Lowest prices for your stay
R 9 957
Agoda.com
R 8 542
Breakfast included
Multiple ways to pay
All reviews game lodge watering hole private concession outdoor shower high tea south africa the reserve buffet style animals including our honeymoon enjoyed every minute afternoon drives water hole wonderful experience per day african bush safari experience
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 February 2024 via mobile

I have been to this lodge many times, first 3-4 times 2015-2018, and now this last week. In the intervening times it has doubled in size from around 13 rooms to 20+, so with that it has become more commercial and less „intimate“. It is certainly not an exclusive lodge, but it is a fine lodge at a fair price, if a little large now for my liking.

Food is Ok, but again it feels the commercial mass cook has set in, despite the sometimes 3 options per starter, meal, desert. In the past we would sit on the veranda to eat in view of the water hole and gardens…much more special.- now it is in a purpose build dining hall, which feels like a hotel lobby…..this is what I mean by commercial and no more special.

It offers baby sitting now too…..my kids are grown up so I can understand the value in that - but it also means it attracts younger families, which if this is not what you want to be surrounded by, find another lodge.

Attention to detail has dropped - my room was missing a towel rail or hook ( it was broken I guess, the holes are still on the wall) and also some loose boards around the swimming pool - not so safe. Guides are good, but I got a little tired of hearing „I don’t know“ from our guide….he should know or at least offer to find out….

So….based on previous experience and the changes, I would not go again….next time I find a more cozy and smaller lodge with more personality. But it is still good and most will be just fine here, perfect for first timers as much as experienced and to be fair the value is better the other lodges.

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Black Rhino Game Lodge, Guest Services / Front Office at Black Rhino Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2024

Dear David,

Thank you for your review. It was still an honor to have been your host at Black Rhino Game Lodge.

Reviewed 10 February 2024

Would I recommend it - not sure
Would I go again - No
Was I expecting more - yes

Just back from three nights at Black Rhino - we are South African who have moved to Ireland - I think maybe if you have never been ‘on safari’, to the bush you could enjoy but if you want to see the animals and have time to watch them and it’s not just a tick box of one animal after another - you would be okay

The first four game drives were a complete tickbox - not sure if the other guests on the game vehicle , who had already been there a day had given the field guide a list of what they wanted to see cause every sighting was rushed
We had a brilliant opportunity to watch elephants playing in the water - we stayed for maybe two or three minutes- I got four pictures and just like that we were off - and it wasn’t because the quota of cars had been reached we were last to arrive and first to leave
Same with a lion sighting - last to arrive first to leave
The last two drives he seemed to slow down and it was so much more enjoyable
One morning game drive was shorter and when we got back was told it was because the other guests had to check out so we had to come back early - that’s okay - but think that should have been communicated before we left in the morning

The food - some was good others not great - the experience of sitting outside by the fire was lovely - unfortunately I presumed we would do that every night from other places and experiences but only had that once and other time in the restaurant with music playing so didn’t get the busy experience at all at those meals

I feel it’s hit and miss experience so for some guests will be awesome and others not depending on your timing and what you get to experience

Another thing will remember to check next time is if the field guide works with a tracker - I assumed there would be a tracker so that’s my fault

Over my daughter did enjoy it - it was her first bush experience - but even she said she wished we could have watched the animals a little longer and not just driven off

Room tip: If this is your first experience to the bush and want a tick list of animals to mark off then you may be happy with experience
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review, it was still an honor to have been your host at Black Rhino Game Lodge. We will look into all departments, thank you for the feedback.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in South Africa.

Reviewed 30 January 2024 via mobile

All staff were super friendly and helpful. Dolfie our game driver was really knowledgeable and we saw all the animals!!
Food was really good and you never went hungry!
We also had the bonus of being able to watch the hippos and elephants come and play in the waterhole in front of the lodge. Just a dream come true experience.

Room tip: Bring a rain jacket and warm clothes as the morning game drives can be quite cold.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Black Rhino Game Lodge, Guest Services / Front Office at Black Rhino Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2024

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your beautiful review, it was an honor to have been your host at Black Rhino Game Lodge.
We are so thankful that you had the opportunity to experience the animals at our waterhole.

We hope you will come and visit us soon!

Reviewed 28 January 2024

Black rhino have been a great experience! The only bad thing was that it ended, we should booked a couple days more. Our ranger Dolfie was fantastic! Educated us about every animal we saw and he made sure we hade a experience to remember for rest of our life's!

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank you so kindly for your beautiful words, it was an honor to have been your host at Black Rhino Game Lodge.
We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was memorable.

We hope you will come and visit us soon!

Reviewed 26 January 2024

Such a lovely place! The staff was so kind and the atmosphere was amazing! Our ranger, Dolfie, was the best!! He made our experience better than we could’ve imagined. He went above and beyond to show us all the animals and beautiful places in the park. Our first time in SA will always be special, thanks to Dolfie and the wonderful staff!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

Thank you so kindly for the beautiful words, it was an honor to have been your host at Black Rhino Game Lodge.
We are so thankful that you had a great safari experience.

We hope you visit us soon!