“Great food, great vibe, great cocktails!”
Review of Ocean Basket

Ocean Basket
Ranked #147 of 625 Restaurants in Durban
Price range: US$5 - US$100
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 13 October 2016

I love their seafood platters and their cocktails are just the best! Wonderful vibe and we meet friends here for lunch and cocktails quite often... Once of my favourite hang out spots

There are newer reviews for Ocean Basket

Reviewed 17 August 2016

Felt very comfortable. Food was fantastic and served well within the expected time. I will surely be popping by again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2016

Had kingklip which was absolutely delicious and very good value for money
also had the prawns which were equally tasty and affordable

Reviewed 23 June 2016

Treated ourselves to a seafood dinner out and it was a stuff up from the word go! the staff are rude and incompetent. The manager tried to rectify issues but didn't comp anything despite explaining how many things went wrong...

1-arrived, slackly shown a seat. We sat down and started looking at the venue and a kitchen hand came to the table and set the garlic-chilli trio condiment set on top on my menu while i was reading it. I looked at her and playfully asked how i can now read the menu with the plate on top of it, she looked at me like 'I' was stupid and lifted the plate and shoved the menu into my hand to hold above the condiments instead - what if we were only ordering dessert???? we hadn't even ordered yet, how did they know we even needed garlic?

2- we had to call the waitress to serve us, ordered our wine, off she went only to return and let us know they didn't have that wine. I asked what they did have and she said to choose off the menu, i chose something else and she apologised they didn't have that either, i then asked again what DO they have and she listed 2 wines one of which i chose, not particularly happy with the variety on offer. My wine came with a dead ant in it..

3- I ordered a big platter of seafood which comes with chips or rice, neither of which i eat so I asked for the stir fry veg side instead, (which is listed on the menu at the same price as the rice and chips) but the waitress refused to allow that so i had to pay extra for the side and waste the chips/rice. The platter came drenched in a yellow sauce. i ordered grilled as the healthier option but everything was swimming in this yellow butter sauce - not like the picture. I tried to eat it as it was, but the sauce was so gross and overpowering i couldn't taste the expensive seafood and had to send it back and asked no sauce - the sauce tasted like margarine with wayyyy too much Aromat. The waitress was reluctant to take the food back so i called the manager who promptly fixed it. The platter came without the squid heads, only the tentacles which was disappointing.
When the corrected dish arrived (no aromat margarine) i couldn't even eat the prawns because they were so overcooked and obviously defrosted in a microwave with packaging on or something because they tasted like plastic...probably why so much sauce initially...so disappointing!

4- for dessert we thought we'd try the traditional Greek cake soaked in syrup served with custard and cream or ice cream which arrived dry... when we asked where the custard and sauce was the waitress said the custard is finished. I asked why she didn't come and tell us first because we wanted a moist dessert, we would've switched to something else and she just shrugged and put the dessert in front of us. I asked for the manager again who apologised and took the dessert away and removed it from the bill and asked if we wanted coffee instead - we declined and left as swiftly as possible.

Very disappointing food, service and atmosphere - the restaurant was pretty empty the whole night on a Friday.... now we know why!

Reviewed 30 April 2016 via mobile

This Ocean Basket serves some of the best seafood in the Musgrave area, but the service let's them down. Food takes ages to come to you and the staff pay little attention to customers.