“Wow! The best meal I've had in SA in an entire week.”
Review of Umi

Umi
Ranked #20 of 48 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Japanese? Meh. My thoughts too. But, this place isn't really Japanese, it's fusion and its also very good. Out waiter, Justin was great, just the right side of attentive and leaving you alone to enjoy your romantic evening. We popped in at lunch (as the place was busy - a good sign) to make a reservation for 9pm. We turned up on time the staff recognised us and remembered our name. I ordered the Beer marinated Beef Fillet with Anticucho dip. Yes, I'd never heard of it either! I have to say it was the best thing I think I've ever eaten. If I could only eat this one meal for the rest of my life I'd be happy. I'm gutted we only discovered this place on our last night, otherwise I'd have been back the next night for the same dish. All in all, just a surprising good meal, it wasn't cheap but it was excellent! Decent Don Pedros too.

Hi Hardlypodd,

Thank you for choosing Umi Restaurant as your choice. We appreciate your positive review.

We strive to create a welcoming environment with well-trained friendly staff who understand the hospitable atmosphere we strive for.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

One of the only restaurants in Camps Bay with open sea view balcony. Excellent food and fabulous wine, all with lovely service.

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We were a party of 4, + 2 on the way. The staff sat us at a table for 6, and after ordering our initial drinks, our server came over to apologise and asked us to move tables (towards the inside of the restaurant). We said we preferred to stay where we were (as the view was better). The server went to speak to the manager. Shortly after, the manager came to explain that someone else had booked the table that we were seated at (but had not yet arrived) and essentially told us that the reservation was for a VIP and so we had to move to another table or leave. There was no offer of a round of drinks or starters or desserts, nothing. Not impressed with the service.
We ended up leaving! Don't bother going to Umi unless you're a VIP with business connections to the restaurant!

1  Thank siuling
Kove_Mngt, Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

We are committed to you, our valued customers, and are taking immediate corrective
steps to regain your confidence in us. We have begun putting a comprehensive plan in place to provide a better service to you.
Our sincere apologies for the disappointment

We hope that we are allowed another opportunity to change your perception of our restaurant.

Umi Management

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We loved this place both for sun downers and dinner.

Food and cocktails delicious and staff very friendly.

Love toilets too! I love a nice toilet....

Kove_Mngt, Manager at Umi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

Thank you for choosing Umi Restaurant as your choice. We appreciate your review.

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

Landed here after a recommendation from a friend. To be honest we did not have high expectation, sea front, tourist heaven, steep prices etc etc. However we were pleasantly surprised. Food was fantastic, we had the black cod and calamari. Edamame beans are a must here. Service was good, yea he was rushed but it was busy and it was the holidays. A couple of time we had to flag him down but we understood and when we had his attention he was upbeat, knowledgable and efficient.
A little bit steep in price but what does one expect in an area aimed at tourists and holidaymakers.

Great place and would recommend