Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Alison H
Scotland, United Kingdom

Two area in the same hotel very different experience

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Apr 2024via mobile
Stayed for three days in a room on the 12th floor. Faultless, room decor and amenities perfect for us. Breakfast is great lots to choose from and friendly waiting staff.

Came again the same week for a one night stay before flying to another African destination. This time the room is on the 5th floor and has no bath!!! In my opinion the rooms are night and day!!!!

The lifts to the 5th floor are not as nice and don’t even seem as clean. When entering the 5th floor there’s just an unkept feeling unlike the other area in the hotel and a slight smell as you walk along the hallway! This side seems budget and yet we are paying the same price per night as we did before.

Now not sure how I feel about this hotel! The location couldn’t be any better plenty eateries, bars, chemist & supermarkets not to mention the lovely shopping centre. A few hotels very close to this one. Maybe check out the reviews for them before making your decision or ask not to be in the car park/ pool area of this hotel.
Date of stay: April 2024
0.5 km from Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga
    R 4 828
1.0 km from Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga
Free parking
Exterior with pool and ocean views
    R 4 787
1.8 km from Protea Hotel Durban Umhlanga
    R 948
  • Algotels
View more hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
All reviews walking distance to the beach nice hotel central location sea view pleasant stay umhlanga bath lighthouse
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 March 2024 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for two nights before a safari and two nights after our safari. I was very happy with my decision to book this hotel. It was perfectly situated for us. Restaurants and shops right outside the door. The first two nights we were given high floors 13 and 15 nearer the entrance side. The view was spectacular. The noise was so bad 👎 from the clubs at night. One would think all that way up, you wouldn't hear the noise, but you definitely do. The second time around we were put on lower floors in a different tower and weren't that keen on our rooms. However, they turned out to be better because we didn't hear any noise. Beds were very comfortable, showers pressure great and everything spotless. Breakfast was superb. So much choice. All staff were lovely but special mention to Hlengwe at breakfast and Martha at the breakfast door.

Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2024

Great experience we had, the staff were so friendly and professional from reception to the security 🤣🤣🤣. The ladies at the restaurant were so wonderful and made our stay awesome. Thanks to the waitresses Hlengiwe and reservation Thandiswa Kheswa. We will be back for sure💞💞💞💞

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2023

This is a comfortable business hotel. Rooms are decently sized and bathrooms are okay too, the washbasin is a small one though. Couple of bummers : Gave one glass bottle of water, replenishments were in the form of plastic bottles. If you ask for the same glass bottle (which I do because of environmental reasons), they don't give it. Breakfast was very decent and overall service was good. A big issue is that they dont have room service for food. They have only beverages that can be ordered to your rooms! The reason is 'we have many restaurants around us'. I found this to be funny. Hotel is well located and opt for higher floors for good views.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2023 via mobile

We stayed at the Protea Hotel Umhlanga on the 14-15 July 2023 and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms are space with a large bathroom and lovely shower. The corner room we stayed in had a gorgeous view. We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet that was included in the room rate and the gentleman manning the egg station was amazing. We would love to visit this hotel again soon.

Room tip: Ask for a higher room on the corner. We were on the 8th floor with the pool just above us and it was amazing!
Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2023 via mobile

Located right on Chartwell Street, this great hotel is in the thick of the action. The amazing Butcher Boys is over the road, as is my favorite bar, 14 on Chartwell.

I’ve stayed here on a few occasions and for some reason my points never get posted to my BonVoy account.

I was welcomed as a silver member, which I queried as I am a Gold member. I was asked to write my BonVoy number on my signing in sheet (which I did).

A couple of weeks have passed since I checked out & still no points in my account.

Shame as it’s a really good hotel.

Date of stay: June 2023