Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
959kerry
Cape Town, South Africa

Very disappointing!

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 28 Jul 2018via mobile
We stayed at La Fugue for only one night although had planned to stay for 2. Although Jacky, the host, was warm and welcoming, the accommodation was extremely disappointing. Our three daughters slept in one (very cluttered) room and we stayed in a room opposite theirs. Jacky’s room was between our 2 rooms so privacy was limited. Our biggest problems were that a) our bed was incredibly uncomfortable as it sagged in the middle, forcing us to sleep on top of each other, b) our room stank of cigarette smoke which was more unpleasant than I can describe, and c) despite advertising as self-catering, there was insufficient space to prepare anything (the ‘kitchen’ is a TINY space right outside Jacky’s room, with no sink - I washed lettuce in the bathroom basin - no oven and a filthy chopping board among other inadequate things. We could not lock our kids in their room (the internal door into the family ‘passage’ could not be locked and I felt insecure about that. Needless to say we checked out and left first thing in the morning. At R1500 for the night, it was overpriced for what we got.
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Castella J, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this review
Responded 29 Jul 2018
I am also very disapointed about your comment and apologize for this. However you should have spoken to me and l could possibly have done something to help you and move you in another unit. Ihad already quite a lot of families in thiere and never had any comments. Nevertheless l am sorry about you being so disapointed. Actually we are busy upgrading this appartment and we are sure that the future will be better.
R 1 436
    R 1 849
    R 1 910
3.2 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Free parking
Riverfront, elegant, simply the most regal guesthouse in Upington. Completely renovated October
4.5 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
R 626
27.9 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Restaurant
View more hotels in Upington
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 July 2018

I was there for 5 months for work. It is a perfect place to rest, with a beautiful pool to have fun and comfortable rooms. Everything is very clean. The owner is charming and very attentive. The best Upington site

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Castella J, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Dear Pablo thank you for this nice comment. It has been a pleasure having you and your colleagues in my house. I wish you all the best for your future and maybe l' ll see you again. Jacky

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Jaqueline (Jaqui), the owner/host, kindly collected us from the airport (and dropped us there again the next morning). During the drive, she passed on some interesting information about Upington, the place she has made her home for the last 27 years. Jaqui does dinner at her house if you order in advance. We hadn't ordered, so she pointed out a restaurant close to the house that we could walk to. The property is at the edge of the Orange river floodplain, so it's several degrees cooler than the town. The lush, well tended garden, lapa and pool and are very welcoming. Jaqui offered us a welcome drink and sat and chatted with us by the pool. The room and bathroom were nice, with wifi, air-conditioning for summer and electric blankets for winter. Breakfast was European and magnificently presented and served. Fresh fruit, homemade yoghurt, bread, preserves, croissants and sweet pastries. The croissants were possibly the best I have had in SA. Excellent coffee and a Spanish omelette rounded the experience off perfectly. After breakfast we wished we had ordered the dinner in advance. I'd be willing to go out of my way to visit Jaqui's place again!

Room tip: The room above the pool was nice.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sean O
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

What a nice and thoughtful comment which I do appreciate fully. It was a pleasure to have you in my house and this is a promise, I shall cook for you, the best dinner next time you shall come in Upington. I hope that you did enjoy your trip overall. Bien cordialement a vous. Jacqueline

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

After being in the Kalahari for a few very hot days all I was looking forward to a comfortable bed and air-conditioned room for 4 nights.

A friend of mine suggested to stay here and was grateful for this as he organised everything for me with the host.
Arrived Sunday afternoon and was bundled into a room with a shared bathroom whilst the host had some friends around for lunch virtually in front of my room with music blaring as I was very tired I just wanted to have a nice rest but couldn't.
The host also told me that I can only use the aircon for 2 hrs before bed and cannot run it overnight all I need to do is  open the door for the night baring in mind that the temperature is in the mid 30s!
Went for dinner that night and upon my return at 9 and again I just wanted to get to sleep but this time the host had her television blaring till 12.30am as my door was directly across from where she lives and as I wasn't allowed to use the aircon sleeping was totally off the cards!!

Needless to say I booked out the next morning I would strongly advise anyone against staying there as it is impossible to get any rest when tired.

How this accommodation is rated so highly on TripAdvisor is beyond me.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank KayKobus
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2017

Well, this is what I would call a quite nasty comment. First, I remind you that the bathroom is private and not to share with anyone. I admit that the air con needs to be changed, working well but extremely loud. However unlike you saying, I did not forbid you using it. As for the music and or the noise, I am very sorry about this, but it would have been so simple to just ask me to put it out. Anyway, what I can conclude is you came to me, asked for a very low budget accommodation, were expecting a 5 stars treat which I tried to give you on my usual homely way. But this is a guesthouse where several persons are living. Maybe a hotel would have been better for you and you would have found, of course at double the price, the calm and peace you were expecting. I am sorry to have to react so eagerly, which is not my habit, but there are things that I cannot accept.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Very safe and well-located accommodation. Nice, cosy and clean bedroom and bathroom. The garden is a wonder. It’s green and flowery, providing shadow when it’s too hot, and there are a lot of spots (chairs, hammock, etc.) to rest while listening to the birds singing, reading, etc. The swimming pool is also a delight.
Jacqueline is thoughtful but also lets space when needed. Her cooking is delicious and generous.
It was a pleasure!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 457maevak
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

I do so much appreciate this wonderful comment from you and am very glad that you felt happy and comfortable in my house. Hope to see you another time. Jacqueline

Reviewed 4 October 2017

A la fugue is a veritable jewel! We spent a night in a kind of Swiss chalet called Rossini, which was one of the most original rooms we have ever come across and originality is what we are always looking for! The bathroom is done in a beautiful, artistic mosaic. The spacious, self-catering room has an African flair with lots of lovingly chosen details and a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a five star affair. You felt like being at a generous, wealthy relative's house not a hotel. Beautiful china, home-made bread, real French cheeses, freshly cut fruit, excellent coffee and a choice of egg, sausage and all the rest. We chatted a bit with Jacqueline, the owner. She runs her guesthouse with the very obvious desire to offer her visitors the best and the coziest. The only thing we regretted was that we only spent one night there and thus could neither enjoy the beautiful garden with lots of sitting and relaxing areas nor the very inviting braai area. We will, however, most certainly go back there and stay longer. Thank you Jacqueline, you are a perfect host!

Date of stay: September 2017