“The visit exceeded high expectations”

The Werf Restaurant
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Reviewed 19 January 2017

Having been a fan of Boschendal since its inception we were concerned as to how this beautiful old Restaurant had been treated, It had been turned upside down and is surely a winner. Lovely views and outside area which were not there before, Superbly done.Service and food matched the surroundings,everything of the very best quality. My lamb was some of the best ever.If there was a blot one of our desserts all of which tasted delish looked like a dogs dinner. This was the chocolate dessert whos appearance was very poor.

Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

The location and setting of the restaurant were beautiful however the service and food were both extremely disappointing.
The Restaurant Manager and Chef were both totally disinterested in our complaint. We did not even receive an apology let alone a reduction on the bill which was very expensive based on the quality.
I would definitely NOT recommend a visit!

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Every chair is different and varies in conform and style in the restaurant- The Sam applies to the food.
You would expect a high and consistent quality from a small menu and the fresh ingredients taken from their own garden.
From garden to fork motto is part of the restaurants approach.

The pickled beetroot and calamari starters were good.

Disappointing that there was only one vegetarian main dish on the menu. It was nice to see the management keen to substitute some ingredients to accompany the customer.

However, a lot of the main dishes were not up to standard of fine dining.
Sausages swimming in a mash that was tasty but more like a soup/ Sauce seemed strange and caused stomach problems the next day.

The yellowtail was slightly overcooked.

The 4 deserts we had were disappointing as well in taste. One of the worst Panna Cotta I have had in a long time and the combinations of things in the deserts just didn't match and were overall just too sweet.
On a good note the food Presentation was neat and colourful.

I would not return there for dinner.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

I visited Boschendal in November 2016 intending to eat at the cafe in the central courtyard, as I had had a couple of good casual meals there in the past. However, The Werf is a new addition since I last was at Boschendal, and so we decided to try it.

We chose to sit on the veranda overlooking the vegetable and herb gardens with a view of the mountains beyond. We could have sat inside the restaurant, which is large and open, with good space between tables, but in good weather there would be no reason not to sit outside.

Service was very good, and the food was outstanding (we both chose the lamb rump and a side of roasted vegetables). Being that the restaurant is part of Boschendal, the wine list only lists Boschendal wines, however, these are generally of a good standard, with some being excellent. We chose probably the most expensive bottle of red on the menu as a bit of an extravagance, which turned out to be well worth the price.

The menu is small, but there should be something to appeal to most people's tastes, including fish, poultry, red meat and vegetarian. The fact that it is a small menu and based on what is available, vegetables from their own garden and other locally sourced ingredients, makes it interesting, and I think challenges the chefs to make the best with what they have.

I will definitely be returning to this restaurant the next time I go to Boschendal.

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

The restaurant is located on a beautiful property. The restaurant has a beautiful ambience with different areas. You can sit outside, in a greenhouse like area or the dining room. The patio and greenhouse overlook the vegetable and herb garden with a mountain backdrop. Stunning!

We ordered the fillet for two. It was
delicious. The service was in point as they were extremely attentive and friendly.

At the beginning of the service the air condition was not on, it wasn't hot but there were flies that ruin the overall experience.

Overall the food wasn't cheap but I found good value here for a romantic dinner.
Ensure during peak season to book ahead of time as they fill quite quickly. I used the online service and they responded promptly.

With many choices in the area this won't disappoint.