Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
hayleytitus-seethal
Durban, South Africa
Great stay ,Perfect location
Reviewed 21 Apr 2021
Lesley was a great friendly host, efficient with email communication. Room was clean , lovely and very comfortable with a balcony and a great view of the ocean. The bathroom was really nice and spacious.
Date of stay: April 2021
    R 1 857
    R 4 200
0.8 km from Umbrella Tree House
Free parking
Exterior with pool and ocean views
R 4 482
    R 801
    R 1 200
0.2 km from Umbrella Tree House
View more hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
All reviews self catering cottage room was clean great stay home from home air con place to stay comfortable stay accommodation tk umhlanga balcony amenities ocean venue
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 March 2021

All the basic needs are covered. We expected a bit more. We were received well and the check in was easy. The breakfast was decent. We had the option of hot or cold breakfast. We had a view of the ocean.

Date of stay: March 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Lesley Paterson, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2021

How disappointing to see your poor review of my place. I tried speaking to you to get your feedback on what exactly was lacking but you refused to speak to me and cut the call. What is particularly puzzling is that you were very friendly at breakfast and when I asked if you'd slept well, you said yes. You appeared to be very happy with everything. If you had expressed disappointment on arrival, I would have refunded you your money immediately and not expected you to stay. One thing I do not want is unhappy guests!
Even your statement that 'breakfast was decent' is barely positive. My breakfasts are made with high quality ingredients from Woolworths and select suppliers. I have received MANY compliments on my breakfasts over the years. I cook them myself to ensure good quality.
It is extremely cowardly to write a bad review and not have the courage of your convictions to be able to express to the owner, what exactly you felt was unacceptable. How can I make improvements if guests don't tell me what they were unhappy about?
As can be seen from other reviews, guests are generally very happy with their experience. Many have made the comment that it looks exactly like the pictures, so I really don't understand what you were expecting, especially as you were paying a very low rate through a booking site. You chose to book a standard room at a low rate. If you had called me I would have been able to offer you a large, more luxurious room but you booked a standard room at a massively discounted price. Nowhere do I falsely advertise my place as being a 5-star establishment.
If you are going to write bad reviews, have the courage to give proper feedback to the owners.
To anyone reading this review, please look at the photos of my establishment on this site to see that this is a rather unreasonable review. Marking my place as a 2 on cleanliness is unfair in the extreme. The photos will show that my place is very clean, as do many other reviews.

Reviewed 8 March 2021

We have had several stays at this special B&B over the years and we're never disappointed. We have stayed in several of her rooms, all are very comfortable, so prettily decorated and spotlessly clean. The views over Umhlanga and the ocean are stunning. Leslie is a very warm host and provides a wonderful breakfast with quality fresh fruit, yoghurt, muesli and nuts, as well as a personalised cooked breakfast. The dining area on a deck is so pretty - set amongst ferns and tropical trees. All in all it's our special home away from home whenever we're in the area. Thank you Leslie - once again. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lesley Paterson, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2021

Aw, Ann, thank you SO much for your lovely review. It's always a pleasure to have you and Roy stay here. I am always very happy to hear that my guests have had a good stay :)

Reviewed 22 November 2020

Leslie phoned ahead and confirmed the arrangements, and I was warmly welcomed and settled.

Leslie is one of those rare hosts who maintained just the right balance between distance and engaging - a professional she is.

The room was pleasant and the bed and breakfast was wonderful. I loved the quiet and peacefulness.

And the location was just right for business.

Highly recommended for relaxed business travellers.

Date of stay: November 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Lesley Paterson, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2021

Thank you for your review Johan, much appreciated. I am really happy to hear your positive comments. We do really try hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay. And I love that you recommend for business travellers - they are our favourite guests :)

Reviewed 28 May 2020

The Umbrella Tree House was a home away from home. Leslie the host was welcoming and extremely accommodating. My room was clean cosy and comfortable overlooking the lovely peaceful garden.
I would highly recommend The Umbrella Tree House.

Date of stay: May 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for your lovely review Gwenn. It was so super having you here for such a long time. Miss our chats :)

Reviewed 17 February 2020

Beautiful residence , spotlessly clean , very comfortable bed and super close to Uhmlanga , also really nice host who cooked a brilliant breakfast to order ,

will recommend this place to anyone who is travelling to Durban

Date of stay: February 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Lesley Paterson, Owner at Umbrella Tree House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2020

Thanks so much for your review Henry. I am very happy to hear you would recommend us. We do try to make sure our guests have a comfortable and happy stay.