“Great food with oriental flavours”
Review of Umi

Umi
Ranked #20 of 47 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 February 2017

My wife ate mainly Japanese food while mine was more European in style but with oriental spicing. Food everywhere in Camps Bay was good but Umi provided something different and very palatable.

As we had not booked we decided to have an early dinner (7pm) and were given a great table at the front of the terrace - restaurant is at first floor with a small outside terrace - with a great view over the beach and the ocean. Eat early whether you book or not to get the view.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Most expensive meal we had in cape town. Service was pleasant but main courses let it down alongside the resident rat running around our feet and up the palm tree which the staff brushed off. We know they are around I just don't expect them to join us for dinner.

1  Thank sloggit
Kove_Mngt, Public Relations Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2017

Hi Ann E,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent visit to Umi.

We would appreciate it if you would email the details of your visit to

Michellene Leo

Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Spacious restaurant on the first floor facing the setting sun.
Competent service, and despite some of the reviews all 5 of us enjoyed our food and wine. Given how much we consumed the bill came to R600 per head which I thought v reasonable.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Most of the bad reviews on here seem to be around the service, staff attitude, being moved or refused a table or a certain degree of disorganisation. This wasn't our experience and I base mine on the quality of the Chef - food was possibly ok but badly cooked. Whoever it is doesn't seem to have any idea about delicate flavours in this Japanese themed restaurant. Our Calamari came in a small portion of overpowering and lime based/soy, our fish seemed to be in exactly the same sauce and my rolls were by and large indistinguishable in flavour and badly formed. They are getting away with it based on tourist numbers, there was one Japanese looking lady front of house but that was it. Overpowering badly cooked food.

1  Thank Andrew H

Hi Andrew H,

We sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience. We would appreciate it if you would email the details of your visit to michellene@kovecollection.co.za as we would like to address the issues you have raised in your review.

Michellene Leo

Reviewed 6 February 2017

Japanese? Meh. My thoughts too. But, this place isn't really Japanese, it's fusion and its also very good. Out waiter, Justin was great, just the right side of attentive and leaving you alone to enjoy your romantic evening. We popped in at lunch (as the place was busy - a good sign) to make a reservation for 9pm. We turned up on time the staff recognised us and remembered our name. I ordered the Beer marinated Beef Fillet with Anticucho dip. Yes, I'd never heard of it either! I have to say it was the best thing I think I've ever eaten. If I could only eat this one meal for the rest of my life I'd be happy. I'm gutted we only discovered this place on our last night, otherwise I'd have been back the next night for the same dish. All in all, just a surprising good meal, it wasn't cheap but it was excellent! Decent Don Pedros too.

Kove_Mngt, Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

Hi Hardlypodd,

Thank you for choosing Umi Restaurant as your choice. We appreciate your positive review.

We strive to create a welcoming environment with well-trained friendly staff who understand the hospitable atmosphere we strive for.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

UMI Management