Lowest prices for your stay
US$89
View deal
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Expedia.comUS$89
Booking.comUS$89
All reviews gateway mall microwave and fridge location is ideal modern hotel the hotel offers south africa comfortable stay umhlanga leisure kzn
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 April 2021

Once again we were welcomed with so much warmth to this fantastic hotel. From the friendly Porter to the Warm receptionist, we felt so welcomed here. We checked in on Easter Friday, and all kids were welcomed with Helium Balloons. We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment. Rooms were clean and neat as expected. The beds and pillows are one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The poolside entertainment organized for the kids on Saturday morning was fantastic. My kids loved it. This hotel is highly recommended especially when travelling with kids.

Room tip: unfortunately the apartments face the gateway and can get very noisy on Friday and Saturday nights.
Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 17 March 2021 via mobile

This is easily the best hotel I stayed at in a very long time. The accommodation itself, the courteous staff and the tranquility that exists here is second to none.
I can honestly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Durban whether for leisure, with family or while on business. Great value for money and delectable food served. Go on and try it - you can't make a mistake with this place. I'll go back there any day.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 25 December 2020

We stayed in an executive room at this hotel for nine nights as we had to isolate from family staying in our house. The room was lovely and the mattress amazingly comfortable. Service was outstanding and always with a smile. They accommodated a change to our reservation without any hassle. Would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2020 via mobile

I was very skeptic about visiting this property after reading reviews. This hotel proved me wrong and now I know not to base a decision on what others say. From the moment we checked in with my family we were welcomed with a smile and my younger sisters and brother greeted and not ignored like in other hotels. The breakfast was better than we had expected and the hotel really tries to follow the covid protocols. Reception staff is friendly and the restaurant staff serves with a smile. Emmanuel I think was friendly and the food was good. I will be back

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2020 via mobile

Six weeks of vacationing in South Africa, equated to a whole host of lodging option! We experienced hotels, both large and small, quaint inns and small charming B&B’s, and after doing so The Protea Hotel Fire and Ice, located in Umhlanga Ridge, just north of Durban, South Africa, gets our vote for the lodging option delivering the BEST VALUE, or as one might say, THE MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK! It appears to be a newer Marriott property and while my partner and I don’t typically stay in large international chain properties we did this time, and WOW, WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE! . Check in was simple, a front desk attendant, professional and pleasant as could be! A quick look around and it was very apparent that someone did a very tasteful, nicely harmonized throughout, beautiful job, with the decor! A lot of smart choices regarding serviceability, wear and tear! Best of all, the room itself had EVERYTHING a traveler could want or need for a totally comfortable stay. Conveniently located USB ports on each side of the bed, as well a third located on a writing desk. (No need to unplug a lamp in search of an electrical outlet for phone charging, and no need to have to brought along an international electric converter plug. Great bedside lighting, making reading in bed both easy and possible! A spacious room, with really comfortable king size bed, a small furnished kitchenette, with mini refrigerator, microwave, fully stocked with everything needed for morning in room coffee or tea, plenty of storage for suit cases, a closet with hanging space, shelves for storage,too. In room room safe. A very nice bathroom , both tub and shower, nice bathroom amenities! A small outside patio with 2 comfortable chairs.. The hotel offers A REALLY NICE large dining room with wonderful full service breakfast, includes an extensive buffet, at just an additional $10- $15 . Really nice bar, a comfortable lounge , an outdoor swimming pool.
All places considered, for a room rate of just under $100. US dollars, no question about it PROTEA HOTEL, FIRE AND ICE, delivers exceptional value, indeed, A WHOLE LOT OF BANG FOR THE BUCK!

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank dalejohnson2994