“So-so service and ok meal”

The Butcher Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 54 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Price range: US$3 - US$24
Description: Located along the world renowned sunset strip of Camps Bay, The Butcher Restaurant offers local premium quality steak and seafood. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 14 February 2018

A shared starter and main of steak. It was an ok meal but wouldn't describe it as anything else compared to other meals we had in Cape Town.

The steak was cooked in a BBQ sauce and then served with a Bearnaise sauce which didn't really work for me. I would have preferred the plain steak with Bearnaise.

Service was so-so with the staff not that attentive and a long wait for the starter.

Reviewed 12 February 2018

Ate here twice while staying in Camps Bay, great food and service with views across the Bay. Recommend the fillet steak, perfection !!

Maja_Tosh, Manager at The Butcher Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Hi Phillip Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant on tripadvisor, we are so happy that we could make your dining experience a memorable one. Looking forward to welcoming you again. The Butcher Team

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

As we took a walk down the strip to catch the sunset. We were stopped by a young guy called Alfa. Who explained to us about their steak, sea food n game meat menu we found it Interesting so we stayed in for dinner. He offered us a table with the sunset view which made my wife really excited. We both ordered game (kudu and springbok) which were tender and very tasty. Everything went well. The atmosphere was great, the food was very good. And the Service was beyond excellent. This place is definitely worth a visit.

Hi Ian Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant on tripadvisor, we are so happy that we could make your dining experience a memorable one. Looking forward to welcoming you again. The Butcher Team

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We came here one evening, quite late but were welcomed in by the owner and his staff and at no time did we feel that we were overstaying our welcome.
We had some beautiful Springbok Carpaccio and stunning Trinchado (I need the recipie for this one!). We then had a huge fillet steak and a superbly cooked Rib Eye. I must say that the service we recieved oin South Africa was exellent but the waitress at the Butcher went one better and nothing was too much trouble. I cant wait to go back when we return to Cape Town.

Hi RichK-T Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant on tripadvisor, we are so happy that we could make your dining experience a memorable one. Looking forward to welcoming you again. The Butcher Team

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Average meal at best... steaks ok...

Order a steak you get no trimmings apart from 1 choice of potatoes etc everything else is extra.

The shocking peice was me filling in my 1100 ish rand bill to exactly that 1100 ish ( I always leave tips in cash) and the cheeky bugger of a waiter pointing this out to me... that I had not left a tip.
SOUTH AFRICA IS NOT AMERICA!!
I did leave a bit of a tip after this ( in cash), but I was stunned by the assumption of a tip and the bad manners. Shocking.
I would not revisi this place given the high quality of the rest of the places on the strip.

Hi Gary
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor and be assured that such actions are not taken lightly. we strive to ensure that our guests leave satisfied in all aspects of the dining experience. I really hope that should you find yourself in the area again, that you would allow us to make up for past transgressions.
Regards, The Butcher Team