“Disappointed”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 20 February 2017

Most expensive meal we had in cape town. Service was pleasant but main courses let it down alongside the resident rat running around our feet and up the palm tree which the staff brushed off. We know they are around I just don't expect them to join us for dinner.

Visited January 2017
1 Thank Ann E
Kove_Mngt, Public Relations Manager at Umi, responded to this review, 2 March 2017
Hi Ann E,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent visit to Umi.

We would appreciate it if you would email the details of your visit to

Michellene Leo

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good evening”
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Spacious restaurant on the first floor facing the setting sun.
Competent service, and despite some of the reviews all 5 of us enjoyed our food and wine. Given how much we consumed the bill came to R600 per head which I thought v reasonable.

Visited February 2017
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Substandard food”
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Most of the bad reviews on here seem to be around the service, staff attitude, being moved or refused a table or a certain degree of disorganisation. This wasn't our experience and I base mine on the quality of the Chef - food was possibly ok but badly cooked. Whoever it is doesn't seem to have any idea about delicate flavours in this Japanese themed restaurant. Our Calamari came in a small portion of overpowering and lime based/soy, our fish seemed to be in exactly the same sauce and my rolls were by and large indistinguishable in flavour and badly formed. They are getting away with it based on tourist numbers, there was one Japanese looking lady front of house but that was it. Overpowering badly cooked food.

Visited February 2017
1 Thank Andrew H
Hi Andrew H,

We sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience. We would appreciate it if you would email the details of your visit to michellene@kovecollection.co.za as we would like to address the issues you have raised in your review.

Michellene Leo
Brighton, England
“Wow! The best meal I've had in SA in an entire week.”
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Japanese? Meh. My thoughts too. But, this place isn't really Japanese, it's fusion and its also very good. Out waiter, Justin was great, just the right side of attentive and leaving you alone to enjoy your romantic evening. We popped in at lunch (as the place was busy - a good sign) to make a reservation for 9pm. We turned up on time the staff recognised us and remembered our name. I ordered the Beer marinated Beef Fillet with Anticucho dip. Yes, I'd never heard of it either! I have to say it was the best thing I think I've ever eaten. If I could only eat this one meal for the rest of my life I'd be happy. I'm gutted we only discovered this place on our last night, otherwise I'd have been back the next night for the same dish. All in all, just a surprising good meal, it wasn't cheap but it was excellent! Decent Don Pedros too.

• Visited February 2017
Kove_Mngt, Manager at Umi, responded to this review, 12 February 2017
Hi Hardlypodd,

Thank you for choosing Umi Restaurant as your choice. We appreciate your positive review.

We strive to create a welcoming environment with well-trained friendly staff who understand the hospitable atmosphere we strive for.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

UMI Management
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great food, great location, best open sea view!”
Reviewed 2 February 2017

One of the only restaurants in Camps Bay with open sea view balcony. Excellent food and fabulous wine, all with lovely service.

Visited January 2017