“Excellent Staff and Great Location”

Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
Ranked #46 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 7 January 2015

From the moment you arrive at CR you feel welcome, and part of the good fun, when the doorman strikes the gong and announces your arrival to the applause of the staff in the lobby. This is a lovely hotel in a very good location. Our room was large and comfortable with all the usual amenities. We did not have a water view, but that did not matter. The service was top notch in every part of the hotel and we enjoyed our meals at the Banting where everything was prepared and served exactly as ordered. There are lots of modest restaurants in the immediate area and there is a comfortable feel as one walks around. The Waterfront is a quick and inexpensive taxi ride if you do not want to walk.

Having read other reviews of this hotel, I can only say that I do not understand the bad or unpleasant experiences that other people had. The mark of a good hotel is that they are able to accommodate the needs of a wide variety of people. In our case, we asked ahead of time for a number of things and they were waiting in the room when we arrived. After a long flight it was nice to be undisturbed with our unusual sleep pattern and also that housekeeping was happy to come and clean the room whenever we were ready for them. The doormen and other staff made a point of always enquiring if we needed anything, if we had enjoyed our day, if we would like some suggestions for restaurants, etc -- all done in a friendly and natural way so that it was not intrusive. In addition, to have this kind of service at this price in a world famous city is fantastic. We spent 4 restful nights before starting a combination business and pleasure trip and it was a great way to begin our travels. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamelavail
Write a ReviewReviews (1 556)

463 - 467 of 1 556 reviews

Reviewed 7 January 2015

This is by far the worst designed hotel room I've ever stayed in, including Motel 6 and the old bungalows that used to line the American highways before the Interstates were built.

The so-called suite consisted of a large living room and kitchen completely useless to tourists spending zero waking hours in the hotel, a minuscule bedroom with a queen sized bed that could be split in two – rather than the king, true twins or even two queens that should be expected in a deluxe hotel – and a small inside bathroom with a single sink and no counter or storage space. There were no flat surfaces on which to place or unpack suitcases, no outlet for a hair dryer within a mile of a mirror, and not enuf clearance under either the bathroom or shower door to open either with a bath mat in place.

The architect of this monstrosity should have his license revoked, be shot or – better yet – be forced to live here!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dohnsco
Reviewed 6 January 2015

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The apartment/suite was massive with lovely bedrooms and large bathrooms. If and when I get to visit Cape Town again I would definitely stay at the Cape Royale.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carmel440
TerriJabaar, General Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2015

Dear Royal Guest,

Thank you for this lovely review and for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not too distant future for another great stay.

Wishing you and your family and very happy, healthy and successful 2015.

Kindest Regards
Terri Jabaar & The team at Cape Royale.

Reviewed 5 January 2015

This was our first trip to South Africa so very excited to arrive and get to the hotel to unpack and begin exploring Cape Town. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the doorman and I was directed to the front desk where I was informed that they did not have a room for me to honor my reservation that had been booked months before. You must know that I was stunned as I had just gotten off an airplane after flying for some 10 hrs from London and ready for a much needed shower and to unwind before beginning our evening plans.

The woman told me that they had another group and were overbooked but that they would send me to another hotel for the evening. I was so angry (but calmly stated fine just get me to the other hotel as wanted to get out of that place as quickly as possible before I exploded). The following day, the other hotel let us know what only 1 day was covered so we were to be transferred back to this place and you can imagine I was not overly thrilled as we had tours setup and dealing with a hotel transfer just was only to interrupt our plans for the day. We get checked in (as had the other hotel have this hotel have our luggage delivered as not to interrupt our all-day plans already scheduled) and they tell me that they are sorry and have a nice room for me and that they personally checked out the room and left us a welcome gift to apologize for their not having a room for me after traveling from the United States via London to get to Cape Town.

The room was spacious as we had 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms and living room as well as dining room. This may seem like a big thing but this appears to be the layout of most of their rooms. I went up to the Skybar but it was closed and was closed for the entire week we were there for private events. The one time I was able to get up there they stated that they were setting up for another event so it was not available for me to visit. Also, the "complimentary" shuttle service was not that at all as there is a cost to use that.

For this hotel to claim to be a 5-star property is laughable as that 5th star is all about outstanding "service". Not honoring my reservation upon arrival is not "service", the "free wi-fi" being down and having to get a new code everyday from the front desk is not outstanding "service", the Skybar being unavailable the entirely of my stay is not outstanding guest amenities and "service" and my giving a postcard to be mailed and giving R20 to the head of transportation so that she could get the postage paid and it being over a month later and the person that sent the card to not receiving the card yet is not outstanding "service."

