“Family Lunch”
Review of Burger & Lobster

Burger & Lobster
Ranked #48 of 1 257 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Fast food
Description: Burger & Lobster was founded in 2016 with the idea of going back to basics of a restaurant culture where people were offered only a few items that would get people talking - a burger, a lobster roll and fresh lobster. The First B&L in South Africa started in Cape Town on Bree Street. B&L has a world renouned cocktail bar offering the best original cocktails in Cape Town made with all home-made ingredients. B & L is a trendy and vibey place that gets people coming back. The Burger is made with highest quality natural beef and the Lobster is sustainable live lobster. Each dish developed the best it can be, surrounded with good people and great energy.
Reviewed 14 November 2016

My sis in law invited us all to lunch at B&L and it was one of teh best lunches I've had in a while! The setting very modern and the food is superb. I cleaned every morsel off my plate and so did everyone else. The waiter was very attentive and very informed (they do only have 3 items on the menu). Just didn't like the way one of the female managers kept hammering him in full view of patrons. The drink were great and they were kid (baby) friendly too, big plus. Their truffle fries are amazing and so is the side salad they serve with your meal...DELISH! The meals are a bit pricey (R175 for the lobster roll) but the food is good. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

I first visited Burger & Lobster in September and loved the concept and the food. Craving the lobster roll, I went back for lunch last Friday and was extremely disappointed. The service was poor, the lobster 'roll' had increased in price from R147 to R179! It was also no longer a brioche roll but two slices of bread. Previously, there were two crayfish tails on the roll but now you get a few pieces of tasteless chopped up crayfish on the brioche bread. Will definitely not return as the services, pricing and food quality have ruined it for me.

1  Thank wvio
Reviewed 10 November 2016

So everybody is talking about Burger and Lobster and everyone in Cape Town wants to go but do they all want to go back? We went one evening and it was so noisy, we had to shout at each other to be heard and even then, it was still difficult. Two people ordered the burger and 2, the lobster roll. Aside from that, there is only a whole lobster, nothing else. The waiter assured us that the lobster roll was generously filled with 2 tails but the portions we got resembled a sausage in a hot dog, hardly 2 tails. Not enough for a man. All the food is very high in fat - with brioche rolls, mayo, lobster (high in saturated fat) and fries and the burger also served with streaky bacon with maple syrup and 2 types of cheese. The only 'relief' is a little lettuce salad, with 2 croutons (fried bread) and 2 onion rings. It is so dark in there, our waiter carried a torch! Service was excellent. We brought our own wine and there was a R50 corkage. The bill for 4, with one appletiser and some water, was R750 - an expensive meal for what we had. We came, we tried it, none of us wish to return. My throat and cholestrol can't take that amount of abuse.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

The lobster mac 'n cheese was spiced just right, creamy with a good number of lobster pieces. Cocktail menu very interesting. The lobster roll tasted good but the brioch bun could have less bun. The side salad served with the lobster roll was soggy and over-dressed. The fries were pretty standard. The burgers looked huge!

Reviewed 31 October 2016

We were seated by our friendly waiter and ordered our main, which was the lobster burger. The food was well presented; we were served a huge portion of fries, the burger was nice but for the price you are paying, I would expect more lobster in my brioche. The salad had too much dressing on and it was served in such a small bowl that it is very difficult to eat from.

We ordered two bottles of water (a still and a sparkling). In my personal opinion if one is going to charge for water it then needs to be bottled and sealed. Not water that is poured in a glass bottle with a broken lid and sparkling water with no fizz because the restaurant was experiencing problems with the soda machine.

But all of this didn't bother me so much until we reached the dessert. We asked our waiter what we could have and if it was ok to have take aways because we were so full from the main course. He said it was not a problem and proposed an array of desserts. We ordered and waited for their arrival and when it was time to pay, I noticed that we were charged for the desserts, which was meant to be part of the set menu. When I questioned it, I was then told oh you are with Restaurant Week, which means you are only allowed the creme brulee! We then asked our waiter if the restaurant could make an exception seeing that the desserts were all packed and at the same price as the creme brulee but wow did it all go south from there. Twenty minutes and two managers later, we left the place paying the bill for the set menu but with no dessert. We were told that there was nothing they could do (couldn't give us the desserts that we ordered at a discounted rate or just give it to us) but could only apologise.

That to me is the worse thing anyone in the service industry could say to its clients. We were really excited to try this new restaurant but I will not go back there and will not recommend it. This was such a small misunderstanding, which could have easily been resolved, but was handled so poorly!

1  Thank Annaelle M