Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
jwaddi886228

Beautiful place to stay

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Jan 2020
Loved the friendly atmosphere. The tree house was gorgeous and the bed very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was very good. Would like to have stayed longer. Will definitely be staying there again.
Date of stay: January 2020
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ubizane General M, Guest Relations Manager at Zululand Tree Lodge, responded to this review
Responded 26 Jan 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a beautiful review!

We appreciate the kind words and we are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We strive to provide our guests with the opportunity to make amazing memories in the heart of the African bush and we are so glad to hear that you had beautiful memories to associate with Ubizane!

Thank you so much for your recommendation! We hope to see you again soon in the Zululand area on your next trip to Africa!

Looking forward to meeting you again!
R 901
    R 1 281
    R 1 366
11.5 km from Zululand Tree Lodge
View more hotels in Hluhluwe
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 November 2019

The lodge is really nice, very attentive and helpful staff. Breakfast and dinner were very good.
We definitely recommend booking the game drive with the tree lodge, and maybe do the bush walk, too. Meghan did a great job!
Only improvement we could think of: a more ecofriendly and green way to pack the breakfast packages for the game drive. That would be the fifth star.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 4 October 2019

Very pleasant stay however I think the crocodile pond should be moved to another place to allow the animals in the park to come and drink in front of the dinning room as crocs are not very exciting to watch but loads of game would be and its perfectly located for enjoying your meal with the animals drinking rather than ugly corcs. The mini bar fridges need to be checked as 2 of the other guests fridges froze everything in them and my fridge didn't work at all. The food was below standard for the establishment but pleasant enough.

Date of stay: September 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2019

We decided to stay here for two nights as I needed to recover urgently after getting violently sick on our road trip from the Kruger to the South Coast and i was the driver. By that time I had vomited everything up but was still incredibly green around the gills. I wanted to recover so we could do Hluhluwe before heading for the South Coast.

Safe to say it served our purposes but not as a holiday destination in itself.

The first day I spent sleeping in the room just venturing out onto the verandah to rest and to get some toast for breakfast and a nibble for dinner. I remember the lovely little impala playing silently under and around or room on stilts, it was quiet and cool and I was feverish. The bed couldn't have been better.
Second day I was feeling much improved as you often are after these things and was up for using the facilities. Unfortunately they don't have a swimming pool because thats exactly what I wanted to do just sit in it and conserve my energy as it was also very very hot. There is a pool but it's part of another complex and hotel type thing (could be time share no idea) a short distance driving away. It was all closed that facility including the bar and what looked like a restaurant but the pool was available so i used it and was rather enjoyable as there was no one in sight just the chirping birds.

Back at the hotel the rooms don't have much of a view from their verandahs which is a disappointment. The eaves are too low so you cant see the birds in the trees or much except for the thatch roof and a few tree trunks and the ground if you looked down, but its a cool enough place to sit in the shade. The chairs are not very comfortable I'm afraid. In my condition I just lay on the floor which coincidently improves the view substantially and the comfort. I saw a few birds species this way and one building a nest which was a very therapeutic way to spend getting better.

On the second day I was up for dinner feeling much stronger. Having felt positively green the night before I had just had a soup and left it at that, it wasn't nice. I couldn't quite decide what it was for soup either but not exactly homemade. My traveling companion had a full meal. He was unenthusiastic. Anyway we put it down to my condition and tiredness from driving all day. So we tried again. I wasn't very impressed with the food at all. It was very rough around the edges and quite poorly prepared, the selection wasn't great either and somewhat fleshed out. Dont expect South African favourites done beautifully because you wont find that and if you do it will be in name only. I had a small something to eat as nothing was really enticing enough. Breakfast the following morning was slightly better but again all a bit rough around the edges. Not exactly made with any great love of cooking and ingredients but rather because they have to get it out there twice a day. So not quite standard fare even, but still you can get a fairly decent eggs anystyle, toast if thats your thing and a coffee. More effort here could vastly improve the experience.

Its not far from Hluhluwe game reserve so quite a good place to stay if you intend to go on day drives, but its not the place to rush back home to exactly and the pool is a problem. The rooms are also very far from the parking, which in my condition the first day was unbearably far as I just wanted to collapse flat on a bed. It's quite a walk , though not as far to the dinning room from the room. There is a fenced crocodile pool which the dinning room overlooks. It's not a pleasant, green, slimy and dirty. There are also hundreds of birds that roost in the trees in the middle that add to the mess bellow. The birds enjoy a much nicer environment than the poor captive crocs do and are quite diverting to watch. It looks like a messy neglected zoo exhibit which should be closed down. Not really what you want to see. There was also a single rather frustrated ostrich in a pen on the road to the shared swimming pool. The free ranging buck and bird life are charming though but it's not exactly a game park in feel.
Staff were a little absent being Christmas and also a little strained for working over the holiday but there was a porter to carry our bags which was a great help. Even though she was as older than my mother and had to carry them all by herself she did it with a smile and we gave her a fat tip for her troubles. I certainly was in no condition to help her either unfortunately and nor was anyone else by that stage.

Would I go back, probably not. It needs an injection of love, dedication and cash. It certainly has lots of potential. What could be fabulous is rather mediocre instead. At least I know now what lies behind those gates which are a lot more promising than the reality.
Still I have to say an excellent bed to recover in and our room itself felt cosy, really not that bad, though perhaps a bit pricy for what you get. Still I felt grateful I could recover in comfort and peace and quiet. Eternally grateful just luckily our room was in fact so far away.

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed 29 August 2019

Great place to stay, very friendly people and a beautiful quite, safe place. From your balcony you cab see the game wandering around your lodge. Confortable and clean. Excellent breakfast and buffet diner, 10 min from game reserve.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed 22 July 2019

What a disappointing weekend! Apart from the fact that we had booked and paid for 2 on a special Booking.com, which wasn't honoured when we got to the lodge (we had to pay in almost double), the room was a bit shoddy and the general hospitality, poor. Apparently this was once a lovely place, with excellent service. This is no longer the case. The room furniture is tired and visibly repaired in certain instances, with different wood and nails poking out. The shower didn't work properly. The food is mediocre, with absolutely no vegetarian options, so if you're now a red meat eater, bring your own protein along. No good enough for the prices they charge. Perhaps they have become reliant on large overnight international tour groups,like the one that arrived on the Sunday, and have lost interest in catering to local guests who stay longer? The setting is lovely, but the staff talked and shouted so loudly and incessantly throughout each day that it became unpleasant to even sit outside on the deck. The morning game drive in Hluhluwe was great - you pay extra for that. The staff were friendly enough, but clearly lacked hospitality training. No sign of any management all weekend. We came away feeling ripped off and generally mistreated.

Date of stay: July 2019
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Ubizane General M, Manager at Zululand Tree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2019

Dear Guests,

we are truly sad that you did not enjoy your time here, as we value how much our guests’ holidays mean to them. we have worked long and hard in the last past years to uplift our service levels and reputation, as you can see from the other comments on this forum.

we are all here to serve the guests, from myself the Lodge manager right through to scullery and gardeners, and there is always at least 3 managers present throughout the day, with two reservationist and Receptionist based in front all the time and during dinner service.

At the end of the day, it is not about what we felt or did, it is about what you experienced, and you were not pleased. We will take to heart and action what issues you have raised, as our guest opinion is what keeps us in business and with our service delivery of a personal standard, we always try and ensure that we treat our guests with the utmost respect and friendliness that our abilities afford.

Once again, we are truly sad that you did not enjoy your time here.

Ubizane Wildlife Reserve