Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Chants50
Kloof, South Africa

Untrained Staff let hotel down.

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Jan 2024via mobile
It’s a beautiful hotel and I loved the surfboard/beach theme throughout. Untrained staff however let the hotel down. Room smelt foul, phone in room wasn’t working, plug in bath wasn’t sealed. Air control was switched off and I woke up soaked as it was so hot in the room. The waiter in the breakfast dining room didn’t know what butter was. Reception was just a disaster when I booked in after a long and very tiring day. It took ages, and it was clear that the staff member did not understand the system. My original room was changed for a room far more inferior. It’s sad as it is a hotel where I always wanted to stay. The night manager was great though, and she was very apologetic. Hopefully I will get another opportunity that will leave a better impression.
Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Responded 12 Mar 2024
Such a pity we didn't deliver a better experience. We trust with the reflection of regular, great comments that this reflects we also have off days and sadly get it wrong. Quick word of apology and to note that your comments have been highlighted and dissected through the team with the urgency and respect that they deserve. We certainly trust on your next visit we knock your engagement and experience out the park. We truly valued the pleasure of hosting you!
1.5 km from Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Lol.travel
  • Vio.com
1.4 km from Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Durban Umhlanga Ridge
Free parking
Exterior with pool and ocean views
  • Algotels
Exterior of hotel
  • Lol.travel
2.1 km from Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Durban Umhlanga Ridge
View more hotels in Umhlanga Rocks
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2024 via mobile

Great experience with Protea Fire and Ice. We had a 4 hour delay on the drive to Durban and was welcomed by very friendly staff, and a free room upgrade.
The upgrade meant the kids had their own bed which was extremely beneficial after a 12 hour drive.

Great location, just cross the road to Gateway. Ample parking.

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Joseph Segers, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2024

Awesome review of the team and the service and facilities on offer. So appreciative of the recognition you have passed of the team and thrilled to read how they made your stay even better by offering enhanced recognition through the upgrade. Appreciated the pleasure of hosting you and your family and trust you visit us again when travelling through Durban again.

Reviewed 16 October 2023 via mobile

We were upgraded to a duplex room on the 7th floor due to my Marriott Bonvoy Elite status, which was very spacious and comfortable. The location of the hotel is excellent and is within walking distance of Gateway Mall. Parking is available underground with direct access to the floors with rooms (key access to residential floors). Staff were also very friendly and helpful. Definitely a highly recommended property!

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeanMendis
Joseph Segers, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Durban Umhlanga Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2023

Thanks Sean, what a superb review of the team, hotel and all the facilities on offer. Appreciate you allowing us the pleasure of hosting you and thanks for being a most valued Marriott Bonvoy Elite member.

Reviewed 9 October 2023

Scelo made my stay at the hotel fantastic. My room was not ready at 2pm but he made the wait worth while. Kept me engaged and update all the time. He is great! The rest of your staff was also very friendly. Loved my stay. Rooms were well done. No issues at all from book in to book out. 10 out 10 for my weekend. Thank You very much Scelo and Fire and Ice!!

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family

What an amazing review and massive appreciation for recognizing Scelo and his team! We take exceptional pride in our guests and when this comes through in the incredible service being delivered by the team it make sus all so proud! Thanks for being a most valued guest.

Reviewed 12 September 2023

My family and I stayed at the protea fire and ice umhlanga over the weekend 9-11/09/2023. We were met by the hotel security (did not get their names) but the gentleman who manned the front door at 14:11 and his colleagues were ever so helpful. We tried to get a wheelchair for my grandmother and they certainly went beyond their call of duty to assist despite being subcontractors of the hotel.

There was a duty manager present at 14:11 at the time whom I met at the hotel entrance regarding the wheelchair issue and she in my opinion wasn’t too helpful in assisting. She explained there was no wheelchair but didn’t go beyond her means to assist in advising us about other alternatives or how to get one. She did inform the staff could assist my grandmom out the car which I appreciate but she didn’t seem to seem to give off a helpful demeanor. ( you will see why I say so when once you read the rest of the review)

I was met my nonfumelo at reception with the biggest smile and warmest welcome. I believe she was the same lady that checked me in 2022 when we stayed in May. And though I could recall the previous interaction in 2022, the welcome and assistance during this stay was beyond exceptional and will forever create a lasting impression of ever I return to the hotel based on service it would be credit to her and a Caucasian gentleman (apologies for not being able to recall his name - but he came on shift at around 2pm) the two most helpful and friendliest staff at the hotel.

I expressed my wheelchair concern to nonfumelo and requested a disability room or the price rate to upgrade but she was so kind to upgrade the standard room to the family room so my grand could be beside the existing family room we booked.

The Caucasian gentleman (I don’t know why I think his name is Sheldon , I may be mistaken) when I expressed the wheelchair concern to him he went out of his easy to ensure each time I passed by reception which was like three or four times in the space of an hour or two to provide updates and other means and options of where and how to get a wheelchair which I deeply appreciate! In the end it was more about the service and genuine concern I received from him that made all the difference unlike the duty manager who said unfortunately there isn’t anything she could do (and didn’t even take the initiative to assist further)

My feedback to marriot - please replace your broken wheelchair , but to nonfumelo and “my Sheldon” (sorry I don’t recall your name your professionalism and empathy with the matter is what deeply touched me and I can’t wait to return and interact with you both next year if you’re still there ♥️

The rooms are wonderful and spacious as always , though we did find that the fridge was not cooling and didn’t have water for a short period but maintenance was speedy enough to be at our room asap to assist with the water issue.

I also wish the hotel catered with things like “working” international adapters as not all your guest are from within the country but if I must say this is just feedback not complaints

The rooms were large, spacious , clean and comfortable
The housekeeping staff on level 6 were exceptional ( the ladies on duty who visited the rooms 644/645 at around 11:00 am and around 13:00 pm… so friendly and such sweet ladies (again I’m sorry for not getting your names)

We had a wonderful stay overall and to nonfumelo and the wonderful Caucasian gentlemen (Il call you Sheldon) thank you so much for your personal touch that made a world of difference- keep at it and I do hope marriot rewards you both because it’s staff like these that not only retains its guests but add VALUE to a brand!!!

Room tip: They do not have wheelchairs in the event you have a disabled family member, please bring your own or make prior arrangements elsewhere
Date of stay: August 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2023 via mobile

Love this hotel. Have stayed on a number of occasions & I’m always warmly greater by the staff.

The rooms, especially the duplex’s, are modern, clean & well equipped. The addition of a kitchen area in the duplex’s is great for weekend stays.

Lively bar, great restaurant & smiling faces.

I look forward to my next visit!

Date of stay: November 2022