“So frustrating.”

Cafe Zest
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Upington
Price range: R 726 - R 3 718
Reviewed 11 January 2024

We ate here 2 nights consecutively as being vegetarian we had virtually no other options in Upington and the Trip Advisor reviews seemed positive.
The location is good, bang on the main street with parking outside. Being part of hotel chain, I’d describe the interior as standard.
For Southern Africa, surprisingly there are 2 or 3 veggie options.
The first night we ordered pizzas which took 80 minutes to arrive and edible.
The second night, we ordered veggie burgers, 20 minutes after ordering we were informed the veggie burgers were out of stock so we ordered the default pasta. We asked for a description of Jerigo mushroom sauce, the waitress told me it was a sauce with mushrooms, we asked what made their green mayo green, the waitress didn’t know, and didn’t ask the chef. We ordered 2 pasta dishes with different sauces. When they eventually arrived, both dishes had the same sauce, and no Italian bread roll as advertised. I asked the waitress about the sauces, so told me it’s the chef who decides !
The waitress was really pleasant but quite useless. On both nights the place was not busy, never more than 3 other tables, I can only think it’s down to a lack of training. I explained to the waitress that I wanted to leave a tip, but due to the service, I can’t reward poor service, she told me it’s always the chefs fault. This place has an interesting menu, but is let down by the management.

Date of visit: January 2024

Reviewed 4 January 2024

Too bad it is in a "cold hotel atmosphere" but service is absolutely perfect and the food excellently prepared.

Date of visit: December 2023
Reviewed 25 February 2023

Amazing food and great value especially for British people due to the exchange rate. The steak and park main courses in particular were delicious. The staff friendly and efficient.

Date of visit: February 2023
Reviewed 12 January 2023

We were in Upington on X-mas eve, on our way to Namibia. It was the only restaurant that was open, so we were very excited to find this little gem. It has a modern, vibey atmosphere. They whipped up a vegan pasta for my husband and I had the chicken schnitzel. Very generous portions and friendly staff. The service was a bit slow, but being unannounced on X-mas eve, I cannot really complain. We had a very enjoyable evening. Thank you!

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 30 November 2022

Never ever disappoint. Great atmosphere and service and the food is always perfect. A variety to choose from. Lot's of creativity and local flavors.

Date of visit: November 2022