“To Spur or Not to Spur...That is the question......”

Grand Bay Spur Steak Ranch
Ranked #303 of 713 Restaurants in Durban
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Reviewed 14 August 2016

Firstly....if this Spur wasn't part of the Durban Spa,it would've closed down by now.
Secondly,we are talking about a fast food family franchise not a restaurant,and that is where the problem lies,I thought there were minimum standards these franchises had to abide by.
Thirdly,anybody going to a Spur,Steers,CTFM or John Dorys knows what they're in for and that they have their own flavour's on all their dishes.
If you've been to all of them, you could identify their tastes blindfolded.
We dine out very often,and also know not to compare a Spur with Butcher Boys etc.
Sometimes,being Beachfront locals,we don't want to drive somewhere for a quick meal.
So we were happy when we saw Spurs so close to us.
Before,our quick meals were only had at Suncoast casino.
But Its nice to have a stroll to an eatery around here now and again,like the old days.
It is not the first time we have been here,and every time...
the FOOD IS SERVED COLD.
We had the ribs,at R169 ea for 600g,thats not cheap anymore,
and at that price,I expect ,at the very least, is to have them sizzling on my plate when they arrive.
Not to mention,these were of the huge 6"+ boned variety.
Very little meat ,more like 90% bone 10% meat,
Not like the usual 3 or 4" ribs you normally get elsewhere,which are 70% bone 30% meat and heaps tastier.
My fault for not asking first then?
It seems this Spur has a problem with hot food, as also with our last visit,the food was warm at the very least,and cold in 3 minutes after it arrived.
I've been here alone a few times before as well,again.. cold to warm food is the best i received.
Im talking about the food though,the chips burn you fingers if you touch them,
that's why i'm confused why the food is cold.
The staff are friendly,but average.
Its obvious what clientele they are usually serving.
No harm done there.
So Mr Spur head office..I think its about time you send a mystery diner out there and see what you can do to maintain a minimum standard.
Anybody else that is in a car? Drive right past and keep on heading to Suncoast Casino,and don't bother stopping at North Beach either....
or try Ushaka in the opposite direction.
Better still,if you're coming from the suburbs,there's plenty restaurants to choose elsewhere on the way to Dirtbins beachfront.
Or try the shopping malls and do some shopping at the same time etc etc
Yes..been there done that... ey?
It's a shame really,the possibility was there, to be a good value family eatery.
Then again, when a local says Durban will never change,it will really never change.
I'm embarrassed for the tourists passing through here really.
Will I go there again?
Unfortunately yes...but i'll choose my meal carefully...
can anyone stuff up a burger meal?...lets wait and see...LOL

2  Thank dirbinlocal

Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

A very quiet and located by the beach, this big Spurs has very friendly staff. I was served by one called Adore and she is very passionately professional

Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

Absolutely fabulous staff. They were pleasant and efficient and got everything correct. The service was quick and the food arrived very quickly.
That's when I became disappointed. I ordered the ribs with wings and they came out looking okay but they were cold. Now I am not one to complain ever but I could not eat them at all. The ribs were a little chewy and tough so I asked the waitress if they could be a little warmer. She returned not three minutes later and I think with the same plate cause nothing much had changed. The wings were a fraction warmer so I forced my way through them and ate the chips and onion rings. It was such a shame this happened because it was such a fantastic start to the evening. Our waiter Djabs was so good.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

We had supper recently at the Grand Bay Spur and found the place to be very clean and plent of space. Staff were warm and friendly. Food is the same as what you would get at other Spurs'

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

We had take away burgers for 8. Tania and her team run a nice Spur, well lit and friendly service. Nicely located on the Durban beach front at The Durban Spar.

Nice and clean with a cool kids play area.

Very relaxing and worth the visit.

The burgers were excellent.

We noticed a special menu that we haven't seen at any other Spur. The R39 weekday Lunch Special....steak and chips or Fish and chips or a variety of food.

A bargain at R39.

Well done Spur

Excellent service and food at affordable prices.

Ben and family Botswana