our point of view a place to go while in Cape Town!

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Ethiopian cuisine is an acquired taste and if you have had that experience in Ethiopia you would expect nothing but the best and i am glad i was not disappointed. i got to have my injera and tips which i had been craving for a while

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

Vegan options are provided. The decor, music and food are authentic Ethiopian. The food is delicious and the prices are very reasonable. The food was not only good, it was fresh and healthy