Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Shawn H
Washington DC, District of Columbia

Homey Oasis

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 01 Sept 2019
My partner and I stayed in the Swiss chalet for our first night in South Africa on a two week trip. We stayed in the Rossini Swiss Chalet, a stand-alone cottage on the property with two beds, a kitchen and dining table, a private bathroom, and a small outdoor patio. The property includes a beautiful, quiet space around the pool, with tropical trees, birds, and pleasant outdoor entertaining space. While the pool was not clean while we were there, as it was the South African "winter", it was still a pleasant outdoor space.

Entering the property could feel awkward for those unprepared, as you approach an apparently closed gate. Don't be deterred, as it is usually unlocked during the day and there were staff around who helped upon request. Driving into and out of the property is a bit tight for those used to wide American highways, but it is manageable. While there were two-or-three people present when we checked in, it wasn't immediately clear who was responsible for what and the host, Jacqueline, was understandably away at the time. That said, the appropriate key was produced after some conversation and we got parked and settled without significant challenge.

The room itself was cozy, comfortable, and well-equipped. There were some ants in the bathroom, but the environment in Upington seems to make the battle against insects an uphill one, and they appeared to be both unavoidable and harmless in all our lodging during our trip.

The highlight of our stay was our breakfast with Jacqueline, which I recommend for anyone with a large appetite. The breakfast was elaborate by any standard and speaks to the French and Swiss background of the hostess. Served on fine china on the patio overlooking the pool - the home-baked breads, cheeses, home-made preserves, pastries, omelettes, fruits, and cereals made for one of the more impressive breakfasts we have ever enjoyed, all for a price that seemed so low it bordered on an unreasonably good value. Given our experience with the breakfast, I feel confident that we would have also enjoyed the dinner if we had taken advantage of it.

Even more enjoyable then the food however, was the opportunity for a conversation with Jacqueline, the hostess. Her insights into South Africa and her experience and background were interesting and welcome. While any such discussions could be uncomfortable and the language used in South Africa differs from that used in the United States, what was clear was the hostess's concern for the country and its people.

The price for the room was completely reasonable and we enjoyed our stay. That said, the hostess did attempt to raise the price over that which was quoted on Booking.com, but that was understandably the result of our booking far in advance of our stay. We would recommend a la Fugue for those looking for a true, homey, bed and breakfast experience with incredible food.
Date of stay: August 2019
Room Tip: Rossini was a large, private and comfortable space.
4.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
1.3 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
One of 2 Sparkling Pools
3.7 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Pool
Riverfront, elegant, simply the most regal guesthouse in Upington. Completely renovated October
4.5 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Free parking
Lovely decor in the "red and white room".
  • Vio.com
5.1 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Go to your Happy Price
27.9 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Restaurant
A view from the street out front
    R 1 140
5.3 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
View more hotels in Upington
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 December 2018 via mobile

We’ve spent 4 weeks at this place and it was the best choice we could possible make! Friendly and attentive host, good accommodation and absolutely amazing garden, fully equiped with lots of cool garden gadgets and small but nice pool. An ideal stress release place))
We will definitely stay there again on our next trip!

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

The only reason this establishment got one star from me is because your system does not allow for zero.

I wanted to make sure of the pricing and phoned the establishment. I was told that the pricing on Trip Advisor was wrong and I was quoted R830 for the room. R300 deposit was also required, contrary to what was indicated on Trip Advisor. I accepted the quote as given by the owner, but when I received the confirmation email from the owner the price was hiked to R850. I left it at that and paid the deposit. I further informed the owner that we wish to book in earlier (between 10-11) and she said it would be no problem at all.

We were held up during our journey and only arrived at 12:30. Our room was not ready, as a matter of fact they did not even started to clean it. Needless to say we were annoyed as we requested, expected and paid for a room to be clean and ready on arrival.
The owner was not on the premises and we had to try and resolve this issue with the cleaner. She eventually phoned the owner who informed us that the previous guests left late and there was nothing she could do.
They did offer us a different room with only beds an no decent seating. This was not acceptable as this was a business trip. We then thought of waiting for the initial room to be cleaned. On inspection, this room was sub standard and smelling of suspected cat pee.
We decided to waive the insisted upon deposit (I can now understand why it is insisted upon) and found descent accommodation elsewhere. Which we easily did.
The rest of the establishment is unkept. The grass is long, the garden untidy and the gate was left wide open - maybe security is not an issue in Upington...

To summarize, if this was the last place in Upington to sleep at, I will rather sleep in my car.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Eduan1
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2019

Sorry, but I find no comment to add to such a nasty review.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed at La Fugue for only one night although had planned to stay for 2. Although Jacky, the host, was warm and welcoming, the accommodation was extremely disappointing. Our three daughters slept in one (very cluttered) room and we stayed in a room opposite theirs. Jacky’s room was between our 2 rooms so privacy was limited. Our biggest problems were that a) our bed was incredibly uncomfortable as it sagged in the middle, forcing us to sleep on top of each other, b) our room stank of cigarette smoke which was more unpleasant than I can describe, and c) despite advertising as self-catering, there was insufficient space to prepare anything (the ‘kitchen’ is a TINY space right outside Jacky’s room, with no sink - I washed lettuce in the bathroom basin - no oven and a filthy chopping board among other inadequate things. We could not lock our kids in their room (the internal door into the family ‘passage’ could not be locked and I felt insecure about that. Needless to say we checked out and left first thing in the morning. At R1500 for the night, it was overpriced for what we got.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 959kerry
Castella J, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

I am also very disapointed about your comment and apologize for this. However you should have spoken to me and l could possibly have done something to help you and move you in another unit. Ihad already quite a lot of families in thiere and never had any comments. Nevertheless l am sorry about you being so disapointed. Actually we are busy upgrading this appartment and we are sure that the future will be better.

Reviewed 19 July 2018

I was there for 5 months for work. It is a perfect place to rest, with a beautiful pool to have fun and comfortable rooms. Everything is very clean. The owner is charming and very attentive. The best Upington site

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Castella J, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Dear Pablo thank you for this nice comment. It has been a pleasure having you and your colleagues in my house. I wish you all the best for your future and maybe l' ll see you again. Jacky

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Jaqueline (Jaqui), the owner/host, kindly collected us from the airport (and dropped us there again the next morning). During the drive, she passed on some interesting information about Upington, the place she has made her home for the last 27 years. Jaqui does dinner at her house if you order in advance. We hadn't ordered, so she pointed out a restaurant close to the house that we could walk to. The property is at the edge of the Orange river floodplain, so it's several degrees cooler than the town. The lush, well tended garden, lapa and pool and are very welcoming. Jaqui offered us a welcome drink and sat and chatted with us by the pool. The room and bathroom were nice, with wifi, air-conditioning for summer and electric blankets for winter. Breakfast was European and magnificently presented and served. Fresh fruit, homemade yoghurt, bread, preserves, croissants and sweet pastries. The croissants were possibly the best I have had in SA. Excellent coffee and a Spanish omelette rounded the experience off perfectly. After breakfast we wished we had ordered the dinner in advance. I'd be willing to go out of my way to visit Jaqui's place again!

Room tip: The room above the pool was nice.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sean O
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

What a nice and thoughtful comment which I do appreciate fully. It was a pleasure to have you in my house and this is a promise, I shall cook for you, the best dinner next time you shall come in Upington. I hope that you did enjoy your trip overall. Bien cordialement a vous. Jacqueline