“Beyond poor”

The Greek Fisherman
Ranked #59 of 1 193 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Description: Here at the greek fisherman, we are proud of our roots, so expect traditional greek and mediterranean dishes. But, we also believe in moving with the times, so we've added a modern twist to our otherwise classic menu. Our cuisine includes greek & seafood specialities and we are famous for our greek meze, our souvla (spit roast) and our stunning lamb in the oven. Choose from over 20 meze, starters and tapas! Established in 1992, the greek fisherman is one of the original restaurants in the v&a waterfront and is still owned by the same owners as when the victoria wharf, waterfront opened in 1992. Take a seat and get a glorious view of table mountain while you enjoy delicious seafood and meats grilled over open charcoals.
Reviewed 24 May 2024

What a disappointing meal. Cannot understand how there are so many positive reviews for this restaurant. Greeks would be horrified at what comes out of the kitchen at this place. Frozen, cheap, flavourless, powdery mince meat; grey overcooked spinach rice that was basically mush on a plate. Service was pretty poor and the bill was not cheap. Far better Greek option just down the road called Mykonos. This place needs to up its game and wake up to the fact that the Cape Town food scene has come on leaps and bounds. Worse than mediocre. Don’t go.

Reviewed 22 May 2024

I ate lunch today at The Greek Fisherman and was terribly disappointed. I always look for a positive in any situation and I suppose that there was one, that of the friendly open faced hostess. That’s where it stopped. My waiter was clearly very unaware of what was required of him. He kept interrupting me with inappropriate questions and irrelevant information. The food was a major letdown. My kob/kabeljou which is a very forgiving fish to grill, was way overcooked, dry and actually had formed a tough crust on the outside. The Greek salad had clearly been assembled hours ago and the tomato was almost disintegrating. The beauty of such a salad is its simplicity and freshness. I was recommended a side of Spanakorizo which in Greece is true comfort food. It wasn’t nice and hadn’t the obligatory garlic either.

I hadn’t yet finished eating when I was asked if I would like some coffee!

During the plates being cleared I was questioned whether I was full!?

For the standard of the food I thought that R275 for a medium piece of kob and some rice mixed with spinach a little excessive.

I’m not sure that I would return also because (and not the fault of the restaurant) of the incessant traffic noise coming from Sea Point Regent Road.

Pity because on first sight the menu looked really good.

Reviewed 21 May 2024

I took my parents to the Greek Fisherman on Mothers Day. The idea was to have Starters, mains and desserts.. Their Mezze options are incredible! Such a large variety to choose from. We ordered several different starters... Of course we were stuffed after these and didnt have space for mains this time around. (But I've had the lamb in the oven before and can highly recommend this). Everything on their menu is fresh, tasty and always leaving you wanting more. Thank you GF, we will be back soon.

Reviewed 24 April 2024

The outside area is fabulously festive whilst the inside is a bit bare and lacking in atmosphere. Food was delicious. Waiter was very pleasant & efficient.

Date of visit: January 2024
Reviewed 4 April 2024

We have ordered Sea food platter and was disappointed RED SOUCE KILLS THE TASTE !!!!!
Lamb was really good 👍🏻