“Really good Ethiopian, even for a food snob”

Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 1 257 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Addis in Cape! Voted best African Eatery in Cape Town, an authentic Ethiopian restaurant that caters for Non-vegetarian, Vegan and Vegetarian clients. We provide a unique communal dining experience you, your family and friends will remember. From traditional hand-wash ceremonies to our traditional Ethiopian coffee we promise a memorable experience. Ethiopian cuisine is famous for its rich aromas and generous use of herbs and spices. The country was historically situated on trading routes that included the trade of many exotic spices; this history has had a tremendous influence on the taste of Ethiopian food as we know it. Today most of the herbs and spices are blended and prepared in the home with great love and attention, as are those used in Addis in Cape. The dishes that you taste here are unique to Ethiopia and we are proud as a restaurant to share them with you.
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

I'm a food snob and a carnivore. Even I loved the vegetarian plate as each little dish had a delicate and distinctive flavor. This undeniably beats any Ethiopian place I've had in DC, Philly, and NYC.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

I’ve always considered myself an adventurous eater, so when I received the invitation to dine at Addis in Cape, an authentic Ethiopian eatery in Long Street Cape Town I was a thrilled to try something new.
It’s a beautiful setting with the scent of frankincense wafting through the air; one could easily be forgiven for thinking you were in Addis Ababa. Our waiter, although not from Ethiopia himself, was very knowledgeable about the region and its rich traditions. He carefully explained how the courses were to be served as well as options at our disposal. The meals centre around “Injera” and “teff injera.” Which is really a pancake made from rice flour in the case of injera and a pancake made from teff, which is a tiny grain grown and processed in Ethiopia in the case of “Teff injera”. They are visibly different in terms of colour but also in taste and texture. One needs to taste the Teff in order to get the authentic experience as far as I’m concerned.
We had the set menu which included starters and a main course followed by Ethiopian coffee or tea. We had both the vegetarian and non-vegetarian option to ensure we done justice to our vegetarian friends.
Our starter was called Kategna with Ayeb Bergomen and Azifa. Now don’t be intimidated by the name, its Crispy injera with a blended lentil puree as well as homemade cottage cheese with spinach. It was very yummy.
Our main course, which is served in a bowl of injera, the idea being that one uses your hands to break off the injera and use it to scoop up whichever tasty little morsel you fancy. There really were too many dishes to mention, and I really don’t want to start an international incident for my poor memory but what I will add is that there was something for every taste or preference. Some of my favourites where Doro Alicha (slow cooked chicken fillet with garlic, onions and turmeric, Kai Sega Wot (beef stew slow cooked with berbere), Fish in berbere and finally Shimbera Asa Wot which were these little interesting chickpea cakes….this really is the abbreviated version of all the dishes we enjoyed. This course is really deceptive, because it doesn’t seem like lot’s of food but I can assure you that we were 4 adults and we couldn’t finish this course.
The evening was concluded with the most divine Ethiopian coffee, beautifully served in a little ceremony. The coffee is served in a traditional coffee pot called a Jabena with, believe it or not, a side order of popcorn…
In conclusion, whether you are a vegetarian or not there really were ample options, all the courses were different in terms of taste, spiciness and texture but they were all surprisingly really delicious. All the dishes where gluten free mind you, so your tree hugging friends will be chuffed that you took their dietary requirements seriously for a change. The venue was packed to the rafters when we left, a clear indication of its popularity. This is definitely one for the bucket list.

celebrate2016, Manager at Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Good day,

Reading your review gives us great pleasure.Finding your shared experience at Addis in Cape and embracing a cultural dinning experience new to you.
Your appreciation of our authentic cuisine, decor,culture and ambiance is clear in your review and we look forward to serving you again.

āmeseginalehu for taking the time share!

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

It was our first time trying Ethiopian food and the staff were fantastic at explaining all the traditions and what was best to get. We had the set menu one meat one veggie and really enjoyed it !

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We did a walk in and were accommodated immediately. Our waiter was a delightful gentlemen that showed so much passion about the food. The restaurant is beautifully decorated, it was a bit hot inside though. The food was interesting with a good variety of flavours, as we opted for the set menu(veg and meat mix). We absolutely loved the coffee. The service was top notch. I would definitely recommend anyone to go at least once and experience a bit of Ethiopia.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Yes it is on the touristy side, but the food is divine, service decent and the prices very palatable. Our first experience with Ethiopian food and certainly wont be our last. To the point that I have actually researched flights to Addis Abba!!!!