“Excellent Fish and Sushi !! The best in Camps Bay.”

Codfather Seafood & Sushi
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Camps Bay
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2016

We loved this restaurant. The menu was excellent, you can have fresh caught anything there and it comes straight out of the Atlantic that day. It is a bit hidden behind the cafe's along the beach front. It is located at the end of the strip. Really worth finding.

Write a ReviewReviews (3 330)

1 074 - 1 078 of 3 330 reviews

Reviewed 9 February 2016

We'd seen Codfather on TripAdvisor...and found it to be excellent...buzzy atmosphere, great service, excellent freshly prepared fish dishes...not particularly cheap and not the place for a romantic dinner...but great for a fun night out.
Two sittings 7pm and 9pm...and can be a bun-fight choosing your fish as everyone turns up similar time....get there 15mins early is my tip....which i'll probably rue making on my next visit.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

We were booked on the 9pm sitting but when we arrived at 8.30 we were shown straight to a table.
We were shown straight to the fish counter and asked to chose which we did. Only when we were served with our food within 10 minutes did I realise we had not been offered the sushi starter. When I questioned the waiter, he said 'you didn't ask'?????
Fish was good but definitely not the best we had.
With no dessert the whole experience was over in 45 minutes, not my idea of a good meal out.

Reviewed 8 February 2016

I have known this place since it opened about 16 years ago. It has become everybody's darling quickly, everybody recommends it and you-have-to-have-been-there. It has remained as simple, overcrowded and loud as it has always been. The clientele has aged (let's go somewhere loud with basic interior and feel young again), and the prices have gone through the roof for what you get.

Your (very friendly) service person takes you to a fish-and seafood-counter which is stunnig and mouthwatering.
You choose what and as much you want, you pay by weight. Most people overestimate their appetite – the presentation just too tempting.

The wine by the glass for 65 Rand costs more than otherwise in South Africa (R25 - R45). OK, it's Capetown, here you pay almost double. The white wine came in a warm glass and I had to order icecubes for it.

The selection and the creativity of the sushi bar is poor. The same california rolls, tuna and salmon nigiri or sashimi, some maki. No hand rolls. I asked if they had salmon roe and got some pieces made up with some kind of substitute without asking me before if I would accept a substitute – with mayonnaise in as well (mayonnaise on sushi, typical CPT, but not Japanese). Seaweed was not available either, just soybeans.

We ordered a portion of fish and chips to abbreviate the stay. The order altogether was the amount that one single person would eat, without expensive seafood things.

The quality can compare to Ocean Basket!

Including the tip, the bill was R 520; R 300 would have been more appropriate.
By "mistake" we were charged too much: R 570; but got R 50 back in cash because I noticed the discrepancy on the CC slip. (Not that this would have made me poor .... )

Bring them some more money and you can tell you have been to the famous Codfather ....

Reviewed 8 February 2016

Not bad but not at all special. Cooking fish is really difficult
to get just right but only one of the four main dishes served to our group of four was good (excellent in fact). One was cooked beyond edibilty and the other two were over cooked. The management dealt with it pretty well and reduced the bill fairly but It did not produce a memorable evening. A shame, it's nearly great...