Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Renee
New York City, New York

Beautiful lodge! Great staff

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 15 Feb 2024via mobile
Let me start by saying the staff is wonderful!!! Every single one of them! I stayed 2 nights a few days ago and I enjoyed my stay with a few hiccups . Only 9 villas and we were in 9 so it’s quit a walk if you’re older like my dad is . The view was fabulous but it’s a little hike .
Also we are in the bush I get it lol but lots of lizards in the room and bugs . I almost didn’t make it past one night but I’m happy I did because the game drives are amazing! Very special and I will remember them forever !
Another thing I wasn’t a fan of theres no menus the chef comes and tells you what’s in for lunch and dinner every day . Mmmmm not a fan I’m so picky I like to see all the ingredients listed . But THE FOOD was very good !! Top quality !
The spa was wonderful had the best massage ! Also room was air conditioned hahah!
The day we were leaving (only stayed 2 nights)
The guys rocked up and came to open my door
I was just done showering and I had it locked the door they came down with bags of another guest it was only 10am our checkout was 11 ! I was truly shocked and confused.
With no explanation! Also our last morning we waited 35 min for our game drive . They said I canceled ,???? Never said no to anyone . They picked me up from the room makes no sense ! But again I enjoyed myself and mistakes happen but Mangement needs to look into it since the day before I didn’t do any game drives just relaxed in the villa and spa . Also had a pool and didn’t use it very merky water . Also brush your teeth with bottled water .
Would u return no. And that’s only because of the bugs the Beatles are huge and all over while you are eating at night so that’s not my thing ! But thanks to the staff for making my dad super happy and dreams come true !
Date of stay: February 2024
Room Tip: If you have mobility issues do not book room 9 . Also if you are not a bug person this is not for...
Trip type: Travelled with family
Lara Soldat, Other at Thanda Safari Lodge, responded to this review
Responded 19 Feb 2024
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that the staff were wonderful.

We do try our best to accommodate our older guests closer to the public areas but we do need to be advised in advance so this can be done. Unfortunately there is not very much we can do about the lizards and bugs in the rooms as we are in the Zululand bush. The lizards mentioned are geckos and these assist us by eating mosquitoes and certain bugs. We do offer repellent in all suites so that guests can use this if required.
We do apologize that our menu offerings were not to your taste. Again, this can be pre-arranged by completing our guest information form prior to your arrival so that we can best prepare for your stay and our Chef would have gladly tailored a menu for you.
We do apologize for the miscommunication with regards to game drive and of course for luggage arriving at your suite prior to departure. This has been addressed with the Team and will be discussed with all staff. We have also let our maintenance team know about the murky water at the pool so this can be rectified.

We're sorry to hear that you will not visit us again but happy that your Dad enjoyed his stay.
R 950
28.9 km from Thanda Safari Lodge
    R 1 189
30.3 km from Thanda Safari Lodge
View more hotels in Hluhluwe
All reviews plunge pool game drives the reserve herd of elephants zulu culture safari lodge very special place male lion wake up call main gate following morning tracker knowledge ranger bush fireplace guide
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 November 2023

We booked Thanda Safari Game Reserve for four days, two in the lodge and two in the tents. The lodges is very big and beautuful and nice decorated with a lovely veranda, Breakfast lunch and dinner tasted great and everybody working there where very nice to us. The tents is not so big as the lodges, but very nice with a small veranda. Breakfast, lunch and dinner served as buffe and tasted good. The people working there very nice aswell. We did go to safari 7 times. Our guide CJ was very nice and wellknown, and explained a lot of different things about the nature in the reserve, the history behind Thanda and the Zulu people. The tracker Ronie has good eyes so we were lucky to spot many birds and animals. This game reserve is very beautiful including a lot of Rhinos,We even see cheetah,Lions and many more.
Thanks to everybody making our holidays so good!

Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lara Soldat, Other at Thanda Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2023

Thank you for your wonderful feedback which I have shared with the team!
I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2023

What an amazing 3 days at Thanda Safari Lodge with our family. including our 9 yr old granddaughter. Our guide Peace and tracker, Sichivolo, gave us some wonderful animal experiences, including early morning coffee surrounded by giraffes and zebras, a very close encounter with a family of cheetahs and seeing male Nyala performing Lateral Progression. This was a holiday to remember! The staff were all friendly and helpful and the food was wonderful. Our granddaughter was so proud to receive her Junior Field Guide training certificate at the end of our stay. The suites were luxurious and we couldn't resist using the Spa.

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Lara Soldat, Other at Thanda Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2023

Thank you for your wonderful feedback which I will share with all staff.

I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2023

We spent a week at Thanda Lodge, our 4th visit (the previous one in 2019), and enjoyed every minute of it. Thanda's wildlife seems to be thriving – it seems to get better every time. We greatly enjoyed the company of our guide Tasia and tracker Derick as they expertly lined up some amazing wildlife encounters. Stars of the show were the elephants, lions and cheetahs, but there were many others, including 2 black rhinos. When we were there, the Reserve was fairly quiet, and with plenty of time we were able to stay watching and photographing/filming their behavior for as long as we wanted.

The lodge remains one of our all time favorite places to stay. The rooms are fabulous - everyone gets an outdoor shower, plunge pool, sala, and private boma, as well as air conditioning for the open-plan sitting room (with log fire and included mini-bar), bedroom (comfortable, large four-poster with mosquito nets) shower area and bathroom, with great views across the reserve from inside and out.

The lodge staff make the place even more special. The food was delicious and service excellent. Nothing is too much trouble, and everything is done with a smile. Great place.

We will be back!

Date of stay: October 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We do really love reading feedback like yours, thank you for sharing your stay with us.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay and we looking forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home!

Reviewed 14 October 2023 via mobile

What an unbelievable experience. We hosted a French exchange student and spent a wonderful 3 days at the tented camp. All staff, guides and rangers were exceptional and I can happily say that the French students parents were absolutely amazed by the video compilation we made of our visit. Thanda is a 5 star experience. Special thanks to Siya for managing allnof requests including an unforgettable bush dinner

Date of stay: April 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Lara Soldat, Other at Thanda Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2023

Thank you for your wonderful review which I will share with the Team.
We hope you will visit again soon!

Reviewed 30 September 2023

Oh my goodness, this place is simply amazing. Everything was exceptional.
Accommodation was comfortable, clean and tidy. Having your own pool, and outside lounging area was lovely.
Food was excellent, oh my taste buds were very happy with all the food. We also had a meal in the Bush, wow.
Service was excellent such nice people.
I had a hot stone massage which was very good. One of the better massages I have had.
Driver and tracker were exceptional I saw a wide range of wildlife, luckily they found everything I said I would like to see. Very knowledgeable.
I would happily return

Room tip: Just enjoy
Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Lara Soldat, Other at Thanda Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2023

Thank you for your wonderful review which i will share with all our staff.
We hope you will visit again soon.