See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and I have a mixed opinion as this hotel have both good points and not so good ones.

One really needs an appreciation for old English architecture to enjoy your stay. The hotel was very clean, bed comfortable and overall ok.

The not so good points. The hotel is quaint and there are signs of a lack of maintenance. The bedroom windows are frosted facing the “courtyard” and not much light enter the rooms. The overall feeling of the hotel is cold, dark and wet. The sounds of generators or air conditioners running as you walk through the corridors.

The WiFi is terrible. Really, really terrible. In this day and age I would expect consistent internet access at any establishment and you can’t blame the staff for not knowing how to deal with the issue.

I’ll avoid this hotel in the future.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank RogCup
Reviewed 19 May 2018

Durban is my place of birth, so it surprised me that I could not re-collect the Durban Manor Hotel. While it has street access to the esplanade - this symbol of a colonial past is overshadowed by the urban jungle that has sprung up around it.

The rooms, bathrooms, conference rooms, dinning rooms ... need TLC and work generally ... its a theme that is common from most reviews.

The gem in this story has to be the amazing, attentive, dedicated staff ... they literally hold the experience together.

Room tip: Ask for an esplanade facing room
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

11th of March I phone to make a booking the call was not handed well from the manor side all my details were given and a confirmed booking the gentleman stil called back
On arrival at4 oclock the same day
no booking was done the other guy on duty after I introduced myself he wanted to if I was already in the room then he tried making a booking
And rudely interrupted by Duty managerVivian Moyo and told me I was a rude pig and I am note attorney but my friends are and you with all your millions get out of here go go she said and called security of which they did nothing Moyo refused to give me the directors number hit the counter and said she is the Boss
all over South Africa for the Last 20years we have been nothing Like this
If I may add you don't serve breakfast like that disgusting and no presentation sorry as far as my partner says they don't know what they are doing how said I left the manor and nowhere to go flew back to Cape town

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2018

Unfortuanetly, we were booked in by a Travel agency. It was too late at night to go and seek other accommodation. The access to the hotel looks and smells terrible.
The bathroom does not have a shower, but a removable shower head. Then you have to wait 10min for the hot water. The mixer is broken, and the water was then too hot or ice cold. The Rooms were beautiful and big, but did not make up for the poor view of the old dilapidated hotel buildings.
The place is really old, and they have stunning furniture, but maintenance is non-existing.
The dining room is full of BLACK spider webs in the roof. And the value for the breakfast was appauling!
The bar did not even have the correct tumblers or mixers!
Friendly staff was the only good thing that was there.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Bella M
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Durban. This hotel is great for its location if you brave the downtown area for walking and it's a good hike to the golden mile (during the day).

The reception workers are lovely and gave us lots of advice.

Parking is free and secured in an indoor parking.

Our room was large and spacious. We had a queen bed and there were extra covers (a bit cold at night during their winter. The shower had hot water and decent pressure.

The downside is you can hear anything and everything. From the room beside you talking up to the wee hours at night or the employees walking around in the morning. The window in our room was a type of tempers glass but gave onto a corridor so no view.

Didn't appreciate the 2 creepy crawlers that were way too high up for us to kill...

Date of stay: July 2017