All reviews big hole lovely hotel direct access highly recommend this hotel next morning old style definitely stay here again south africa feel welcome museum diamond foyer era history
Reviewed 21 September 2016

Hotel right next to Big Hole. Done in style of mining period. Kind of quaint. Quiet with few clientele. Stayed in annex, in luxury room 414, over looking hole; large, reasonably furnished, good bedding and perfect pillows but dont inspect to closely as paint on brass door furniture etc!

Ate dinner in restaurant. This is an area that really need to be improve on; partner had lamb curry which he thought okay, I had Thai Thai curry which was more field than sea, that is the largest potion of 'fish' in the curry was crab sticks. Excellent waiter.

The staff were all very friendly and did their best to make it a good experience and for this reason, taking in the good and the bad, I really liked this hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

I do not persolamente stayed here, but I've been there to ask questions and get a taxi. The interior is beautifully decorated with antique flavor, there is a terrace overlooking the big hole. The staff was really helpful.
Absolitely recommended in Kimberley!!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Dandymas
Reviewed 26 August 2016

Stayed here for one night driving from Capetown to Mafikeng. Location-wise it is right beside the Big Hole so you can leave your car in the car park and walk around to the Big Hole. We actually had a view of the Big Hole from our window. We booked in quite late and only stayed one night so I cannot comment on the pool etc but I am afraid I have to agree with what everyone is saying about the food. Shocking quality, luke warm and overpriced! I ordered a lamb curry which was circa R150 and got a plate of rice with bones with a few scraps of lamb clinging to them in a non descript sauce. UGH! The room had 2 double beds which were very comfortable and the room was pretty big. Bathroom was a bit old-fashioned and the taps were difficult to turn on and off. Overall I would say it is ok to stay here but DO NOT eat here!

Room tip: Big Hole view
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Bianca K, Front Office Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2016

Dear dublinmammy2014,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Protea Hotel by Marriott ® Kimberley on TripAdvisor.
We are famous for our breathtaking views and four-star elegance in the heart of historical Kimberley that is situated right on the edge of the famous Big Hole. This hotel is the ideal base from which to explore and enjoy all that historical Kimberley has to offer including museums, war routes and the Mining Village.

Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointing restaurant experience. I am saddened to hear about the experience and hope we will one day have the opportunity to rectify this poor experience and show you true Protea hospitality in the historical Kimberley. We have shared your feedback with the hotel TEAM to ensure that this issue is corrected moving forward.

Thank you for taking the time to report your constructive criticism as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve your next stay.

Sincerely
Elmarie de Villiers
Protea Hotel Kimberley

Reviewed 25 August 2016 via mobile

In the old mining town of Kimberley. A place to eat, do business, rest and enjoy the fresh air of the African continent.
Breath taking views of the Big Hole, state of the art conferencing facilities and four star elegance. Right on the edge of Kimberley’s famous Hole.

Date of stay: February 2016
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

This is my first nite at this establishment, it looks ok, although there is no fridge in the room, requested a fridge but they did not have any. Anyway, went out to the in house restaurant, ordered a lamb shank which cost R150 for take since I was in no mood for buffet, 5 min later, this is what I received. What a complete ripoff for R150. I am not impressed Protea Kimberley, this is below standard , overpriced food

Trip type: Travelled on business
Bianca K, Front Office Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kimberley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Dear davidreid_za,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We appreciate you bringing these shortcomings to our attention, both while you were here as well on TripAdvisor. I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience and I wish to assure you that the necessary steps have been taken to prevent this from happening again.
With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting but exceeding your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with our management TEAM.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Protea Hotel Kimberley to show you the improvements that have been made.

Kind regards,