“Substandard food”

Ranked #20 of 48 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Most of the bad reviews on here seem to be around the service, staff attitude, being moved or refused a table or a certain degree of disorganisation. This wasn't our experience and I base mine on the quality of the Chef - food was possibly ok but badly cooked. Whoever it is doesn't seem to have any idea about delicate flavours in this Japanese themed restaurant. Our Calamari came in a small portion of overpowering and lime based/soy, our fish seemed to be in exactly the same sauce and my rolls were by and large indistinguishable in flavour and badly formed. They are getting away with it based on tourist numbers, there was one Japanese looking lady front of house but that was it. Overpowering badly cooked food.

1  Thank Andrew H
Kove_Mngt, Public Relations Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2017

Hi Andrew H,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent visit to Umi.

We sincerely apologise for your disappointing experience. We would appreciate it if you would email the details of your visit to michellene@kovecollection.co.za as we would like to address the issues you have raised in your review.

Michellene Leo

Reviewed 6 February 2017

Japanese? Meh. My thoughts too. But, this place isn't really Japanese, it's fusion and its also very good. Out waiter, Justin was great, just the right side of attentive and leaving you alone to enjoy your romantic evening. We popped in at lunch (as the place was busy - a good sign) to make a reservation for 9pm. We turned up on time the staff recognised us and remembered our name. I ordered the Beer marinated Beef Fillet with Anticucho dip. Yes, I'd never heard of it either! I have to say it was the best thing I think I've ever eaten. If I could only eat this one meal for the rest of my life I'd be happy. I'm gutted we only discovered this place on our last night, otherwise I'd have been back the next night for the same dish. All in all, just a surprising good meal, it wasn't cheap but it was excellent! Decent Don Pedros too.

Hi Hardlypodd,

Thank you for choosing Umi Restaurant as your choice. We appreciate your positive review.

We strive to create a welcoming environment with well-trained friendly staff who understand the hospitable atmosphere we strive for.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

UMI Management

Reviewed 2 February 2017

One of the only restaurants in Camps Bay with open sea view balcony. Excellent food and fabulous wine, all with lovely service.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We were a party of 4, + 2 on the way. The staff sat us at a table for 6, and after ordering our initial drinks, our server came over to apologise and asked us to move tables (towards the inside of the restaurant). We said we preferred to stay where we were (as the view was better). The server went to speak to the manager. Shortly after, the manager came to explain that someone else had booked the table that we were seated at (but had not yet arrived) and essentially told us that the reservation was for a VIP and so we had to move to another table or leave. There was no offer of a round of drinks or starters or desserts, nothing. Not impressed with the service.
We ended up leaving! Don't bother going to Umi unless you're a VIP with business connections to the restaurant!

1  Thank siuling
Kove_Mngt, Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

We are committed to you, our valued customers, and are taking immediate corrective
steps to regain your confidence in us. We have begun putting a comprehensive plan in place to provide a better service to you.
Our sincere apologies for the disappointment

We hope that we are allowed another opportunity to change your perception of our restaurant.

Umi Management

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We loved this place both for sun downers and dinner.

Food and cocktails delicious and staff very friendly.

Love toilets too! I love a nice toilet....

Kove_Mngt, Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

Thank you for choosing Umi Restaurant as your choice. We appreciate your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience.

UMI Management