“Great feel for Durban”
Review of Street Scene Tours

Street Scene Tours
Ranked #5 of 72 Tours in Durban
More attraction details
Owner description: Street Scene Tours was created by Sthembiso Mbonanbi, Jonas Barausse and Richard Powell, in early 2010, with one unique goal set at its core; to showcase Durban to Durbanites. As you can imagine this is by no means the conventional stance of a tour operator, but Street Scene is not your conventional tour operator. They are constantly exploring Durban and its surrounds, ever on the lookout for nuggets of history and the many hidden gems the province has to offer.Durban and its surrounding areas are filled with a rich tapestry of history which is largely unknown not only to tourists, but also its residents. After all, Mahatma Gandhi made Durban his home for many years, and it was just outside Durban that Nelson Mandela cast his vote in the 1994 elections that forever changed South Africa. The great King Shaka Zulu also spent much time on the very land upon which Durbanites now call home.From the city's architecture to its people, Street Scene aims to engulf its guests in all that is Durban. They started out with their focus on locals but soon realized that when you create a set of tours that residents of the city love, you are guaranteed to have tours that visitors to the city will find riveting and unique. There is nothing conventional about Street Scene Tours, and that's just the way we like it.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great feel for Durban”
Reviewed 15 November 2016

We had an amazing day with our guide Lwazi who was born & raised in Durban. Not having much time, we selected the Super Scene tour which took us around some of the town center as well as the townships. The guide was very knowledgeable and a really nice guy. The highlights of the day were visiting Gandhi's house and having lunch in the Township. The food was amazing! It was called Shisanyama and is basically barbecued meat served with corn and Chakalaka (beans & peppers mixed in a spicy sauce) and was absolutely delicious. Try to avoid the Victoria Street Market which is basically a tourist trap for buying souvenirs and ask your guide to take you across the street into the actual local market where you will find people selling absolutely anything from spices & medicinal herbs to furniture. It's a great way to get a feel for downtown Durban. Would definitely recommend these tours.

Visited November 2016
1 Thank Tim M

Vancouver, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Taste the true Durban”
Reviewed 15 October 2016

So glad I got a chance to see Durban through Street Scene! Tour guide essentially gave me a private tour as I went during an off-peak time. Got to see everything I expected and then some. As other tour companies are focusing more on Cape Town, I found that my guide was so knowledgeable, accommodating, and friendly. Allowed me to stop for photos wherever I wanted, and tailored the day to exactly what I wanted to see, having spent a half-day with another tour operator earlier in the week. High points included herb and Victoria markets, the Gandhi house, Dube house where Mandela cast his vote in a free South Africa. Highly recommended if you want to learn the history, culture and tastes of Durban. Shishanyama bbq was a nice finish at a township pub!

Visited October 2016
1 Thank Ashram M
Durban, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extraordinary and fascinating visit of Durban!!!”
Reviewed 23 September 2016

Street Scene Tours was the most exciting tourist tour I experienced since I am in South Africa. I saw Durban like never before! Together immerged in key community hubs, we could admire, smell and taste the beauty of the Zulu culture as well as the warmth of its people. The sites chosen for the visit were unusual and exclusive; it is only thanks to the team of Street Scene Tours that we could access it so naturally and enjoy it so much. I could discover, understand and even feel part of the Zulu family for an exceptional moment! I feel deeply enriched with this unique experience of colours, sounds and spices. The team was very professional and friendly. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge! I can’t wait for the next trip!

Visited September 2016
1 Thank sophiemarie120
Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Excellent !!!”
Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Did the walking tour of Durban with a local guide - Iwazi. We were promptly collected from our hotel and driven to downtown Durban. Highly informative and engaging. Thoroughly recommended.

Visited July 2016
“Super experience”
Reviewed 9 July 2016

Beautiful combination of great information and nice real township lunch. I was super impressed by the knowlegde of the guide.

Visited May 2016