Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
AbeLincoln115
Berkeley, California

Memorable stay

Review of The Oyster Box
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Jul 2023
I was born in Durban and return regularly to the city although with all the safety issues facing tourists I prefer to stay in the Umhlanga area, a short fifteen minute drive north of the downtown, and without doubt now regard the Oyster Box as my preferred hotel of choice in the area.

I made the switch to the Oyster Box after an unhappy stay at a nearby high-rise hotel and have not regretted it. While much of the Umhlanga area is experiencing rapid growth as new high-rise hotels and shopping malls spring up like weeds, the Oyster Box enjoys an idea location at the end of the small road leading to the waterfront, with the famous Umhlanga lighthouse perched on the beach a stone’s throw away. It provides a haven of peace and quiet and plenty of privacy, and I found the ambiance and more intimate feel of the Oyster Box to be one of its greatest assets. There’s a distinct colonial feel to the hotel’s architecture and trappings, somewhat reminiscent of Singapore’s Raffles hotel, but a gentle elegance and class permeates the hotel’s many public spaces.

I've enjoyed the standard King bedroom overlooking the beach and found it to be light and airy with a very spacious bathroom (shower only). Ocean-facing rooms are a premium value here and there’s little that compares to waking up to the sun slowly rising above the horizon stretched out in front of you. Or to the glistening moon rising above the tranquil evening waters. Pure magic! But sometimes, on particularly windy days, the sound of the surf crashing down onto the rocks lining the beach can be quite loud, and light sleepers might want to consider staying in one of the many garden rooms overlooking the picturesque pool inside the spacious hotel grounds.

However, what stands out most from my recent stay is the very high quality of the staff and the service which they provide. While it helped that I was at the hotel for a full week and had the opportunity to engage with staff at all levels, from waitstaff to the ladies who made the room up each day, and to the various divisional heads and overall management I was incredibly impressed by, and grateful for, their attentiveness to any concerns raised or preferences expressed. For example, early on after my arrival, I expressed a preference for the "green juice" served at the Terrace restaurant and each day afterwards, whenever I dined there, a glass would magically appear shortly after being seated. It was exactly the kind of attention to detail that I appreciate in my travels around the world.

Among the hotel’s many noteworthy staff I would single out a few who were especially helpful during my recent stay. Director of Guest Services, Justin, is a definite asset to the hotel and someone whose engaging and colorful personality fits the position perfectly. He was visible everywhere during my stay (during the busy Comrades marathon), always inquiring about my needs and thoughtful about finding ways my stay at the hotel could be enhanced. It was very much appreciated, especially since I left the hotel grounds only a few times during my entire stay. Dorothy, the assistant manager at the front desk, was also helpful in addressing a concern I had raised. Food service managers Wesley and Zodwa did a fine job managing the Terrace where I took most of my meals at the hotel, while Shane worked wonders managing the High Tea service and Continental Breakfast area. Finally, a wait staffer named Charmaine and restaurant hostess Busi left definite impressions on me because of their keen attention to detail and things they did to make me feel like a valued guest. There were many more outstanding staff but unfortunately with the passage of time I do not recall their names. Nevertheless I found the overall level of service provided by the staff to be of an exceptional quality. People I encountered there seemed to enjoy working at the hotel and seemed quite mindful of the hotel’s reputation and committed to upholding it.

I cannot imagine staying anywhere else on future trips back to Durban.
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Roberto Rosa, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this review
Responded 10 Jul 2023
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful detailed review following your stay with us at The Oyster Box.

I am absolutely thrilled to read all your valuable comments and that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves.

Thank you for the special mention of those members of staff who stood out to you. I will be sure to share your amazing review with the team. Our staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's stay with us is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future for another memorable stay with us.

Rooftop Pool
    R 4 826
    R 4 940
1.0 km from The Oyster Box
Free parking
Exterior with pool and ocean views
    R 4 202
Reviews (3 092)
3 092 results
2 776
2 776
All reviews the grill curry buffet high tea lighthouse bar oysters ocean terrace restaurant oyster bar our waiter resident cat attention to detail colonial style iconic lighthouse curries sparkling wine light house sea facing room plunge pool
Selected filters
80 - 85 of 3 092 reviews
Reviewed 8 July 2023 via mobile

Am never disappointed with our stays at this gem of a hotel. Is always consistently of the highest standard. From checkin to room service to food quality to ambience to understated luxury all the boxes always ticked. The pool area overlooking the lighthouse is always well managed to ensure quick service as well. The location in respect of proximity to restaurants and bars in the area is also very convenient. Will keep going back.

Date of stay: June 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Roberto Rosa, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2023

Dear Guest,

I am absolutely delighted to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, in particular, the check-in, room service, delicious food and amazing ambience.

Thank you for the special mention of the ocean-facing pool overlooking the lighthouse and quick service you experienced.

It is wonderful that you are already planning a return visit and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 July 2023

The service we received for our event was absolutely beautiful. The level of excellence from the staff to the food remains a highlight to our guests. A big thank you to Nonto the Banqueting Coordinator, Zondi, Seelan, and their team for their excellent service during our event. Their work was outstanding!

Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to The Oyster Box.

I am thrilled to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed the high level of excellence from the staff and the delicious food at your event. Thank you for the special mention of those members who stood out to you. I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back for many more special moments with us.

Reviewed 27 June 2023

My experience at The Grill Room was nothing short of extraordinary. The combination of luxurious ambiance, impeccable service by the Maître d' and Anthony, and the outstanding culinary creations made for an unforgettable fine dining experience. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or simply seeking a remarkable culinary adventure, The Grill Room at The Oyster Box Hotel is the epitome of excellence, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who appreciates the finer things in life.

Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Roberto Rosa, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2023

Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed your fine-dining experience in The Grill Room, with outstanding culinary creations and impeccable service.

The staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's experience is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to celebrate many more memorable moments.

Reviewed 26 June 2023

I love everything about this hotel. Great location, friendly, and attentive staff. No request made was not accommodated. Meals were fantastic and housekeeping was on point. Our room was beautiful and will return in the future.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Roberto Rosa, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2023

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us at The Oyster Box. I am absolutely delighted to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects about the hotel, in particular the stunning location overlooking the ocean, delicious meals, friendly and attentive staff and a wonderful housekeeping team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon for another memorable stay.

Reviewed 21 June 2023

An amazing experience, in an absolutely enchanting hotel.

The staff are excellent, courteous, always friendly and attentive. Special mention to Julian, whom provided particularly exceptional service. 😊

The hotel itself is a fantastic building, old school charm mixed with a feeling of royalty.

The food was amazing!

The location and backdrop stunning as well.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Roberto Rosa, General Manager at The Oyster Box, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2023

Dear Guest,

I am absolutely delighted to hear how you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves and experienced fantastic hospitality from the staff. Thank you for the special mention of Julian who took great care of you. The staff are passionate about ensuring every guest's stay with us is amazing and that every guest leaves wanting to return.

Thank you for your comments regarding the amazing food and stunning location overlooking the ocean.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another memorable stay.