See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 September 2014

We stayed at the Lodge a few nights with our 10 month old baby.
The owner was welcoming and friendly, happy to answer all our questions about the city and life in it. Not only was she incredibly sweet with our little one, but she helped arrange a very knowledgeable taxi driver for an all-day tour of the city.
The grounds were very well kept and the house was lovely.
Breakfast was very nice (they even made the little one scrambled eggs of his own), the staff was kind and patient with the baby, and we felt completely at ease in our time there.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I must honestly say that the location wasn't so bad, but I think the advertising is done really well because the Ad is way far off from the real world. My Husband was really disappointed. The only outstanding this was the SPA...the Spa was excellent. The breakfast just effortlessly done, wasn't much choice, it just felt like one hadn't left their own house. The Staff was friendly. Our overall rating for African Sensation was really not great at all. We booked into a hotel further down the road, and only then felt like we were on holiday. :(

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Senapam
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a lovely, short stay - everything was clean and beautiful and the staff were very accommodating and extremely polite and friendly and made us feel very comfortable.. The spa was extremely relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014

At just entering the spa,they even forgot they had reservations,The staff were not friendly at all.They had given us two rooms,only to come and take the keys at 9 when we paid and booked the second room.We had booked two sets of massages,while my friends were getting their massage,we ordered to leave the room,cos they needed to clean when our time was not up,not to mention the welcome drink ,the breakfast was cold and didn't even ask if we have halal or non halal. the staff was even fighting with us for toilet tissue,On booking we had spoken to a lady named caroline,We had asked if they serve supper,she said yes,Wen we arrived they said they don't serve supper,Then the bar was opened to guest and wen we went to purchase drinks they said they don't sell to guests.While they were drinking and having a party,we were not allowed to sit on the terrace. the only good thing was the massage.This is really poor services,i would not recommend this spa to any1.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank 505merryl
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We just visit the African Sensations Spa and Lodge for a 1 and 1/2 hour spa treatment for 2 (which we purchased off daddy's deals, valued at R1850)

Firstly, quite a funny experience: upon arrival we walked through the door marked "reception", to walk in on a poor man in bed in his suite! The owner was shocked the arrow next to this sign had fallen off, even though numerous staff had walked passed since.

Treatment: Our treatment was supposed to begin with a fruit platter, this never arrived, and instead we were given 1 bran muffin, to share...

We were then escorted to our room, very nice, good music and lighting. Quite cold, and my towel needed a serious dose of softener.

Our therapists were very accommodating and sweet. The actual treatment was quite average, great food massage and exfoliation, and good strength used on my aching shoulders. But the negatives: head massage was more of a movement of hair (need more pressure in single spots at a time) and then I was seriously uncomfortable when asked to lie on my stomach as my bed (as opposed to the bed my mother was on) didn't have a hole for my face, so my neck was strained backwards for half the treatment, on a pillow while battling to breath. I had to eventually ask to rather lie on my back and try massage my shoulders like that as my neck felt worse off then when I began!

I think the ladies lack training and a touch of professionalism that could really lift their service. Going in and out of the room during the session was not tranquil. But they tried their best to make me comfortable and we're very welcoming and sweet.

All in all no where near the R1850 value, think this was a complete thumbsuck as some of the best spa's in Durban aren't even this expensive!

Thanks