Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
KayKobus
Nantwich, United Kingdom

Poor poor very poor!

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Dec 2017via mobile
After being in the Kalahari for a few very hot days all I was looking forward to a comfortable bed and air-conditioned room for 4 nights.

A friend of mine suggested to stay here and was grateful for this as he organised everything for me with the host.
Arrived Sunday afternoon and was bundled into a room with a shared bathroom whilst the host had some friends around for lunch virtually in front of my room with music blaring as I was very tired I just wanted to have a nice rest but couldn't.
The host also told me that I can only use the aircon for 2 hrs before bed and cannot run it overnight all I need to do is  open the door for the night baring in mind that the temperature is in the mid 30s!
Went for dinner that night and upon my return at 9 and again I just wanted to get to sleep but this time the host had her television blaring till 12.30am as my door was directly across from where she lives and as I wasn't allowed to use the aircon sleeping was totally off the cards!!

Needless to say I booked out the next morning I would strongly advise anyone against staying there as it is impossible to get any rest when tired.

How this accommodation is rated so highly on TripAdvisor is beyond me.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this review
Responded 12 Dec 2017
Well, this is what I would call a quite nasty comment. First, I remind you that the bathroom is private and not to share with anyone. I admit that the air con needs to be changed, working well but extremely loud. However unlike you saying, I did not forbid you using it. As for the music and or the noise, I am very sorry about this, but it would have been so simple to just ask me to put it out. Anyway, what I can conclude is you came to me, asked for a very low budget accommodation, were expecting a 5 stars treat which I tried to give you on my usual homely way. But this is a guesthouse where several persons are living. Maybe a hotel would have been better for you and you would have found, of course at double the price, the calm and peace you were expecting. I am sorry to have to react so eagerly, which is not my habit, but there are things that I cannot accept.
R 1 436
    R 1 843
    R 1 910
3.2 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Free parking
Riverfront, elegant, simply the most regal guesthouse in Upington. Completely renovated October
4.5 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
R 626
27.9 km from a La Fugue Guesthouse
Restaurant
View more hotels in Upington
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Very safe and well-located accommodation. Nice, cosy and clean bedroom and bathroom. The garden is a wonder. It’s green and flowery, providing shadow when it’s too hot, and there are a lot of spots (chairs, hammock, etc.) to rest while listening to the birds singing, reading, etc. The swimming pool is also a delight.
Jacqueline is thoughtful but also lets space when needed. Her cooking is delicious and generous.
It was a pleasure!

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 457maevak
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

I do so much appreciate this wonderful comment from you and am very glad that you felt happy and comfortable in my house. Hope to see you another time. Jacqueline

Reviewed 4 October 2017

A la fugue is a veritable jewel! We spent a night in a kind of Swiss chalet called Rossini, which was one of the most original rooms we have ever come across and originality is what we are always looking for! The bathroom is done in a beautiful, artistic mosaic. The spacious, self-catering room has an African flair with lots of lovingly chosen details and a very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a five star affair. You felt like being at a generous, wealthy relative's house not a hotel. Beautiful china, home-made bread, real French cheeses, freshly cut fruit, excellent coffee and a choice of egg, sausage and all the rest. We chatted a bit with Jacqueline, the owner. She runs her guesthouse with the very obvious desire to offer her visitors the best and the coziest. The only thing we regretted was that we only spent one night there and thus could neither enjoy the beautiful garden with lots of sitting and relaxing areas nor the very inviting braai area. We will, however, most certainly go back there and stay longer. Thank you Jacqueline, you are a perfect host!

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Selicor
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Was our last stop after a camping trip to the Richtersveld and Namibia and was pleasantly suprised by the neat cottage. Garden is beautiful and secure parking of vehicles. Dogs were a bit annoying with small children at one stage.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Thanks for your very nice message. I shall take your comment into consideration concerning my little dogs; they can indeed be a little too invasive at some times. However l hope to have you again in my house. Jacqueline

Reviewed 7 July 2017

After 2 weeks in the Kalahari dessert, we really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, a great dinner and breakfast and the hospitality of our hosts.
Garden and environment is top and again thanks for your help on the next morning to get our car up and running.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
JackyUpington, Manager at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Thanks very much and I am very touched by your comments. I hope to be able to welcome you again in my house.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

We booked a "tripple room" with two double beds and fridge. We were offered a crammy old room with barely no space.... Beware this Swiss Lady is not truthful...Very disappointing to think she can get away with it. No doubt we left to stay at the Protea for a fraction more in price...

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marius P
JackyUpington, Owner at a La Fugue Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

Your comment is extremely harsh. I am sorry if I forgot to mark the room you wanted as busy, but I could have proposed another unit in replacement. But qualifying my room "Bach" as "crammy old room" that is quite exaggerating; it it true that it is not very big but charming, very clean and nice with its little bathroom en suite. And furthermore, you are insulting me which I do not accept. My future guests may just read all the other comments I have gotten in Tripadvisor and they will make their own mind about me.