Emdoneni Lodge(Hluhluwe)
US$171
US$129
US$89
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$111/night.

US$153
US$141
  • Pool
Leopard Walk Lodge(Hluhluwe)(Great Value!)
US$124
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
US$205
US$165
US$134
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Hlulala Guest House(Hluhluwe)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$48
Hluhluwe Backpackers(Hluhluwe)(Great Value!)
US$38
Orbitz.com
  • Bar/Lounge
WE Bushcamp & Horse Safaris(Hluhluwe)(Great Value!)
US$38
All reviewsheritage safari lodgethe reservezulu nyalacharity auctiongame driveselephant interactionrented a carindian oceanday tripsouth africasilent auctionbuffet stylefront porchwear layersadded costthree nightsincredible trip
Reviewed 17 July 2017

Absolutely loved Zulu Nyala.... Bought through a silent auction. Yes flights were quite expensive but it was well worth it as spent 4 days in Capetown prior to travelling up to Zulu Nyala.
It is about 3 hour from Durban Airport and the transport booked through ZN was good. 3 of us travelled so we upgraded the tent to a luxury family tent and It was lovely (Rhino 1). Big, 3 beds, lounge, coffee/tea making facilities, fridge, ceiling fans and a lovely bathroom with big shower and separate bath.
Food - all the meals were great. a few options each night and was very tasty. Very impressed with it all. it was all clean and looked fresh and the staff were excellent/ Very helpful and friendly.
The whole area was very well kept, plants, lodges, eating and drinking areas. All staff were excellent and friendly.
the twice daily safaris were excellent. Our guide was Amon and he was absolutely fabulous. He was amazing at finding the animals and getting us up close to them. One evening you get to take drinks and watch the sunset. That was a lovely touch, and we got to do some star gazing too and see the milky way come out. Our group was also a lovely bunch 10 people maximum and there was 9 in ours.
Even the additional trips were excellent and the tour guide assigned to you for the week plans and organises it all. We did the elephant interaction which was amazing seeing the elephants up close and learning much more about them, St Lucia boat cruise for the hippos was good and the beach and town visit at St Lucia was really good to see too. the Indian Ocean was lovely Zulu cultural tour was good, and is on the ground of the heritage lodge. Some other guys in our group went whale watching and saw about 30 whales, and some went to the cheetah interaction and Phinda trips too and recommended them.
The Game Lodge looked nice too, and seems to be on the grounds of the reserve so people did see animals walking round, whereas the heritage is just off the grounds.
overall.... it was an excellent experience and would totally go again NOW !!
I have travelled across various continents and Africa has always been my favourite and going back reminded me just how much I love it. Being at one with nature and seeing the animals in their own habitat is amazing and very touching.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank helenX1557IS
Reviewed 17 July 2017

My daughter and I spent 6 nights at the Heritage Lodge. The compound is gated and feels very safe. The rooms and the dining facilities were fine. The staff is very accommodating and tries hard to please.
However, the reception staff is disorganized and needs to improve. I planned the trip and made reservations in January, along with reserving transportation from the airport, and kept communication going until time for the trip. On my way to South Africa, during a layover, I received an email stating that they had to cancel my reservations. I had to call them to straighten it out. There were other problems with reception during my stay as well.
The twice daily safaris were amazing and the 5000 acre reserve is perfect for 1st timers. Our guide, Philamon, was in charge of us, our schedules, arranging additional tours, and taking care of any requests that we had. He was so wonderful, very knowledgeable, humble, and personable! Going on safari with Zulu Nyala was a dream come true!

Stayed: July 2017
2  Thank leah w
Reviewed 10 July 2017

We booked a 7 day stay with this resort and had a wonderful time. Here is what I would tell any family planning a similar trip:
1. Stay in a standard (family) room. You get one bed for the parents and two for the kids (tents, as I understand, while glamorous, do not have same bedding arrangement and flap a lot in the night wind - and it gets windy). I so appreciated having separate beds for our kids and more importantly across the room from my wife and I. Bathrooms were on point (spacious, claw foot tubs, etc)
2. Get CHRIS as your guide - He was amazing and really made sure we were well take care of
3. The food service was ok. Mostly Indian food but no issues. We did not have cold chicken or other issues as some have reported. Our kids are somewhat picky eaters and they made it through :)
4. Wi-Fi is sketchy but available - you are on vacation - get over it
5. Game Drives are twice a day (usually 6am-8am and again 3pm -6pm ...or even 9pm). Don't miss any of them. Enjoy the night time ones as animals are most active.
6. Bring a good camera and a set of binoculars
7. If you are going in winter (their winter) you will want shorts and short and short sleeve shirts for mid day but pants and a jacket each morning and evening
8. I can attest to the best additional excursions for our family were (in order) Phinda Game Drive (half day - ask for Bruce); Elephant Interaction Tour; St. Lucia Boat Cruise and Shopping.
9. The pool is only warm enough in winter for the hearty ones - my kids loved it though.
10. my only negative is that they have an imbalance (in my opinion) of wildlife to available food - there was little to no grass which is the main source of food (especially compared to Phinda) and while it did not impact our trip I do worry for how they will address and/or sustain this over the next few years. Keep looking for the most recent reviews.

Hope this helps and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
12  Thank Rich M
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

I came here with my daughter and friend 4 years ago. This time I brought my 2 grandsons and daughter. The food was wonderful- 3 buffets a day. There are 2 game rides a day and no 2 rides are the same. ( One was a walking safari) I can not recommend this place enough. try the tented luxury accommodations. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.
Presently there is a lot of construction going on but that will soon end.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank ckbucks
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Zulu Nyala was a fairly significant charity auction bid by us and we do not know how much the charity paid Zulu Nyala for the 6 night stay but we lasted only two days. The room was OK and were due to be moved to the Safari Lodge for the last 2 nights but did not stay long enough to see if that was any better. The canteen style buffet dining was poor where the hot courses were always cold and long previously prepared no matter what time you went in. The cold chicken and prawn curry seemed a health hazard as it was tepid at best and the fish was cold and dried out and that was collecting food at the very beginning of of the first lunch session of our stay. It was the sort of all in deal that those who want volume rather than quality would be likely be more happy with. We decided that the salad option for 6 days was not what we had paid Business Class flight prices to SA for. The bath had a leak although the plumber deemed in a pretty superior manner it to be us spilling water when sent to fix it, we had to prove the leak to the staff ourselves. The Game Reserve is very small and overpopulated with Land Cruisers at each Drive so we ended up doing 4 Game Drives out of 12 booked. We missed the best photo shot for us when we flew past mother Giraffe and her baby right beside the track because we were going to the other lodge to pick others up for whom we then waited half an hour because we had arrived early. This would have been our 4th SA safari and the ranger was a good guy and knowledgable but he was having to contend with very diverse customers in our vehicle which did not make his job easy over what was going to be 12 two hour trips together. The lesson here for us has to be don't bid for holidays at charity silent auctions.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple