Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Kuyo S
Lusaka, Zambia

The Ocean Views!!!!!!

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 04 Jan 2024
Very nice location with great ocean views...that was from our room. i feel the rooms feel a little dated...the TVs are really old the bathrooms too. could do with a little touch ups. Otherwise enjoyed our stay.
Date of stay: November 2023
1 372
1 128
1 372
1 128
All reviews room service value for money durban beachfront golden mile sea view promenade conference
Selected filters
8 - 13 of 3 367 reviews
Reviewed 4 January 2024

Our stay at Southern Sun Maharani overlooking Durban North Beach was a delightful escape. The room's design allowed us to enjoy breathtaking coastal views, seamlessly integrating with the stunning backdrop. The well-appointed interiors created a cozy retreat, enhancing our overall experience. The convenience of being close to Durban North Beach allowed for spontaneous beachside strolls. The hotel's commitment to exceptional service from friendly and attentive staff contributed to the warm and welcoming atmosphere. The soothing sounds of the ocean and play of sunlight on the waves became captivating aspects of our stay. Southern Sun Maharani's location and service ensured a memorable coastal retreat. The overall experience left us eager to return to this exceptional beachside haven.

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2023 via mobile

We booked the hotel for 2 nights and was a terrible experience, firstly when we got to the hotel, the porter just watched us carry our suitcases, when we got to the reception, the guy was busy on the phone and the lady sitted there just looked at us, til we told her that we are guests who came to check in! The room really needs some upgrading, the shower didnt work properly, the window lock was broken, all in all, the location is excellent but the hotel needs to improve on their service.

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2023 via mobile

This is a luxurious hotel just by the North coast beaches of Durban. I was told its a 4 star hotel but the one next to it called Elangeni was 5 stars. Having passed through Emlangeni on my first day by mistake, I dont see why that is. I think Maharani is a more polished hotel than the former though they are both run by the same company. My check-in process was smooth enough but I missed 2 days from the 7 day booking due to airline delays. Its unfortunate the hotel did not offer me any assistance in this regard as they basically had 2 days paid for free. I also asked for a late check out which was granted but for some reason the staff were not aware of this on my last day.

Besides these minor setbacks I will still rate the hotel highly for cleanliness, good food and good decor. Its proximity to the beach and promenade are also hard to beat.

Room tip: Check weather carefully before travelling. Durban weather is temperamental.
Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2023

During my recent visit to Durban, I had the opportunity to explore the Elangeni and the Maharani hotels. While the memorable beauty of the marble stairs at the entrance of years gone by has been replaced, both establishments had their own unique charm that left a positive impression on me.

Although I had initially booked a room at the Elangeni, I was pleasantly surprised to be given a room on the 21st floor of the Maharani instead. The view of the sea from this vantage point was truly breath taking, blurring the lines between the ocean and the sky. It was a sight to behold.

The room itself was more than satisfactory, especially for someone like me who has extensively travelled across the Middle East and Africa for the past decade. While it may not have been the epitome of luxury, it surpassed the realm of mediocrity and provided a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere.

My stay was only for a single night, but I made sure to indulge in the buffet offered by the hotel. The variety of dishes was remarkable, ranging from delicious BBQ to delectable seafood and everything in between. The boerewors and lamb chops were particularly outstanding, and the array of seafood options kept me craving for more.

I was reluctant to give the mouth-watering salads a miss, but they stood no chance against all the other tempting options. Sad to say, the irresistible spread of desserts presented a guilt-inducing temptation that I couldn't resist. Should have gone for the salads instead.

Regrettably, the one major drawback of an otherwise excellent culinary experience was the sight of hotel guests coming down to dine wearing the hotel robes, which I found quite displeasing. It would be greatly appreciated if the hotel management could enforce a dress code in common areas, ensuring that all guests are appropriately attired during meal times. This would contribute to a more enjoyable dining experience for all paying guests.

Despite this setback, I had an overall pleasant stay at the Maharani. The breath taking view, comfortable room, and diverse buffet made my brief visit a memorable one. I would certainly consider returning in the future, hoping that the hotel takes into account the concerns of their guests regarding the dress code issue

Room tip: Watch out for inappropriately dressed diners.
Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2023

Despite being one the older hotels, it is still a gem. The room size and quality were exceptional. We stayed in two recently renovated rooms which added to the comfort. The bathroom was spotless from floors to the loo to the sink area. The bedding was clean and comfortable. The tables and side stations were clean and even the windows and curtains looked newly cleaned. Breakfast was exceptional. Returning to this hotel after years was well worth it and definitely rivals the quality of its nearby sister hotels.

Date of stay: July 2023