“St James on Venice is a special experience in Durban, South Africa”

The St. James on Venice
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Durban
Reviewed 4 March 2015

This was our first visit to South Africa and we wanted a quiet place in Durban for a night before our Safari at a nearby lodge. We wanted to find a hotel near the water, but now that I have visited the HUGE city of Durban, I know that the hotels "on the water" are actually across the street behind some bushes and only have a view from the upper rooms.
We found St James on Venice, located near "restaurant row" on Florida Street and in an "old world" area of Durban I'm glad we did not miss! This area has old homes that have been renovated or converted into businesses. the streets and architecture was beautiful...my favorite part of town. Our room was right off the private courtyard in the back of this renovated estate. The room was beautiful, with A/C and free wi-fi. The hotel manager could not have been more accommodating and knowledgeable about the area....and the food was wonderful. A full breakfast from the delectable menu was included with our room. We had room service, ordering the most fabulous chocolate mousse. Even if I lived in Durban, I would find this hotel a wonderful getaway for an evening or weekend. This hotel offers high tea and events (weddings, conferences) and a wonderful chef-inspired restaurant.
We walked to the beach...but I would say that visitors should probably catch a cab for $10.00. Durban itself, including the beach, was not very clean and I'm not sure how safe it would be to wander around at night. we had a car so we were able to park (free) at St James and although driving was a bit difficult...we managed it. Downtown was a bit crazy....I would grab a cab. Because you are close to restaurants...you can easily restaurant or bar hop on Florida St.

Room Tip: We loved being by the courtyard.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 December 2014

Everything about this small hotel was delightful. The staff were amazing, the rooms newly decorated and stylish and the area safe and secure. I will definitely stay again when in Durban. Staying there was a real "feel good " experience.....

Room Tip: The outside room where I stayed was lovely, with a small private courtyard
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 587traveller
Reviewed 15 December 2014

This is a wonderfull Place to stay! Rooms are modern and the staf is super with an excellent service!
Tip: ask The manager for things to do here in the town, she has the best tips for Everyone, no matter what you like to do.
To bad we only stayed for 1 night in Town, So we couldn't see the best of The town.

The St. James on Venice Hotel also served diner, a must visit in the Durban Area

Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2014

It was my first visit to South Africa for a official reason but I wanted to get the taste of the country too. What better way but to stay away from typical high-rise hotels that you will find everywhere.
At Saint James the surroundings are so serene and the decor is so tastefully done that you immediately feel at home.
The staff is very cordial and professional. All my requirements of food, connectivity and transport were addressed on priority and personally.
The GM Ms. Meleney is an excellent host who gave me so much of her otherwise busy schedule to inform me about Durban, food, tourist places and shopping areas. I am grateful to her as she personally took me around to beach and a drive through the nearby places. I have indeed got a good friend in this unknown city.
More about the hotel - excellent food choice, wine collection, wifi, transport arrangements and in- room services (good coffee and tea choices in the room).
I also loved the little surprise of some chocolate waiting for me in the room everyday.
Overall an excellent stay highly recommended for people on official and personal visit to Durban.
Sucheta Sivaraman
India

• Stayed: November 2014
2  Thank SSivaraman
Reviewed 30 November 2014

What a pleasure to stay at the St. James. The room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable (the bed was a dream) and my husband appreciated the free wifi connection so he could work. The staff was very friendly and most helpful. We definitely will return.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family