“The worst service and stay”
Review of The Marly Hotel

The Marly Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Camps Bay
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

We were booked here for 5 nights and stayed 1 it was that bad...The hotel website and photos look amazing unfortunately doesn't live up to the expectations...On arrival through a multi storey car park we get out of our car and have to climb over the rope as staff on reception watch on and we have to lift our luggage over.We check in and have the most unwelcoming receptionist who clearly is in the wrong job.He asked us for our passports and gave us the room key,no Welcome to The Marly or shown around it was the worst welcome we've ever endured.We go to our room which overlooks a bowling green and looks down on a huge green generator not a great view whatsoever.We then went to the pool which is tiny,smells of food from the various restaurants below and has a very loud aircon machine so not relaxing whatsoever.My husband struggled to put the heavy umberella up and I had to help as there was no staff around to help.Its like we were staying in an apartment block as the staff here really don't want to help it's a burden if you ask them anything.I asked if there was a hair salon and was told to go look myself in the shopping centre underneath hardly great customer service!Breakfast is another joke of this so called 5 star establishment.You have to go downstairs through a grotty shopping centre to a local cafe what locals use & the food and service is terrible.The next morning we decided this wasn't a relaxing 5 star hotel,it was an apartment block with terrible staff and not even it's own restaurant.I spoke to the General Manager as it was our Honeymoon and she reduced me to tears,was so rude and unprofessional,would only deal with my husband & told me to go and pack the sooner I left the better.We was also charged £550 fee to leave as we'd payed in advance,luckily Booking.com kindly refunded this under the terrible circumstances.Her attitude was so bad and she was all over my husband and kept scowling at me.He just wanted out of there asap and knew exactly what game she was playing.
I would not recommend this place to anyone it's not as described and is certainly not relaxing.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda W
GMAlphen, Manager at The Marly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

Dear Amanda

We were surprised to read your review and the points you mentioned about your experience came as a shock to us. I rechecked our records and even found your husbands note of thanks for our efficient service in relocating you to a better suited property.

We are sorry to hear that you misread our gesture to assist and still hope that you were happy at the hotel we arranged on your behalf. Please could you also double check your bank statement as it was not booking.com who refunded you but the hotel directly.

Marly Management

Reviewed 2 February 2017

stayed here 3 times now and we love it it is in a perfect position for the beach and restaurants cabs right out side plus the open topped bus goes by frequently the staff are great and cant do enough for you

Room Tip: number 1 has an out side heated whirlpool bath if you like that sort of thing
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Roger W
GMAlphen, General Manager at The Marly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

Dear Roger W

Thank you so much for your lovely review.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your 4th stay soon!
Hannalie and the Marly Team

Reviewed 15 January 2017

Relaxed friendly small boutique hotel in the perfect location to relax and enjoy the Cape. The hotel has 11 very high standard rooms but what really makes this place is the staff who were always friendly and there to help with any request

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GMAlphen, General Manager at The Marly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hannalie

Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

It is actually difficult to express how much I have loved staying at this hotel for the last 8 nights .
The moment I checked in I knew I was in the right place
I am traveling with my husband and two teenage children
We are all so happy and privileged to stay with the Marly family

The staff -
There is nothing else to say except exceptional ,warm ,friendly and helpful

Marcelle is like a friend that is around to help when you need her
But always a pleasure just to chat for no reason at all

Lungi who works on the desk as well is equally fantastic efficient and helpful

All the staff in this hotel become like friends and family

Patricia head of house keeping runs a great team and makes sure your room is always perfectly spotless and well stocked with drinks toiletries and towels

The rooms are big bright , decadent and clean.
They are pure luxury
Beds are beautiful and pillows are perfect
I could not fault them at all
We have had 1 mountain view and 1 sea view the entire time
Both are outstanding

The breakfasts from la belle are beautiful And fresh weather you eat in the room or at the restaurant

The location is perfect safe and very very vibrant
I would never choose another hotel in Cape Town

My only negative is ..............I have to leave.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Feral23

Dear Feral23

What a wonderful review - we loved reading your feedback and can only hope that you will return soon.

The Marly Family

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

The cutest little boutique hotel, 11 gorgeously decorated rooms. We were met with the nicest staff, who you soon get to know seeing as the hotel is so small. Located directly in the centre of everything, ocean views and across the road from the beach. Below the hotel are many restaurants, most of which are available for room service! Each room Seaview room has a large balcony with sun beds. Offers onsite parking for anyone who has rented a car, and is in a very safe and secure location. Highly recommended!!!!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ash_h19

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review!

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hannalie