Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
R 649
No fees just great deals
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 April 2020

Great Location , Excellent Rooms,
Excellent Staff,
but poor breakfast, do not book with breakfast and there a lot of place to take your breakfast
near to catalona square, metro station ,shopping areas.

Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed 2 March 2020

It had been 30 years since my last visit to the Royal Hotel. I spent this past weekend there and was shocked at the changes. This once glorious hotel had become shabby. Faded, stained carpets, banister railings missing on stairs, terrible TV reception, lack of staff communication (examples - I decided to hike up the 21 flights of stairs to the rooftop pool; several staff members guided me as to how to get there, and when I did it was closed and under construction. The staff didn't seem to know this. Example 2: Arriving at the dining room for breakfast, every seat was taken and it was full. I left and did not get breakfast. No one informed me that I could have taken breakfast in another room.
The best part of the hotel was the harbour view from my room.
Unfortunately this location is no longer what it used to be. The streets of Durban Central are absolutely filthy and I will definitely not be going there again.

Room tip: The better rooms are the ones on the higher floors.
Date of stay: March 2020
Reviewed 12 February 2020

I visited The Royal Hotel in January 2020. Checked in on the 3rd and out on the 6th.
Just as we parked, the hotel bellman came with their cart and escorted us to our room.
The rooms are as advertised on the website, the view of the Sea was refreshing.

The rooms are well ventilated and the air conditioner come handy for those chilly raining evenings.
The room service did an excellent job keeping the rooms clean and fresh. The English / buffet breakfast catered for all dietary requirements. This Hotel is perfect for the entire family and it is wheelchair friendly too.
Excellent hostess by far!!!!

Room tip: Most economical with the best service ever
Date of stay: January 2020
Elzette S, Public Relations Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2020

Dear Maude, thank you for choosing The Royal Hotel as your desired destination. Thank you for taking the time to give us comprehensive feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the food, rooms, service and great stay with us. Thank you for the great TripAdvisor rating. We value your feedback. We look forward to sharing more wonderful moments with you in the near future.

Reviewed 27 December 2019 via mobile

On arrival I went to the help desk, the gentleman confirmed my online booking and told me to take a seat and wait for the print out so I could check in. 50 minutes later (while sitting right there) I stood up and went back to reception and told one of the ladies that I was waiting to check in (no explanation or apology offered). I signed the documents, got a key and went up to my room. On arrival, the key that I was given did not work. I had to go all the way back to reception. After correcting the problem with the key I went back up to my room. On entering, and being emotionally drained at this point, I decided to order room service only to find that the phone was not working. While attempting to make the phone call, I also noticed a piece of used bubblegum on the desk lamp. I phoned reception using my personal phone to report the broken telephone and order room service. The guy from maintenance was up within 10 minutes and then told me that he couldn't fix the phone and the technicians would have to take a look at it, since it was a public holiday, it was not going to get fixed anytime soon. Room service was quick and efficient and friendly. The room itself was dirty, the curtains were dirty and the carpets had small stains here and there. The mini bin in the room was also broken. There was also hair in the basins in the bathroom (from previous clients maybe). I also noticed a lot of dust. The only positives was the staff attitudes, (reception and security staff members were pleasant). And also the safety and security. I definitely will not use this establishment again.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 December 2019

The hotel is beautiful and clean with friendly staff. The breakfast was really nice and tastes good.
Hotel Wi-Fi connection is very poor, we couldn't even connect once on 3 days that we spend.
Besides that we really have a good time with my Cape Town friend.

Date of stay: December 2019
Elzette S, Public Relations Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2019

Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing The Royal Hotel as your destination of choice. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We appreciated your feedback. We apologize for the Wi-Fi not working properly. We will be looking into the matter. We are however grateful that you had an overall great experience with us. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, food as well as location. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.