Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Invictus5930
The Hague, The Netherlands

Great no-frills hotel with breakfast included that is centrally located with cheap valet parking

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Apr 2024
My wife and 7-year-old daughter stayed at this hotel for three nights, two nights upon our arrival in Cape Town and one night prior to our departure. We found this to be a very reasonably priced hotel that was comfortable, offered a hearty hot breakfast, centrally located with valet parking. A bottle of water is provided each day for each guest.

I was disappointed to see that unlike the Holiday Inn Express we stayed at in Los Angeles in October 2023, the Dove amenities provided at this HIE hotel were all in dispensers. I am uncertain if this is now the case at all HIE hotels. I found the miniature Dove soap bars and bottles of lotion we received in LA to be very practical, such that I use the miniature bar in my airplane toiletry bag to save space rather than the full-sized bar I would normally have to bring. Face towels are not provided as standard in the bathroom but have to be requested.

The room I booked was for one with a double bed with a sleeper couch, and this is the room we were provided. Upon our return, however, we were provided a smaller room with just one double bed. We also noticed that the Dove dispensers were almost empty and had not been refilled after the previous occupant checked out. I was unable to complain about the room type right away as we just returned from a long drive and wanted to catch the artisanal market stalls before they closed for the day.

Upon our return to the hotel, I called the front desk as we wouldn’t be able to all fit in the bed unless it were at least a queen-sized bed. The manager was most apologetic and personally accompanied us as we were transferred to two adjoining rooms.

The location of the hotel is fantastic for those who want to stay right in the centre of the city. Artisanal market stalls are set up right outside the hotel, and the main Greenmarket Square is just steps away.

There is valet parking and costs only R60/EUR 3 per day.

Security, however, is an issue in Cape Town and I verified with the hotel staff that it is best not to walk around after dark. We found this frustrating as we wanted to just walk to a nearby Nando’s for dinner rather than have to order via Uber Eats. We did experience being harassed by a beggar as I was turning over my car to the valet, without the valet doing anything and the lady security guard was just sitting inside the lobby and not bothering to survey the area in front of the hotel to see if there were any arriving guests. The beggar kept on requesting for money despite my firmly declining to give any. I raised this incident with the reception.

I would nevertheless recommend staying in this area rather than the V&A Waterfront area, which is often recommended as the safe area. My wife and I previously stayed in the waterfront area during a previous trip and found it to be scenic but rather generic. Food options were also not very good. In the centre, however, there are many options. Other than Nando’s, which was on our list as there isn’t any in Europe except for the UK, there are many affordable options in the centre. We had a great Ethiopian lunch at Madam Taitou, just a few minutes’ walk from the hotel. There are also some Portuguese and Indian restaurants around.

It is a challenge to find the hotel as the street it’s on is essentially a pedestrianized zone. For those using Waze, follow the instructions and you will be directed up to the other side of Church Street. You just have to drive on to Greenmarket Square and turn right. Watch out for a narrow lane alongside the pedestrianized area that you can turn right into. There is usually a barrier right before the hotel, which will be on your left. Just leave the car there and proceed to the lobby of the hotel to request for a valet.

We enjoyed breakfast, which had plenty of warm dishes such as bacon and eggs, along with fresh fruits. This was all the more commendable given that breakfast is automatically included in the room rate.

The TV in the room was useless as there were only a few channels and were all of poor reception. This did not matter to us, however, as we didn’t have time to watch TV. WIFI speed and coverage were adequate.

The hotel staff are to be commended for their hospitality and helpfulness. All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a basic yet comfortable accommodation in the centre of town.
Date of stay: April 2024
1.2 km from Holiday Inn Express Cape Town City Centre, an IHG Hotel
View more hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviews (1 066)
1 066 results
All reviews long street central location budget hotel greenmarket square walking distance company gardens reception staff stayed here for nights table mountain rooms are small after dark hop on hop yogurt excellent location comfortable stay felt very safe hie
Selected filters
5 - 10 of 1 066 reviews
Reviewed 28 March 2024

This hotel is in a good location . Lots of restaurant and shops around. its about a 5-6 minutes Uber ride to the V and A. Uber is pretty cheap in SA, usually costing me about $2.40 to the V and A. It's walking distance to Long St (Lots of shops and restaurants. Gives a Bourbon St. kind of vibe but on a lower scale). The Green Market Square is right in front of the hotel. This market has lots to offer, such as souvenirs. The rooms were dated especially the bathrooms. I spoke to the manager about this, and she said there were plans in place to renovate later this year. The bed in my room was a full not queen. It felt a little small for me alone. It would not be comfortable for 2 adult sized people. Breakfast was nice with plenty of options. A big shout out to Nicky Mgogo ( duty manager); she was very helpful on my last day as I needed to extend my stay by one more day due to flight delay. The price that I paid for 6 nights in this hotel is about what most hotels in major downtown cities in the US would charge for a day or 2, so I'm putting that in consideration in my star rating , thus the 4 star and not a 3 star. My major issue is that the bathroom was dated, and on the small side. If I was going to spend more time in my room, I would consider paying more to stay elsewhere. Even though the hotel is in a busy area, I didn't experience any noise disturbance in my room. I was on the 6th floor. Overall, a decent place to rest one's head for the night.

Date of stay: March 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2024

Enjoyed my stay there - right in the city center walking distance to Long & Kloof Street for going out after a business day. Breakfast was really good, rooms were alright considering the price range. WiFi was good enough to keep working remotely. Staff was really lovely.

Date of stay: March 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2024

This hotel gets a bad rap. We stayed there two nights in a room likely given to us because we are Diamond Select. The room appeared very recently updated. It was spotless, no stains, comfortable bed. Breakfast was fine. The neighborhood was not scary; it appeared quite safe. Easy walk to the wonderful craft market. Quite a long way to the V&A area but easily reached with an Uber. The room was very small, but that is common in large cities.

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2024 via mobile

Very good trip thanks to the hotel which is ideally situated next to a food lovers and is near to the red bus station. Plus the facilities are nice and the hotel staff very helpful and friendly. Big shout out to Mrs Desiree the hotel manager who was very accommodating especially to a large family group of 12 people.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2024

I am a longstanding IHG Elite member so I booked this hotel for a one night stay after arriving off a cruise.

The hotel is a standard HIE hotel with no real frills but was comfortable and well located - ner to Company Gardens, Greenmarket Square, City Hall, Parliament and St George's Cathedral.

The staff was very friendly and the breakfast good. Very good value so very happy. There is parking underneath the hotel if required

• Trip type: Travelled solo