Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Christian S
Hluhluwe, South Africa

Very comfortable accommodation for a stay at Umhlanga Rocks

Review of Lavender Moon
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 May 2015
I have stayed at 'a Viletta a few times in 2015 on my frequent visits to Umhlanga/Durban. The rooms are very comfortable (with large beds). The house and car park is secure. The breakfast is good and there are many lunch/dinner options in the Umhlanga Rocks area (5 minutes). I can highly recommend 'a Viletta for a stay in Umhlanga/Durban.
Date of stay: May 2015
    R 1 591
    R 1 650
1.0 km from Lavender Moon
Free parking
Exterior with pool and ocean views
R 4 805
    R 5 473
    R 7 596
1.1 km from Lavender Moon
View more hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had a wonderful 2 nights stay here while in Durban for work. It has a lovely relaxed atmosphere that allows you to unwind, and was the best 2 nights sleep I have had in weeks.

The breakfast is also amazing! My first morning there I was surprised with a breakfast burger, which tastes even better than it sounds!

Maria and her staff are also incredibly welcoming and helpful, and their personal touches and friendly manor helps round off a great stay.

This will definitely be my preferred accommodation when in Durban in future.

2  Thank David_Hobson_ZA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I along with our 4 children (ages 18,10,5,2) recently visited South Africa from Philadelphia and spent 18 nights at a Viletta. I searched for accommodation for several months and spoke to several people but just couldn't find something that totally suited our needs. I was a bit apprehensive about staying at a B&B with the children but after speaking to Maria on the phone I felt at ease and confident that a Viletta was going to be able to meet our needs.

Maria and her staff were just amazing during our entire stay. We loved the morning breakfasts on the balcony overlooking the ocean. It was a beautiful setting matched with a great breakfast every morning. Maria was very attentive to any request we had and did whatever she could to make our stay more comfortable. We felt like we were being hosted by family as opposed to staying at a B&B. My kids loved Maria and the staff and still speak of them weeks after our return.

We highly recommend a Viletta for your next stay. Its close to many great attractions for the entire family, great restaurants and malls close by as well.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Guest House is located in the magnificent Umhlanga Ridge with a great view of the ocean. The price is very reasonable considering the large and comfortable rooms and the scrumptious breakfast. Better still, La Lucia and Umhlanga are just 3 minutes away.

Room tip: I like room 2 & 3.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I'd say this little place is comfortable but not outstanding as the few reviews on here led me to believe (appreciate we all have different views).

Maria was unbelievably brilliant on booking and liaising with me before arrival, though sadly away when I was there so we didn't meet in person. I have no doubt her hospitality is 2nd to none.

The room I was in was pretty small though as I was travelling alone and only there 2 nights not a problem. In my view a few small touches would have made all the difference - cushion covers on the cushions on bed for example rather than just the bare cushion, and nice firm pillows - the pillows looked old to me and were very flimsy.

Note it's quite a hike into town if you want to walk (worse on way back up as all uphill) down a massive road, which I hadn't quite understood before booking. Another touch which would have helped was to have had maps for guests, and info on where to find tourist office. It may have been because Maria was away but nothing like this was available.

Breakfast good.

Think this place has fab potential but prob wouldnt stay again.

Date of stay: December 2013
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Search high and low, and you will find it hard to match the high standards of this modest guest house, and the treatment that you get.

Let's take it one by one:

Internet connection: the secured WiFi works flawlessly. It was much better than the connectivity that we had at the office we worked with.

Room: comfortable beds, a safe, a view to the ocean, roomy closet and a spotless modern bathroom. You also get your own kettle, with an assortment of coffee and tea, and your own fridge.

Food: the breakfast is very nice, and Maria the landlady is asking for your requests and does her best to have them met. Would you like some fish with an omelet? You will get creamed salmon with a hefty juicy omelet to accompany it.

Hosting: the landlady Maria has the sole of a true hostess. You very quickly understand that for her you are not just a guest - you are first and foremost a person. She will treat you with great respect, and will go out of her way to keep you satisfied. And it is clear that she does not do it out of business thinking, but simply because this is who she is.

If I am ever back to Durban, I will be sure to take upon Maria's hospitality once again.

Sheer pleasure.