“rustic and charming with great coffee”
Review of The Olive Garden

The Olive Garden
Ranked #408 of 625 Restaurants in Durban
Reviewed 20 December 2016

This very rustic establishment is hidden in a leafy green spot amongst the nurseries and carries with it a very country feel. The food was good and our waitress was friendly. The prices could be more friendly. However compliments to the chef, the breakfast did take a while to arrive but it was yummy. I think it was called "Lebanese Breakfast" or something like that. The coffee was lovely. The adjoining nursery made for a nice stroll amongst the herb garden and other indigenous and fruit trees.

There are newer reviews for The Olive Garden

Reviewed 12 December 2016

We often visit The Olive Garden because of the setting and "most of the time" lovely food. We invited friends to join us and all of them was impressed with the food. All was going well ...we did have to, now and again, look for a waitress to assist...but it really was not pleasant when we were abruptly told that they are going to cash up (yes, we can continue to sit and chat) but they are closing (at 16H00 on a Sunday)...really...the prices are now sky high (is this due to Christmas and holiday makers?) and we paid R64 for a very small focaccia (yes, it was delicious) but that is very expensive. The rest of the prices was also very high and I did get a bit of a shock. Previously we would very easily visit but not so sure in future....just too expensive!

Reviewed 29 October 2016

I try and support local non-franchise businesses, and this morning I decided to take my 89 year old mum for tea at 'The Olive Garden'. We have been before with mixed results. Today was no different: The waitress, a pleasant young lady was totally at sixes and sevens in terms of just what was available. We asked what confectioneries were available and were shown menus. Mum chose apple-crumble and the lemon cheesecake. No, no cheesecake sorry. Ok so I chose the Almond and Orange cake. No, no Almond and Orange cake. Ok so I chose the scone. No, no scones. That did it for me, and I thought it safer to stick with just coffee. Lo and behold, the waitress returns to tell me, 'sorry, the scones are available' - so I ordered one. The scone when it came, looked fine, but had one small butter patty ( portioned type ) and one strawberry jam blikkie, and a tiny ramekin of whipped cream and same of grated cheese. Basically there was just enough of the 'nice stuff' for one half of the scone. The apple crumble by comparison had two great big portions of cream and looked delicious. For R42, I would say it was spot-on. The price of the Scone on the menu was R46 but I was only charged R30 ?? why ? I would far rather be charged R46 and have too much jam and cream than only be able to eat half the scone for R30. The coffee was good. Its a lovely venue and very peaceful, but why doesn't management TRAIN the staff properly? This eatery markets itself heavily on Social Media, but the truth is that its easier to keep clientele by living up to the promise than it is to secure new ones. [ on a side note, the salt grinder on the table was filthy - it doesn't bode well for the areas patrons cant see - but I trust this was just a once-off ]

Reviewed 20 October 2016

Beautiful setting in the nursery. Variety of daily specials in addition to regular menu. Service good.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

It was such a pity because the meals were were provided were good, but despite the restaurant being pretty quiet the service was on the slow slide. I had a hamburger and chips which was tasty and my wife had piadina which was also good.

No free internet available. Situated around a large nursery which is very pleasant.