“Unbeatable Bento Box Lunchtimes”
Review of Obi

Obi
Ranked #116 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I am surprised how few reviews there are on this place, guess its catering for local business people and is always busy. This is not a place to just have sushi alone, hence I always take a Bento Box (miso soup, tempura veggies, 2 piecies of nigri sushi, 4 pieces of cucumber/fish sushi, 1 salmon rose) which I think is great value and thoroughly delicious. I eat here once or twice a week lunch which speaks volumes. The sushi is very very freshly made and almost falling apart so some people might think it poor, I like it. Waitresses and the owner himself are all very good - the only thing I dont like is that they add the service at 10% on the bill and the first few times I went I invited some work colleagues before Xmas and we were celebrating and merry and I ended up giving a 25% tip before realising too late.... The Russian waitress whos name I dont know and who usually looks after me is very good and gets me in and out quickly, just how I like it. No upselling, etc. I typically leave an extra 5% on top of the 10% automatically charged. Usaully my Bento Box, coke and tip come to R112

Reviewed 15 August 2017

No frills decor, pleasant atmosphere, friendly efficient waitrons AND
some of tastiest sushi I have ever had. Yes, more delicious even than Kobe Gardens, Willoughby's. Really big pieces - so at first it may seem quite pricey but turns out good value. You just HAVE to tray the tempura original roll (no rice). Buttery melt-in-mouth salmon inside, crispy outside. We came hungry and could barely finish 4 rolls between the 2 of us. The BIG surprise was the top homemade ice cream and coconut pannacotta (not too sweet, happy ending!!)

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing sushi and excellent service. Presentation is very well done and they should be rated the top sushi place in Cape Town! Great portion sizes and awesome vibe.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

I was in the mood for Ramen so invited a friend of mine and set off to Obi with a cold bottle of Hermit on the Hill Skermunkel Semillon 2016. As always the service was friendly and efficient and the food (we shared a bento box for starters and each had a portion of Ramen) was excellent and good value for money. Going again on Monday with my wife.

Ben B, Owner at Obi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hi there Sir,
Thank you very much for your kind review, we are glad that you enjoyed your experience at Obi. I would just like to let you know that our trading times are Tuesday to Saturday, 12:00 till 14:00 and 18:00 till 22:00.

Kind regards,
Ben Bettendorf

Reviewed 7 August 2017

If you are looking for pure quality sushi, this is your place! Big ups to Papa San's OBI! Excellent service, an absolute pleasure to dine at this gem of a place!