“Food okay, but service not!”
Review of Cafe Caprice

Ranked #16 of 54 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Price range: US$4 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar, Cafe
Good for: View, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cafe Caprice combines artisan cocktails, a cafe-style dining menu, relaxing lounges and sidewalk seating to experience the epitome of Cape Town's cosmopolitan social scene. Situated directly across from Camps Bay Beach at 37 Victoria Road, open 7 days a week since 1999, it is a home for many Cape Townians and a must visit destination for tourists. Camps Bay beach is the ultimate sunset viewing spot and Cafe Caprice provides the perfect backdrop, as DJ's fill the space with laid back music from Thursday to Sunday with a deep, chilled house soundtrack. Cafe Caprice is a landmark on the Camps Bay promenade and an indelible part of the Cape Town bar and entertainment scene.
Reviewed 1 October 2018

The food was not bad at this restaurant. However, the service was really bad. We waited very long to be recognised and serviced. We had to call somebody to serve us! Food was okay, but wine expensive and the cheaper ones not up to standard.

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here for a late lunch. Staff were polite, friendly and attentive. My husband enjoyed his burger and my calamari was cooked really well.

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

So this is where we selected we would catch up with friends for Sundowners. I could have easily touted for work in the latest b grade movie given the movie crowd hanging out there.

The hip, cool and pretty movie making and acting crowd were out in force. Pulling up in their overpriced European cars and seriously some of them had an entourage. I suspect the under dressed young ladies were a touch chilly as heating was only happening inside.

The staff were excellent in letting us get a large table together at the front as the sun was going down. They were also cool about the friends coming in dribs and drabs and us holding a large table.

Unfortunately the nachos were terrible and cause this rating to drop a star. My niece made the call with her first sniff. Oh my dear lord. As an Australian I am often embarrassed with our interpretation of Mexican food but what was done to these corn chips was actually criminal. The wrong kind of chilli was added to them.

This joint turns into a night club as it goes into night time causing us to leave as we had niece was with us.

As a former smoker I found the smoke from the pretty hip young things chain smoking on the foot path vomit - is.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Had a late lunch on a Sunday. Not really my type of scene but thought I would give it a try. Clair served us lovely super friendly service. Espetada was amazing. Young vibe so visit during the day if you want it more relaxed.

Date of visit: September 2018
Lina L, Public Relations Manager at Cafe Caprice, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Hi Olivia

We glad you have Caprice a try! And we hope you visit us again. And we happy to hear that the service you received from Clare was great. Our Espatada is the best

Till next time

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

We were there with 11 people and got extremely bad service. We got tab water in the beginning and after we finished that, we asked 3 times (!!!) for more, but didn‘t get any. Totally not understandable as every one of us ordered expensive cocktails and milkshakes as well. Next thing is that we got recommended table nachos as a starter while we waited for the food - and it came at the same time as the food ;-( also some people ordered extra sweet potatoe fries and also got it confirmed, but when the food came and when we asked 2 times where the sweet potatoe fries are he told us 10 minutes later, that they ran out of them. My burger was cold, but got heated up quite quickly. My friends’ rumpsteak was not medium rare as ordered, it was well done. Extremely annoying with the water, as people were thirsty. The waiters were not organized at all and that was weird because the restaurant wasn’t even fully booked. In the end I asked for a milkshake - which never came. When we asked for the bill the waiter pointed out that what we payed wasn’t enough and that tip was not included - we payed the correct amount but who wants to give tip when service/food were so horrible?!

Date of visit: August 2018
Lina L, Public Relations Manager at Cafe Caprice, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Hi Llama

Please send us your contact details so we can rectify this issue.

candice@cafecaprice.co.za

We apologize sincerely for the bad service.