“Wow! Excellent Meals- Great Value, Chic feel, Amazingly superb service.”
Review of Grill Jichana

Grill Jichana
Ranked #5 of 700 Restaurants in Durban
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A modern and stylish Grill/Steakhouse that offers a short and sizzling menu. The meaning of Jichana, "eating good" in Swahili, embraces the flavours and aromas of the original east Coast of Africa's spice route. Cassia, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, turmeric and pepper. These robustly flavoursome spices complement the grilling of meat, fish and chicken creating Jichana!
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Where do I start in describing this place?
I was really wowed by the quality of food, its phenomenal presentation, its deliciousness, portion size, and service.

Complimentary sherry and a warm and friendly welcome on arrival. The host even assisted me in getting a parking spot, allowing me to park in the hotel parking lot. Which was incredibly helpful as I drove around for at least 10 mins prior.

We had the Confit Duck, and Rump Steak, with Parisian butter.

It was prepared to perfection, succulent, and full of flavor.
My waitress was the sweetest most helpful person, she called the chef to explain the cuts of wagu on offer for the day, the chef also assisted us in deciding on our food choice. Between the ostrich, lamb, and duck it was nearly impossible to make a decision, however, I'm sure that any dish would have been scrumptious.

This is a fine dinning establishment, however, meals are well priced.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Had my folks anniversary to celebrate and made a booking for 7pm. The setup is quaint with subtle sophistication but the lighting is terrible and what should have been a superb evening ended up with a sincere amount of disappointment:

(a) The alleged LM prawns are NOT LM prawns rather over-sized fresh water imported India shrimp (this is a misrepresentation that one would expect from a fast food joint but was addressed with Justin the Manager on duty and he indicated the supplier would be racked over the coals)
(b) The Norwegian salmon serving took the word minimal to a whole new level!

There were pluses nonetheless, the Lamb Shank - superb! The Escargots - fantastic! As for the service, needs polishing at the end of the day.

The reason for this specific review is due the price demanded per meal - if I had to give this another shot, it would have to be done under duress quite frankly but I do believe with some serious attention from Managment, this could prove to be a stellar place.

2  Thank Nav_Chan_SA
Reviewed 4 January 2018

We went for dinner on our anniversary, we haven't been here and was undecided on whether to try it, after reading some reviews we decided to give it a try and we were not disappointed. Service was great, the meals were excellent, no complaints at all. the lamb shank was cooked to perfection. hubby had the duck, his only complain was that the portion was a lil small for him - but the meal itself was lovely. to top it off dessert was superb !! a must try.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

Excellent menu options. Great service. Definitely recommend the prime rib with the French butter. For desert I had the Panacotta infused with rose water.

Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

went for a dinner whilst attending a conference in the same hotel. the menu is limited. I had a perfectly cooked fillet with great sides. the wine selection is decent.