Very disappointed in the lack of service provided by the "5-star" property and although the rooms are spacious there is also mold and mildew in the ceilings on the 8th floor where I stayed not exactly your Ritz-Carlton, One&Only, or St. Regis experience. I hope that in 2015 they really work on the service portion such as sending me an e-mail or calling me letting me know there is an issue with my reservation before I arrive at the hotel. Here's to hoping 2015 brings a better experience but I do know that I will not be inclined to stay here on my next visit to Cape Town.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrbiz1
Reviewed 4 January 2015

We went to Cape Royal for New years eve and once we got there it was good but.... the 31st of December was the worst day of our lifes.
The worst thing that can happen to a person happened to us at Cape Royal Cape town - RACISM!!!
TOTALLY UN ACCEPTABLE THIS DAYS.

WE WENT OUT FOR NEW YEARS EVE, TO A VERY NICE EVENT HOSTED BY 5FM. IT WAS TOP CLASS. THE PARTY WAS SO GOOD THAT WE EVEN DID NEW FRIENDS THERE.
WE WENT BACK TO THE HOTEL AT AROUND 3:30am ( 1st Jan - 2015).
On the way to our rooms we listen to music coming from the bar on the roof top.
We ( 2 couples) decided to go up for one more drink.
We got There we went straight to the bar to buy some drinks.
The barmans where very friendly and served us but,suddenly this guy ( a white guy) comes to us ( we are colored) comes to us and tells us tha the bar is closing and we need to leave.we said ok.
Than while we were finishing our drinks he comes again and says we had 15 minutes to leave the bar.this time he comes with 4 bouncers ( huge guys)
Before I carry on, please note:
We went to the bar around 7pm(31st) just for a quick drink. This same guy came to us and told us that we couldnt go in because they were setting up for new years eve party. Obviously we said ok but....he then asked us: " are you saying in this hotel" - we said yes. he asked again: " are you really staying in this hotel. I now ask, why was he doubting?

So continuing ( 3am) this guy comes with his bouncers and told us that if we dont leave he will make us leave.
By this time we were so upset ( first the situation at 7pm and now this) that we told him to go f*** himself. We asked the bar guy who was he since he was not wearing anything that said he was a hotel employee.
Now this 3rd guy come ( also not identified) and said he was the bar manager. This guy is now sayinG that if we dont xut up he will take us out.
The same guy now, offers us a drink to talk when he realised we were hotel guests. Important: they didnt took bouncer to any other person in that Bar.
Obviously we refused and we left. We went to the hotel reception and we spoke with the duty manager asking for a refund because we wanted to leave that hotel. He then said we should talk to the duty manager in the morning and not leave the hotel because they would take care of the situation. We agreed
The next day, we spoke to the person in charge and she said they wanted us to stay at the hotel and she was going to talk with Bar guys. We said that we could stay if they put those guys face to face with us. She agreed and she told us that she would come back to us end of the day with a resolution.
Well, today is the 4th of Jan-2015, we allready checked out from this terrible hotel, no one spoke to us anymore since that incident. The hotel did absolutly nothing about this incident.
This is unacceptable...we are talking about a five star hotel here.
Some of the hotel staff that saw the incident came to us and appologize for the situation saying that thats not the way you treat a hotel guest. The staff was good enough to apologize but the managers never showed their faces.
Apart from that:

- the service was not good enough.
- they limit the menu for room service with a bunch of snacks and burgers that does not taste well.
- the house keeping guys ring at you door really really hard. If you are sleeping you will definitely wake up.if you dont answer, they open the door and they go in.
- they dont refill the breakfast buffet. This is one of the worst.
- we asked them to change the remote control of one of the tv's and they never did.
- we asked them to wash some clothes, they said we should request it until 9am, we did but they never collected the clothes. When we came back to the hotel (3pm) we called shouting and they collected.
And to finish, they charge for hotel transfer wich is complementary in most of the five star hotels this days.

This is not a Five Star hotel. This is a 2 star Maybe.

We just wanted them to apologize, thats all.

By acting like this is like if they where promoting racism at the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2014
2  Thank Mozambi
TerriJabaar, General Manager at Cape Royale Luxury Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2015

Dear Guest,

Please be advised that we do not discriminate in any way, shape or form. We find your allegation to be completely unfounded. You claim that we are racist yet you make no reference whatsoever of how any of our staff, management, especially at the Skybar mentioned your color.

The facts are:
You arrived at the Skybar during set up at 7pm and were politely advised that they Skybar team was busy with setup. You were invited back after 8pm.
You arrived after 3:30am at the Skybar when the bar was closing. You were permitted one round of drinks and advised that the bar was closing. You were then politely asked to leave when you were finished as the bar was closed and the team were busy cleaning up. You refused to leave and were threatening to the staff.

We have carried out a thorough and full investigation into the incident you have mentioned. We have camera footage as well as statements from staff and security personal who will support our statement.

Regards