“Fabulous”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2017

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in July. The Ocean Terrace staff every morning were on point with our repeat dietary requirements and always went the extra mile for us. Charlie was amazing. A well run restaurant inside a very well run hotel.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I have recently stayed at this beautiful breathtaking hotel along with my hubby and two boys for 5 nights. I cannot fault the hotel in anyway, we were spoiled beyond words but the area that stood out above all was this glorious restaurant. The manageress knew about all my dietary requirements on arrival without being informed by any member of our family, I got spoiled each day with lovely fresh baked goods, all gluten and lactose free accompanied by lovely home made jams and spreads. My husband has a great love for spicy foods where once again he was spoiled with spicy beef vindaloo, lamb chops and paneer chutney, all beautifully paired with a selection of raita and herbed naan bread, for me they specially prepared gluten free rotti to share in the beautiful selection of curries on offer. The service from each waiter and manager is on a level like no other, we became part of the oyster box family, no request was to large and most details that we never even though about was offered. My two little boys was escorted by the manageress each morning to the breakfast buffet to allow me and hubby to enjoy a relaxed breakfast, water was provided for walks on the beach and special take away boxes filled with snacks when going to spend the morning on the beach! This is what 5:star is all about! The oyster box will from now on be our only hotel in umhlanga for a family holiday or a quick get away from our busy lives! There is too many names to mention, thank you to each and everyone!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

What really really annoys me about The Oyster Box is that it trades on it's excellent reputation from days gone by without actually offering anything special other than a spectacular setting and something to brag about on social media if you're so inclined.

The quality of service has definitely dropped in standard (had to remind the waiter several times about drinks/food orders), as has the food quality yet the prices continue to be outlandishly expensive. If I was getting premium quality food then I'd have no issue paying over R300 for the curry buffet which is average and anyone with a decent palate will agree. Drinks are stupidly expensive to the point that the Tonic in a GNT is the same price as the Gin - it beggars belief.

Because people fancy themselves quite posh when they go to the hotel for a drink or a meal or to stay they won't really admit to the fact that if you took the view and decor away it would be an overpriced venue with average food.

My last visit to there was for lunch with my business partner and we both, after having previously said we'd never return, vowed to keep to our word this time and never spend our money there again until they actually offer what they are selling. As a Durban resident I often have friends who visit and want to go to the Oyster Box for lunch on the Ocean Terrace or drinks upstairs at the Lighthouse Bar and I always indulge them but never again. Because the truth of it is that it's a rip off.

I'm disappointed that this is what has become of a place that I genuinely loved going to and didn't mind paying the inflated prices because it was always a treat and a luxurious one at that.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

I was do looking forward to having good curry in Durban, and everything I read about this restaurant was good.

It was disappointing though.

The Naan bread tasted like thick pizza base and not the normal thin fluffy naan that one would expect from an establishment of this stature.

The prawn and chicken curry was tasteless.

The SA lamb curry and the butter chicken curry was good.

The service was average as the waiter never new the wine menu very well and it is not an extensive list.

Will have to go back sometime with the hope that they have improved.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Very nice setting on the terrace, well sheltered despite the strong wind.
Service was excellent.
Food was very good and portions generous. The mussels starter was the only disappointment, bland and tasteless.
Manager was very kind and helpful in trying to make up for the complaint, dish was not charged for.
Despite the mussels, the restaurant will definitely see us again.