Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Karen Goument
Scottburgh, South Africa

Excellent comfortable and mystical

Review of Bain's House
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Jan 2017via mobile
My husband and I arrived mid afternoon and was greeted by a very hospitable hostess. We were show around the guest house and given a room with a view of the gardens and river in the distance. The old style rooms reminded my hubby of his childhood they were very big and spacious. The room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable. We sat on the deck waiting for the rain to stop before taking a short walk to a restaurant. The whole guest house and garden have a mystical appearance. We would go back again if in the area.
Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Riverfront, elegant, simply the most regal guesthouse in Upington. Completely renovated October
0.4 km from Bain's House
Pool
    R 1 476
5.5 km from Bain's House
Free parking
Lovely decor in the "red and white room".
  • Vio.com
1.7 km from Bain's House
Room service
Standard room with one Queen size bed
    R 1 313
1.0 km from Bain's House
    R 1 964
24.5 km from Bain's House
Go to your Happy Price
24.4 km from Bain's House
Restaurant
A view from the street out front
    R 1 156
4.2 km from Bain's House
View more hotels in Upington
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 December 2016

When we arrived in the afternoon, there was nobody in the lodge to open the gate.We waited half an hour at nearly 40 degrees!! We called their number, but nobody picked up the phone.Finally we asked a neighbour what to do and he called the owner.After another ten minutes a man arrived, let us in, gave us the key and informed us very shortly about breakfast and the room.No wifi password from him. He told us, that he was taking a break and it seems he wanted to leave asap! We sent a mail to this lodge one week before arrival to ask, if they can arrange appointments for us at a heardresser on the next day...but nothing was arranged!We are totally disappointed about this "service"and we are wondering, that the owner is managing this lodge in this way,
because there is a strong competition with more than 200 B&Bs in Upington...and we
choose this bad one.Fortunately just for one night and never again!Some more points, which we must complain:
Wifi very limited, not working at the pool
Not one sunlounger to stretch the legs
Honestybar(offered in the information book in the room!)"filled"with just one bottle of sweet white wine and a half bottle of Rosewine, nothing more!!

Date of stay: December 2016
Reviewed 4 June 2016

We stayed here while on a self-fly safari from Johannesburg to Namibia. The staff picked us up from Uppington Airport, helped us select a nice place for dinner, and gave us a very pleasant stay. The grounds are well kept.

Date of stay: May 2016
1  Thank CyberDawg
Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

The lady (Maria) who assisted me was super friendly and very pleasant.
I'd give the room I stayed in a 5,5/10....reasons being: it was a bit too close to the main road so I could clearly hear cars all night. Bathrooms were neat, but quite old fashioned (not in a trendy way either) The tv's placing in the top left corner of bedroom made it very uncomfortable to watch any tv.
On the plus side, staff were exceptionally friendly, breakfast was excellent and my stay was pleasant.
I may try a different B&B on my next trip purely for trying something new, and NOT because I was that unhappy with Bains House.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Leigh R
Reviewed 7 March 2016

This guesthouse is located near, but not on, the Gariep River. It has a lovely stoep where you can sit and have a partial view of the river. The breakfast was good and the staff very friendly, helpful and accommodating. My colleague was quite happy with his room, but I got a room with only a tiny window - dark unless you left the door open. I would not recommend this particular room (number 5). There is free wifi if you ask to be put on the system, but that seemed to work only in the main building, while our rooms were on the street away from the main house.

Room tip: Just not room 5.
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2015

We stayed in Upington en route to the Richtersveld for a cycle tour. I would rate this guest house between average and above average ... the room was big and clean and the bed comfortable, but it was a little stark and lacking in character. The breakfast was very average. We were given very limited free wifi and I think at the rate there should be free wifi (at the very least).

Date of stay: September 2015