Hippo Pools Resort
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
US$824
  • Breakfast included
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
US$1 050
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
US$2 489
US$113
US$109
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Garonga Safari Camp(Makalali Private Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
US$1 276
US$975
SA Hotels
  • Breakfast included
US$101
US$80
Cajori Hotel(Phalaborwa)
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2016

Lovely 'basic', rustic lodge with splendid Hippos and other wildlife roaming around. There is no air conditioning, however, so be prepared to BOIL! We were told there would be air con, but there were very slow ceiling fans instead. My friends slept on the floor and other locations to try and get cool at night.
None of the doors to the toilets/bathrooms shut - no locks and all opened due to mould, swelling to the wood, hence me not being able to go to Number 2 for the entire duration of the trip for fear of people catching me in the act!
Also a bit dirty and mouldy - the bathrooms need a serious refurbish to bring them up to date, get them clean and fresher. Spiders and moths all over the windowsills, however this could be just a cleaning issue - which didn't get addressed. I think the cleaner was on holiday while we were there.
Main swimming pool was green so no one got in...but individual lodges had plunge pools which were nice and clean. Barbecue area good too.
Staff sort of non-existent - always away on errands. Only get wi-fi at the cafe, but not in the rooms.
Good bargain basement place - pretty and rustic and good if you don't want anything luxurious, as looking at the wildlife was great and there was plenty of space to stretch etc but needs better cleaning and AIR-CON!!!

Room Tip: Ask for anything with AIR CON, if you can get it, hurray!!!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank the-arctic-wolf
Reviewed 3 December 2015

No, seriously. The facilities are wonderful and the rooms are very well taken care of. This is not the place to party, but rather enjoy the nature and peace. Hippos may even come out of the river at night. Arrive as early as possible or you will regret it. I wanted to offset my entire trip by a day so I could spend one more night here.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 September 2015

A quaint hidden away set of apartments and hotel.
No hippos during our visit and rather ironically to the name no pool. it may well have been a seasonal issue.
I stayed here for three nights on business about a 15 min drive out of Hoedspruit. Follow the signs and then through the lane and it sort of appears on you. Consisting of apartments and houses alongside the river bank there is something unique about it
I went in the winter in essence and I wasn't looking for any hippos My accommodation was a house overlooking the river but didn't show me any hippos, but I can see the appeal.
Hippo pools did appear tired in places, the bar was empty of stock, the shelves messy and disorganised and with a fridge that you'd find in a kitchen under-filled with beer. The staff were it appeared not allowed to manage the money and any cash payment required the manager to come in and sort.
The pool llooks very nice, but there was no water in it - I didn't ask why, again I'm assuming it was the low season and it was being cleaned? All said and done, the staff were meticulous, breaakfast was very good I thought and the rooms, albeit tired and set in 70s decor were clean and tidy, mine had a great power shower and a hot tub?? No wifi in the room - only in reception.
Choice is limited in this area, you're a short distance from many game reserves and the local town, for a few days I think it's a unique experience. The town has all you need. Even the owner is unique and almost eccentric, but couldn't be more helpful. It's not 5 star but is good value and if you have your own plane - it has its own landing strip.....

Room Tip: Out buildings have the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2015

Our family of 6 stayed in 1 of the houses at Hippo Pools, which was ideal. We were only passing through for 1 night but were made to feel very welcome by Meryl, who was also a good source of local information. After breakfast we saw Hippos in the river outside our windows. Perfect.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 22 March 2015

We arrived on a hot summer’s day. We booked months in advance in order to attend a wedding on a nearby game farm. The bride recommended this venue. We arrived an hour early and were served complimentary drinks whilst we awaited our rooms to be readied. We enjoyed sandwiches with it and the chef visited personally to enquire about our meal.
We booked two self contained “rondawels” (circular rooms) for our party of four. Each rondawel was divided into two partial rooms – one with two twin beds and one with a double bed. A small bathroom with a shower and a small kitchenette and a separate toilet completed the room.
The main building offers a deck and restaurant and a large pool – which offered a cool respite from the humidity.
A water pipe burst in a nearby unit as we prepared for the wedding, which resulted in no water at our unit and thus no shower. I had to shower next door in order to be dressed and ready on time for the wedding.
The owners are in the process of upgrading, but unfortunately the grounds were in places littered with building debris and planks, etc.
The accommodation experience and the room facilities offered, did not match the rates charged.
On the positive side the service was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled with family