“Will be back again .....”
Review of Union Square

Union Square
Ranked #80 of 645 Restaurants in Durban
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Description: We are your "Neighbourhood Grill House". Our 100% pure beef patties are smashed and sizzled on the grill top, caramelised and complemented with nearly 20 different toppings of your choice. Our grilled chicken burgers are succulent fillets smothered in our house sauces and ensconced between a hot, fresh home-made bun. Wild wings, epic ribs and succulent steaks are basted in a variety of our daily-made speciality sauces. Wash it all down with our wide range of ice-cold craft beers on tap and in the bottle, or creamy and thick gourmet shakes!
Reviewed 1 August 2017

It is a long time since I ate out by myself, but with the other half that makes us a couple out of town on family business, this was an ideal time to sneak a preview of this establishment.
Had heard much about it and decided to see if the hype was genuine, or whether the honeymoon period of a new establishment was over.
Well it is hard to crit on just one meal and a pretty basic one at that, but I am sure that the other fare would be of the same standard.
Had a burger off the menu with slaw as a side. The slaw was very good albeit a tad heavy on the mayonnaise. Had a good flavour and mix. The burger was first class. Not the biggest I have ever had, but great pattie cooked right through ( so many have to be sent back- rare minced beef not to my satisfaction .... that is only for steak, solid steak!) One minor that stopped the rating short of 5 star regarding the food. On a burger there should be a relish or sauce - not mayonnaise. But this did not overly detract from the burger and I would have no hesitation of ordering the same again on return. But how much better it would have been with a relish ?
Service was polite and friendly, and the manager made a courtesy call to the table. Also not just a "is everything OK ? " and walk off before an answer can be given.
The honeymoon period for this establishment might be over , but the service and food and value for money make it a place that I would have no hesitation to visit again ... with others to try some of the other fare on offer.

BrendanZA, Owner at Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Thanks so much for taking the time out to provide U.S with some feedback Irish Mike :) We are so stoked to hear you enjoyed your time with U.S and hope to see you back again soon. I can confirm that we are in the process of looking into a burger relish of some variety and shall have to have you back to test it out and let us know if its up to scratch ;) Cheers

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

This restaurant was highly recommended to us by friends who eat there every week so we decided to try it out and were super impressed! From the décor to the food to the service, everything is perfect. The menu is diverse with so much to offer and can be customized to suit your needs and taste. By the way, their halloumi is out of this world a must have! Oh and their sweet potato fries are the best on this planet believe me, we've had sweet potato fries everywhere and none of them comes close to theirs. The adult milkshakes, featuring all the popular liqueurs, are to die for! All the food on the menu is great we highly recommend Union Square, day or night!

Thanks Annie!! you are too kind :) We are just happy to have an opportunity to do what we love day in and out and without you guys that would never be possible. Can't wait to have you guys back in store soon and I will be sure to pass along your kind words to all the team here at Union Square Hillcrest :) :)

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Ah, such an awesome place. I went there after I saw the ad on youtube and the burger did not disappoint. They have great beer as well. Also, let's not forget about the fries with melted cheese!!!! Absolutely delicious. The service was almost too good, we were in and out within the hour.

Lol Jarrod, no such thing man ;) We aim to please and are just stoked you were gracious enough to give U.S some feedback on your time with U.S here in Hillcrest. Without you chaps we can't do what we love so we are truly grateful for your continued support.

Hope to see you back again soon because now we have the next video worthy meal . . . . .The Trash Can Nachos!!!! BOOM!!!!! Just wait till you see and taste those . . .

Right off to lunch now that you got me thinking of Cheese Bombs and Nachos .

Thanks so much

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Visited this place after seeing the video of the cheese bomb burger..I just had to try it and it most certainly tasted as good as it looked! Will definitely be back in the near future! Thank you Union Square

Hey Merlin, shot for the shout out man!! That Cheese Bomb is flipping good hey?! Lol it has made me quite fat during the testing phase though ;) Be sure to check out the latest video by EAT101 on I Love Durban though to get some real FOOD FOMO!

Can't wait to see you guys back in store again soon and all the best

Regards

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I have visited Union Square several times and have never been disappointed. Both my husband and myself have enjoyed the burgers we have chosen. The meat is succulent and all the 'extras" such as chips and salads are always tasty and of a generous portion. It is certainly not a fine dining restaurant but a super place to go for a casual meal that will not break the bank. Service is always friendly and effecient.

Ah Ruth you are too kind!! Thanks so much for the support and for the kind words, we really appreciate your support and know that without you guys we would never be able to continue doing what we love so much!

We hope to see you back in again soon and please be sure to say hi when next you are in :)

Regards