Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa
US$127
  • Pool
Euphoria Golf Estate & Hydro(Modimolle (Nylstroom))
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Legend Golf and Safari Resort(Entabeni Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Gorgeous Gecko Guesthouse(Modimolle (Nylstroom))
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsdelicious foodmanager on dutyfriends and familymain buildinga wonderful stayattention to detailalfredweekendchefwaiterstranquilityweddingrondavelsettingteamestablishmentleaves
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 December 2016

Country hotel with tremendous potential. Unfortunately, we were the only ones booked for dinner on the night of our stay, meaning that staff were very attentive, as they wished to knock off.
Room definitely in need of a make over, with only a bath (no shower connection either), which is not good for those with back problems.
Taps both marked hot etc.
Definitely not value for money, especially when I saw that last minute bookings were discounted by 76%

Room Tip: Request a room with shower facilities, if they have one
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
South_Of_Africa_HQ, Guest Relations Manager at Shangri-La Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for your feedback, which will be investigated. We do offer discounts on select room types, and as these differ on availability, rates may change.

Reviewed 25 November 2016

Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised with the beautiful gardens.After settling into our rooms (which we really liked) we went to the pool to have a light lunch and relax. We waited and waited for service leading us to go and ask at reception if someone could serve us. When we got the menu I really struggled to find something to eat as I am a very strict vegetarian. I ordered a sandwich with chips which took a very long time. Upon arrival the chips looked like they had not been cooked so we sent them back, my boyfriend (being an executive chef and me having completed my Diploma in Hospitality Management) were very upset when the chips arrived looking exactly the same.

We tried to let this go and returned to our room. Later for dinner we wanted to have a drink before we ate, we sat in the reception area waiting for someone to serve us, once again we waited and waited and no one came so we asked at reception to order some drinks. We then sat on the terrace and enjoyed some wine, the wine bottled was just put on the table after our glasses where filled, with no ice bucket. We proceeded to read the menu which once again had not once single vegetarian option. Starters nor mains. I asked the chef what he could prepare and he prepared a vegetable stir fry with rice. Never have I tasted such sour vegetables so I only ate the rice. Upon getting the bill, my meal cost R125. We called the manager and told him how unhappy we were. He then discounted the food to R45.

In the morning for breakfast the chef had said that he had prepared something for me. When I sat down I got a plate with two boiled eggs that I could not push my fork into. I don't know how anyone could have made such hard eggs? We then saw someone who looked like a manager sit down and get served breakfast, amoungst the guests. It looked very unprofessional. On the hot breakfast buffet there was sausage, boerewors, bacon and mince. How can one not have anything vegetarian?

This place has so much potential yet it fails to impress. Such a pity to see a place like this fail to make a guest happy.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

We take note of your feedback Tania R and will be addressing this with management.

Reviewed 20 November 2016

Wow what a lovely place to stay, The food is great and well prepared Very friendly staff. The Spa treatment was super. We loved the two dogs, rooms are clean and comfortable and quite. We will visit again

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo

Thank you for your review Ullricke. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that PJ and Fires (our resident dogs) were one of your highlights during your time here.

Reviewed 6 November 2016

We were here for a lunch on the 4th of October and discovered an oasis of peace with excellent service. The surroundings are beautiful, the waitor was very kind and the food was perfect. We had an enjoyabel lunch.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends

Dear guest, thank you for your review. We completely agree - Shangri-La is the perfect place to enjoy a lunch time getaway amongst trees and surrounded by a grand selection of vintage and baroque décor.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

I was going to a construction company just not far from the hotel. I had to spend the night at the hotel on the 10th October 2016. It is very good place indeed. I had a very good welcome. The Guy at the reception is very good. I had not booked as I thought my boss has booked. But everything was sorted in few seconds. But my concern is the entrance at the Arch. It is far from the reception and I feared going up the stairs. That entrance at night is terrifying for some body who could be alone. I wish they could do something or alter that entrance to open straight into the reception. During the dày I think it may be fine but at night it is terrifying.

Room Tip: The family room has children room. Very good
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We take note of your comments regarding the stairway to our main building and will discuss this at our next meeting on how to enhance the entrance with additional lights so as to not have guests feel concerned at night.