“Pretty part of the drive.”
Review of Abel Erasmus Pass

Abel Erasmus Pass
Reviewed 24 May 2017

We enjoyed stopping here to barter one more time before heading back to Jozi. Several of the group picked up nice blankets that came in handy once the sun went down that day. The Panorama is such a nice drive with great stop offs. The waterfalls were wonderful to capture on film.

All reviews
"village"
"past"
"valley"

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Stunning views of lichen covered mountains unlike anything I have seen before. Definitely worth the effort as an add on to the Panorama Blyde River Canyon route. We started early from Satara Camp in the Kruger and easily made Joburg before dark.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Nice pass, all the mountains here are worth a visit. Scenic, take a day to drive around all of them.

Reviewed 25 November 2016

We were based in Tzaneen S.A. on a vacation. When I inquired about where to find local handmade crafts, I was told that there were roadside vendors just south of the tunnel in Abel Erasmus Pass. So as a day's outing in a new direction we headed there. It reminded me of Tijuana Mexico, but with different stock. There were "shops" on both sides of the road. Very little traffic so it was easy to dash across to check out the other side. They sold mostly wooden items of African carvings. They were actually very nice and I bought quite a few items from across several vendors. Like in Tijuana, some of the woman venders were aggresive and followed me extorting me to come see her shop. Mostly they each had many of the same items but it was worthwhile to check them each out because there was enough difference of patterns and colors and styles to find just what really appealed to me. And just like in Tijuana one must price haggle. But while it's obvious quite soon that the prices quoted are just a starting point, I didn't feel moved to keep bargaining down once they stuck to a negotiated lowered price another 25 Rand as it was only very small change in American but made a bit of a difference to them in profit.
We even went back a second time on our way back from someplace to buy some more items.
The big bonus to the drive was the scenery. It's in the Drackensburg Mountains and not only was it a different terrain and look than we'd seen elsewhere but very interesting. The rocks appear sort of a bright, light green. After discussing it we agreed it wasn't an algae but appeared to be the rock color. We really liked driving through the Drackensburgs to my surprise.